collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Washing G1 plush ponies?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
Washing G1 plush ponies?
« on: August 25, 2012, 12:36:43 PM »
While digging through all the stuff I have I found my G1 plush ponies which I discovered are abit dirty. Beeing paranoid as I am I'm debating wether or not it's safe to wash them in the washingmachine or not?

I also have some Care Bears in somewhat desperate need of washing.

So what suggestions do you guys have? Can the G1 plush ponies and vintage Care Bears handle machine washing or am I gonna have to wash them by hand? I might add that they are in fantastic condition otherwise if this matters.
And if washing them by hand, any suggestions on how to do it and still get them properly clean since I have bad experinece with handwashing stuff :P
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:53:13 PM by hathorcat »
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Washing G1 plush ponies?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
well  what diid for mine (if there the large one)  stick them in say a pillow case adn toss them into   a washer in a delciates cyle.  mine came out  just fine,

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
I agree putting them in a pillow case to keep the eyes from scratching is a good idea.  Also using a gentle cycle is probably better.  Now with the care bears some of them have hair that will get melty in the dryer.  It will fuse together and kind of be matted down and fused instead of nice soft hair and it's hard to fix once it's damaged like that.  So I would say do not put them in the dryer.  Let them sit outside in the heat or maybe just do a surface wash without a lot of penetrating moisture. Let me grab some pics off google image if I am allowed.

Ok so this one has proper hair... 

This one has most likely been through the dryer...
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Dusky

• Trade Count: (+134)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Clockwork Firebird Designs
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »
Never, ever tumble dry them! Their hair will frizz and melt!

Yes they'll survive the washer but their bodies will seem softer afterwards, and I'd recommend putting them in something like a thick pillowcase or else their eyes will scratch up. Generally, handwashing is better for them.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
yeah do not under any circumstances put them in the dryer XD   just hang them out on the clotehsline. or  bathrube if you dont have a clotehs line

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
I have to second everyone's opinion: they will do fine in the washing machine if you put them in a pillow case. that's what I do with any new plushie I bring home (apart from those that have electronics that can't be taken out), and I never had a problem. I usually choose the most gentle and the least hot cycle (30°C - it doesn't need to be hot, because normally there's no actual dirt to get off, they only need a little freshening and getting rid of dust, and for that this temperature's okay too). and yeah, don't put them in the dryer. let them sit around for awhile (depending on how hot it is) and dry out. I usually put them on a plastic bag and put them next to open windows (this way you can also avoid the little marks clips may leave on them if you hang them on the clothesline. you can put them out in the garden too if you have one), more intense air circulation helps them lose water more quickly and also airs them, so they won't get smelly because of water getting stuck inside them.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:15:44 PM by Loona »

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
I don't even have a dryer so no worries there :P I always have to sqeeze in one of those big things you hang your clothes to dry on into the mess that is this flat XD So I'm gonna have to put them all on that to dry. Don't have much of a posibility to put them near any windows or outside =/

Couldn't help but laughing at poor Brave Heart. He got an afro thing going on there in the last picture :P

Anyway, I have some laundrybags for delicate clothes that I was thinking I could put them in. And I'll run them in a gentle program and hope for the best then :)
Thanks for the advice and if anyone have more keep em' comming cuz' I'm not doing any laundry for another 12 hours at least hehe.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 01:55:57 PM »
Yes pillow case and the delicate cycle is the best bet and works really well...I normally just let them drip dry standing up :) And they are all fluffy and shiny and new!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal