collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Who do you think did best this week? The winner will play a role behind the scenes with the judges for the next challenge!

Abbey
35 (33.3%)
Aria
13 (12.4%)
Cupid
36 (34.3%)
Jordan
4 (3.8%)
Kalma
13 (12.4%)
Lilitha
2 (1.9%)
Nanami
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: August 23, 2012, 07:51:34 PM

Author Topic: Challenge 6 - Evaluation  (Read 2282 times)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Challenge 6 - Evaluation
« on: August 21, 2012, 07:51:34 PM »
Good evening, ghouls. It is time for your evaluation.

You recall our judges:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Challenge 6 - Monsters alla Ripley by tuneful87, on Flickr
Your critique, in alphabetical order:

Abbey:

Janice: DAMN. The Jedi have returned, and they're beyond fabulous. Everything about your shot worked this week. Your pose is lethal, your outfit dynamite, and your expression cuts like a lightsaber. Bravo.

Tyra: Jedi Abbey is my favorite Abbey so far! Strong, competent and oh-so FABULOUS! The way you hold that lightsaber, your determined facial expression and the overall ambiance of this photo make the nerd side of me much too excited. We've seen you go from shy, quiet, dainty Abbey to one of the most amazing looking space warriors I have ever seen! Just be sure not to forget to keep focus on your photographer; A little eye contact can go a long way.

Nigel: I will admit the Sith has always been my favorite and Abbey my dear you capture it to PERFECTION!  I'll be on any side if it looks THAT good! The pose is classic 'Force-user" grabbing something to toss aside or at something and those boots ... ONLY someone strong in the force could wear them!  Ingenious use of Rochelle's headband by the way!  Only thing I'm missing really ... Force-bolts ... just saying.

Sigourney: Comparing this to your work thus far, it is clear to me that this is your best shot yet. You’re giving us lots of leg, a gorgeous elevated face, and superb body movement. The ‘force’ emitting from your hand is epic, and the way you’re pulling back your lightsaber, ready to strike again…it makes me hunger for more. Additionally, I like the mood here – are we in an abandoned alley? Warehouse?  Where is the enemy? Are you about to destroy? Or be destroyed? It doesn’t matter, really – our eyes are only on you. Wonderful work.

Aria:

Janice: Ghoul, you always look gorgeous as hell; but again this week, your lack of movement is putting me to sleep! Though your outfit and props are freakishly fabulous, cyberspace looks boring to you - ergo to me.

Tyra: Well, it's obvious judging by your relaxed demeanor that you've done this before! This is a truly fantastic photo that has so much sci-fi goodness to look at, yet we don't lose focus on you..And  dang you make one gorgeous space traveler!

Nigel: Hmmm Space mod *lowers visor* I see what you did there ghoul.  Flattery gets you ... EVERYWHERE! *Tyra gives him a brain duster*  Sense of modelling is excellent.  I have no clue if your sellin the hoverboard, the arm claw, the glasses, or just visiting the city in the sky ... but I want it!.  It is a touch disconcerting to see the effect of fast motion with a body posture that seems to say "this is a simple joy ride".  I do enjoy the blended feel of  Marty McFly and Blade Runner ... two spectacular films if I may say so!

Sigourney: You clearly had a vision, and you spectacularly brought it to life. I love the city towers and the stream of energy following your board. Your hair looks perfect, and it’s wonderful to see you in a full on action shot. (I don’t know what Janice is talking about!) That being said, your biggest weakness here is your arms. Your right should be outstretched behind you, helping you find your balance. I’ve never seen a sports enthusiast coasting along with their arms bound by their side! Otherwise, spectacular.

Cupid:

Janice: Darling, you kicked alien keister this week. If only you could have combined your two shots - one gave a great angle on your bod, but your expression was too distant. The other had the killer expression I was looking for, but was chopped at the torso! At this stage of the game, we need all your talents, babe.

Tyra: OH MY RA, CUPID GONE ROGUE! I can't wrap my claws around how much I love the badassery of our sweet, girly little Cupid now looking like she's ready to kick some ass with a high-powered military weapon while also still looking fierce as can be! You go, ghoul! Phew!

Nigel: Nigel: I still can't watch that movie alone, without it being broad daylight, the crypt locked and every last light on ... the mussed hair, the sense of an antsy, tightly would space survivor stranded all alone is PERFECTION!  You have captured the 'careless' toss of your head to move that lock of hair out of the way to a 'T' and I think G.I.Joe needs to be worried about his career cause Cupid Joe is MOVING IN!

Sigourney: This brings back fond memories, and memories that make me scared as hell. You channeled me perfectly here, and yeah, I think you deserve brownie points for trying to woo me. *scatters brownie points in Cupid’s way*. I love it all – the menacing Alien in the background, your unsuspecting yet alert face, the motion to your limbs, the ‘hide and seek’ vibe. Your hair is amazing, too, and I’m happy to see some shadow on your face. It adds a new dimension to you that we otherwise would not have seen. Overall, in one word: brilliant. This photo tells a story, one that I’ve lived before and NEVER want to live again.

Jordan:

Janice: Shades of Katy Perry! You're like an ethereal angel floating in space. Your outfit choice was flawless. I just wish you'd found a pair of killer boots or heels to compliment your look - your little legs look a bit bare against all the pageantry.

Tyra: Mystical! Magical! Floating outer space goddess! You look divine and your face looks absolute beautiful. If there was one critique, it'd be that I wish your legs were posed a bit differently or perhaps you had something on your bare little feet. Can you tell we're starting to get low on things to whine over??

Nigel: A Moon Empresses or Star Princess, you are looking FABULOUS! The only thing I am not quite liking is I wish your adorable antennae were a little more standoutish against your lovely locks dearie.  Minor I know, but I love the sense of weightlessness and motion conveyed by the position of your feet and the wrinkles/folds in the backdrop.

Sigourney: I like the supernatural feel you're immersing yourself in, Jordan - you're clearly giving us a blend of fantasy and science fiction. While I'm a sci-fi fan at heart, I appreciate and understand what you've done. The star antlers, glowing balls, and stars and fabric lend to a world grounded in an alternate dimension. The expression on your face is divine. But from a model's perspective, I feel that you do a disservice by showing your feet. In my opinion, it takes away from the majesty of the piece. Letting the dress fall in its natural state and putting your left hand on your hip would have taken you from a sweet looking space nymph to a powerful looking, intimidating, and possibly dangerous villainous. And that would have completely starstuck me.

Kalma:

Janice: So: you're on a hostile alien planet, armed to to teeth, ready for battle - why do you look so insanely cheerful?! Your pose is casual - tra la la, battling an evil alien, then off for tea - and your expression far too happy for the situation. Although the background, the hair, the outfit, and the weapons all scream sci-fi, your own lovely self does not match the milieu. A more dramatic profile shot of your fierce face might have improved things.

Tyra: The outfit? Fangtastic! The background? Stellar? That wig and weapon?! Love it! But darling, you look a bit too calm for being on a possibly dangerous space mission. You look more "Lalalalala taking a stroll through mars~" when you should be more like "HERE COMES KALMA, SPACE THUGS! GONNA MESS YA'LL UP AND STILL LOOK LIKE ONE HOT B*TCH WHILE DOING IT!" However, I must admit, I still do love the overall feel of this photo quite a bit!

Nigel: I want to run up to you and fluff your GLORIOUS hair!  I do tend to get more of a movie poster vibe than a modeling shot vibe here though.  A tough-as-nails stand your ground with weapons drawn (and blazing) shot might have done you some more justice than a sauntering walk with a distance directed gaze. Model ling must come first , but i feel it barely places top five in this shot as impressive as it it.  Outfit and accessories are fantastic, backdrop is superb, but I think the model factor got a smidge lost in there somewhere.

Sigourney: It feels like I'm looking at myself here, Kalma. The alien world around you is a stunning backdrop, and has me completely convinced of your environment. This looks like a scene from a movie - one of MY movies, I might add - yet it's not something I would see in a fashion magazine. The neon green arm is undoubtedly futuristic and could be used creatively in a fashion shoot, but it appears as if you're in a light trot here. A faster pace would have worked better for a photoshoot - your legs in an exaggerated run, your arms at a sharper angle, perhaps even a profile shot. And I would have liked to see you wearing the goggles rather than using them as a barely seen prop. I feel as if everything here is the setup for a brilliant shot - the background, the props, the badass outfit - but the modeling itself leaves more to be desired in my opinion.

Lilitha:

Janice: Girl, you're looking massively fierce this week. I'd hate to cross space-weapons with you. The lighting cascading down from above gives you a total warrior-goddess vibe. However, I wanted to see a shot like this with your whole body. Your legs aren't modeling - they're just standing there! Work the whole anatomy if you want to succeed.

Tyra: Beautiful amazon space women, I love this! I sure as hell wouldn't want to mess with you and whatever tribe you're a part of..  I just wish there was more Lilitha to look at than we're seeing here - it would've certainly given this photo the little push it needs to be a bit more BAM!

Nigel: I think the impressive weapons built into your outfit would pierce even my stoney hide!  I too am getting a strong One Million B.C. vibe, and, dare i say ... tones of Barbarella.  Your spaceship hallway backdrop was stunning, but something was just off in them and they best way I can describe it is as another put it, remember to model with your whole body.  Angels, motions, moevements must flow together, your upper body can't speak of tension while your legs scream "just standing here for a shot!".  Courageous, wonderful oufit though, and in this shot I adore how it looks otherworldly

Sigourney: Lilitha, I feel as if you've taken me into a dystopian future ruled by barbarians and dinosaurs. Your rack in profile is impressive to say the least, and your hair and weapon of choice solidify yourself as the next Raquel Welch of One Million Years B.C. fame. Your face looks regal and yet authoritative. This photo is a classic example of how you can present a sci-fi vibe without an expensive or elaborate set. That being said, the rest of your film was not quite as impressive. In all of them, it was your legs that did you in. All your confidence and authority is being expressed in your upper body. Below the waist? Not so much. Remember to model with your whole body.

Nanami:

Janice: You look a little thrown-together this week. Your hair is killer, but the rest of the shot is just dead. Even T-Rex has a "what the hell am I doing here?" look. I like your weapon choice, but I had to search to find your arm - too much foreshortening.

Tyra: Goodness, it takes some serious guts to get in a shoot with a dinosaur! Your pose is truly powerful, but while I like seeing you all tough, it's a bit…simple. I like it, but I haven’t been WOW’D. Wow me, Nanami Musaki! I know you have it in you!

Nigel: My dear, that isn't any My Little Pony I'VE ever seen!  The foreshortening on your arm is interesting but a bit distracting, it really grabs me and halts my eyes there.  The amazing "HALT! Who goes there!? Stop or i'll shoot!" is wonderful.  You've glammed it up and given us model as well.

Sigourney: You were born to be a redhead. Don’t deny it. Your hair steals the show here, and your ‘too cool for school’ look works surprisingly well. But for having a gun AND a T-Rex backing you, your body is…weak. You could have given us a fierce pose that demanded our attention, but your knees are bent forward, and you’re only loosely holding the reins to your pet dino. I like where you were going with this, but I’m certain you could have taken it to the next level.

Rhonda:
For those of you who are unaware, Rhonda has chosen to leave the competition. We are so sad to see you go, Rhonda! You had a great run! Some of your competition may be wondering, ‘Does this mean no one will be eliminated this round?’ Oh, my little models, you know how the judges like to keep you on your toes! There may be an elimination…or there may not. We are still in discussion. Brace yourselves!

Good luck, everyone! You did a fabulous job, and may the best ghoul win!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:27:06 PM by America's Next Top Monster »

Babushka

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Challenge 6 - Evaluation
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 07:59:20 PM »
Oh no, Rhonda! I have been quietly watching and voting (I'm an MLP collector who cannot resist MH doll photos for some reason) and I wanted her to take it all!

Oh well . . . I hope all is okay!

On another note, Kalma, you worked it for me today!

Miserati

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 08:15:42 PM »
I had a really rough time debating between 3 of the photos this week. I thought the challenge here was definitely challenging and you all did a very creative job pulling things together and bringing out the sci fi!

My vote this week went to Cupid. All that dark (and the alien lurking in the background) paired with her candy pink hair -- it really brought my attention to the model without sacrificing the darker details of the entire picture. Her face looks tense and serious with the shadows but she still looks beautiful.

Offline 4Lindy

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
WOW!  Awesome pics everyone!  So hard to choose a fave this week!  Keep up the good work ghouls!!

Huge Thanks to Alrak, SourdoughStomper and Mari for my Super Sweetie Siggy\'s!

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:22:32 PM »
HELP ME RHONDA!

WHERFORE DID YOU GO!?!?!? *head desk*

the competition has decidedly gone much less green :(
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:29:40 PM »
Poor Rhonda..You'll surely be missed. A scifi witch would've been so awesome. :( :heart:
But whooaaaa these ghouls! I'm completely blown away by the creativity this week.  :shocked:
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:46:51 PM »
Once again... if only it were actually possible to change the expression of a doll that has, ya know, a static fixed expression XD Kalma's smile works for some shots but is a curse at other times. I did try some shots with her wearing the goggles, but I kinda felt like hiding half of her face wasn't really going to do me any favors. 

I loved Abbey so much this week - you go ghoul!

It's also interesting to see what sort of effects and things people used this week. Although this competition really isn't about heavy photoshop and editing, it's nice to see little touches mixed in with self created props and backgrounds.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:53:28 PM by NoDivision »

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:49:32 PM »
Yeah, I totally failed this week.  Wouldn't be surprised if it was my week to go, should there be an elimination, but I'm ok with that, I got much farther than I expected lol.  I think I would've done better if I didn't have to retake the pics.  Even I'm not happy with them at all.  Her knees, like I mentioned before, have gotten really floppy, so she had to lean on mr steve back there or she wasn't going to stand at all.  I tried to get a better pose, but it was getting to the point where she was collapsing the second I let go of her, and I just cut my losses before I ended up throwing her across the room :/ If I continue past here, I'll have to get creative with her when standing her.

I agree that Nanami makes one stunning redhead, tho, lol.

I voted for Abbey.  Her pose is awesome and looks very animated.  Aria's is lovely too, but personally my eye was drawn to the background first, but I'm a sucker for pretty scenes lol.

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 09:04:05 PM »
i was super excited about this weeks shoot -- cause it was an excuse to use my Alien ponies ---yes, the Alien in my shoot is a PONY!

I LOVE all the spacey themes this week -- abbey looks fierce, killer "special effects" work on aria,  jordan practically glows in the dark, kalma - that wig is ROCKIN, ZOMG silver boob cones :D, and the dino shot cracks me up! everyone did AMAZING :D

Offline kamakazee82

• HesheR
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ... i saw a mouse ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
that wig is AMAZING on her Prismatic! the red really makes her eye makeup just LEAP out at you! :)
"Doth mother know you weareth her drapes?"

Taeyang and MLP are my drugs of choice ... that and the mountain dew flowing through my veins ... LIKE RADIOACTIVE RUBBER PANTS!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
I do dig that red wig! I played around with a few wigs, but I ended up loving this fur one. I'm totes keeping it on Kalma's spare head :D

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
Cupid for sure. She just screams Ripley;)
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
lol i love that Kalma has a spare head XD

Post Merge: August 21, 2012, 09:30:49 PM

Cupid for sure. She just screams Ripley;)

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »
Cupid for me too, the Alien series are my fav and Cupid rockin her pink 'do with the pony alien in the back is just pure win. 

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
WOW!  :dropjaw: Seriously not envying the judges right now....Great job this week everyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal