collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What the...? Really? Public Pony Buying Horror Stories  (Read 5886 times)

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What the...? Really? Public Pony Buying Horror Stories
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »
When I was a kid, little toys like the blind bags were dispensed in the coin operated machines by the front where all the impulse buys were. If a company just made a coin machine for toys like they do for sodas, it would cut down on the problem. Modern machines like that have a better system than the old ones where you could "trick" the mechanism inside by putting a coin on a string. Leaving them out where people can open them or look at the numbers makes it easier for theft or destruction. I know some stores have machines for sodas that offer several different companies, so if they can do that for soda, theoretically they can do it for toys. The cost would be the problem, but Hasbro has had stuff like this for years. Lego blind bags are super popular, too. Long term, the cost of the machines would be less than the loss, I imagine....:/

But back to topic, it doesn't make sense to me to steal toys. It never has. The only thing I tried to steal in my life was marbles that were in flower decorations. When my mom turned me over her leg and spanked me in the store, I learned my lesson. Just saying...public humiliation and being told WHY it is wrong and how the act hurts others (and not to be entitled to anything you haven't earned, even if just by asking permission) makes you want to change your mind about stealing.

Offline RavenFeather

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
Yesterday I found my first stolen blind bag at walmart.  It was Sassaflash (They left the card).  But out of a whole two boxes, only one was stolen and there were five left in the last box.  I was pretty impressed.  Almost all the other blind bags get stolen into though...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Thanks Bronely!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 12:06:51 PM »
It's so sad that our society is filled with people who live their lives with the theory, "I can do whatever I want unless someone catches me and punishes me, but until then, I make my own rules!" 

The only time I was vaguely involved in something like this was when my friends decided to help themselves to some hair care items while I wasn't paying attention.  As we were leaving, the loss prevention people asked us to step into the office.  I was infuriated that my friend had actually done this, especially since the store called the police and treated us ALL like we had done the stealing.  I wasn't allowed to see one of my friends again after that incident, due to her parents' reaction.  In fact, my mom forbade me from saying goodbye to one of my other friends as I was leaving for college in another state that weekend. 

I'm still banned from going to this store, by the way.  Since it's  a local chain only found in one state, I don't think it's that big of a deal.  If I stepped into the place, I also don't think they'd even remember me, given it's been thirteen years!  But I never forgot the humilating experience... I think MORE people need to be threatened and scared over their bad behavior.  Perhaps it would curb their impulses a bit.  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

ChenilleTwist

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
Here's a solution, they ought to package the BB's in the 100% compostable bags that Sun Chips had last year. The ones that were allegedly louder than a Jet cockpit, forcing the company to go back to the normal bags after the flood of complaints! (95 decibels is quite a lot for a snack bag)

I would love to see the look on a potential thief's face as that BB bag practically screams "somebody's stealing from meeee!!" (however, getting the codes might become a loud chore too!)

I would not be so quick to blame the fandom of Brony for these indiscretions though, but perhaps part of the problem is some of the thieves that aren't sticky-handed children are simply ashamed to be seen at the check-out with ponies in their cart? They want the pony, but they don't want to get weird looks from the check-out clerk or other customers. I've heard some pretty awful stories about male pony fans being harassed and called pedophiles or creeps for buying pony merchandise. I don't mean under the breath mutterings and death glares, I mean loud condemnations the whole store can hear, and one story that actually ended with a Brony TRU employee having to intercede, telling one particularly judgmental grandmother off. I guess she was under the impression that the ponies are still "5 year old girls" :P

That doesn't excuse the theft even in the least, however. If you're that ashamed, can't stand up for yourself against judgmental idiots, or cannot find someone to pick them up for you: either pony up the dough for an online purchase, or simply do without.  You're not entitled to free stuff just because you're put upon.  >_<

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2012, 01:15:25 PM »
@Chenille: Yes I don't think anyone was singling out one particularly group of people. I suspect it's both kids and older collectors (or bored teenagers) who do this.

(Random thought I just had: Why don't these people take the bags too, so there's no evidence of their crime left behind? lol. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my brother would get in trouble for using the stove to cook eggs when my parents weren't home. He'd always leave the eggshells on the sideboard so of course he would get a talking to as soon as they got home. As he was getting chided I would be sitting in the other room thinking 'Why didn't he just throw out the eggshells so they didn't know what he did?' :P )
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Akemi-chan

• Matcha-flavored Teeny Tiny
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+147)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Baby Pony Addict
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:56 PM »
I haven't actually seen it happen, but I kept passing an opened Sweetie Swirl.

I felt so bad about no one wanting her that I stuck her back in the package and ended up buying her myself.

OMG Racheleyes, you are too sweet!

Luckily in my area, the bronies (or those catering to the bronies) aren't thieves.  At least, I haven't seen anything; just a lot of empty shelving for months.

Have you fan-girled today, [you]?
*For Sale or Trade*
*Wishlist*

Offline BigBrotherPony

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »
I'm surprised that Hasbro make the bags so easy to open.

I work for another toy company , who introduced blind bag offerings in the US way before Hasbro. In fact blind bags, we're so unheard of in the US that all the major retailers refused to stock them as they were scared of the content being stolen.

We had to purposely make our bags as difficult to open as possible to discourage people from trying to do it in store.

This obviously makes it more frustrating for the consumers actually buying the toys that it is hassle to open when they get home, but at least it helps reduce theft and damage in stores.

Now the category has boomed, but I am surprised the retailers didn't have the same mandate in Hasbro.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:07:17 PM by BigBrotherPony »

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »
Here's a solution, they ought to package the BB's in the 100% compostable bags that Sun Chips had last year. The ones that were allegedly louder than a Jet cockpit, forcing the company to go back to the normal bags after the flood of complaints! (95 decibels is quite a lot for a snack bag)

I would love to see the look on a potential thief's face as that BB bag practically screams "somebody's stealing from meeee!!" (however, getting the codes might become a loud chore too!)

LOL those bags were so ridiculous!
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline yaizel

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://chikapaw.livejournal.com/
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »
and that´s why most of the small toys like blind bags here are kept locked on most sores... also MH dolls... and why put a huge amount of super strong tape on most LPS boxes and so :P
the better pic of all artist is in the heart

Pinecone

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
I think it would be neat if they released capsule versions in machines. What I mean is, put the toys in a plastic ball/egg, put a coin in the machine, and dispense. I'm not sure how popular these are in the U.S but you see them all the time in Canada (probably because it's easier to put in dollar amounts when you have dollar coins.)

Yeah, you might end up getting doubles, but it would be fun!

I don't think wanting a certain pony justifies destroying others' property. This could result in more difficult packaging and prices being raised. I don't care how much anyone wants a certain pony, you don't open these things!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
I'm surprised that Hasbro make the bags so easy to open.

I work for another toy company , who introduced blind bag offerings in the US way before Hasbro. In fact blind bags, we're so unheard of in the US that all the major retailers refused to stock them as they were scared of the content being stolen.

We had to purposely make our bags as difficult to open as possible to discourage people from trying to do it in store.

This obviously makes it more frustrating for the consumers actually buying the toys that it is hassle to open when they get home, but at least it helps reduce theft and damage in stores.

Now the category has boomed, but I am surprised the retailers didn't have the same mandate in Hasbro.

Cost, plain and simple, the stores and companies figure it is easier to loose a few then make the product more expensive to sell.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2012, 03:14:23 PM »
Oh, cost might contribute to the fact that I've never seen any stolen. TRU is the only store that stocks them and they cost $5 each... maybe $5 worth of pony weighs on people's mind more.
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
(Random thought I just had: Why don't these people take the bags too, so there's no evidence of their crime left behind? lol. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my brother would get in trouble for using the stove to cook eggs when my parents weren't home. He'd always leave the eggshells on the sideboard so of course he would get a talking to as soon as they got home. As he was getting chided I would be sitting in the other room thinking 'Why didn't he just throw out the eggshells so they didn't know what he did?' :P )
Because the bags have the barcode on them, and the security systems trigger it:P
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2012, 03:32:46 PM »
Because the bags have the barcode on them, and the security systems trigger it:P

Barcodes can trigger security systems? I thought you had to have some kind of metal strip in the item to trigger it - I've found them in books, and stuck onto expensive electronics' boxes, but never on a pony. I figured it was too expensive of a solution to bother with for a $5 toy.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »
I partially think people steal them because they're a ridiculous price. 3.49 per BB here, and I do find them frequently opened (but usually the pony is left inside the bag) When the brushables are 6 or 7 dollars...why bother buying a hard plastic pony that does nothing in comparison?

This of course doesn't excuse the theft. I mean, I think the price is ridiculous so I just don't buy them, OR steal them. I only buy when they're BOGO.

Also yeah, barcodes don't trigger the system--only special stickers do. Sometimes you'll see them on CDs and DVDs.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal