collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Show me your rescued and/or pampered pets!  (Read 7921 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Show me your rescued and/or pampered pets!
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »
Some of you may remember my post back in June, but for those that don't, I adopted my first furry pet back in June :) a 6 year old domestic long haired kitty named Harry >3<

A very grumpy Harry, waiting for me to rescue him from petco
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snoozin' his first night

when he's sleeping completely knocked out, he always covers his face with his paw XD I think it's cute

Harry in a sexy hat

His most recent picture (he sleeps a lot >_>)

I still cant believed he was called /SHY/ on his info card that was attached to his cage! He is the most attentive cat ever! He follows me everywhere, insists on sleeping next to me, always has to be laying next to me no matter what I'm doing, and is often waiting at the door when I come home.
Absoultely love Professor Harry McFluffikins ;u;

I was extremely worried that I wouldn't get along with him, because I brought him home on a bit of extreme impulse, but he's my best buddy, and I can't imagine my life without him now ;u;

<random better photo>

</random better photo>
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:02:22 AM by Knibitz »

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »
omg Knibitz, that last photo of Harry is stunning! His eyes are so intense, such a gorgeous kitty!  :lovey:
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2012, 07:01:09 AM »
I adopted Noob from the shelter during a rough time. I have a video of her when she was a baby.. http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/SeraphLena/?action=view&current=100_0513.mp4  You can sort of see a bit of how playful she is there.. Now take that video, and imagine her doing more wild flips and twists all over my husband, and even gnawing on his hand. I sold that one to cheeseburger.com or however you spell it.. They sent me a random email one day asking to buy it, so I said yes and had to remove it from the internets.

Here is Noob when she was a year or so.  Small enough to fit in the cubby hole on my desk. Sometimes she still tries to fit in there, but she is way too big.

Originally her name was "Noob Goblin" because I took her in the shower with me when she was small, to clean her. At her age, her claws didn't do much and it was way easier than using the sink! Anyway, when I got done bathing her, she looked like a little gremlin or goblin. It was sort of cute. Since then, I have shortened it to just Noob.

She is a chatter box. She will walk around meowing her head off over nothing. She will chat with you too if you talk to her. She insists on sleeping curled up right beside my head, and she HATES closed doors. If there is a closed door between her and I, she will literally meow for hours nonstop.

She picks on my older cat Charlotte a lot, but the two seem to love each other for the most part I don't think Charlotte likes Noob as much as Noob likes her.. Charlotte will hiss at Noob and get up and go away if Noob walk up while we are snuggling and wants to join in. I let her join in, Charlotte leaves, and then Noob struggles to get away from me to follow Charlotte. lol. She didn't care about hanging out with me at all! She just wanted to annoy Charlotte.

Charlotte wasn't a rescue. I got her from a co worker who would have taken care of her even if I hadn't got her.. But she is my first kitty. She is my baby. Noob is my brat :P

To this day, I continue to be a living pillow as far as Charlotte is concerned. She likes to wriggle under the covers and lay on my belly. We fall asleep like that often. I'll have my husband beside me, Charlotte on my belly, and Noob in the crook of my arm. I always feel so loved during those moments.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2012, 07:33:25 AM »
Sarge came off of the track in 2008 a month or so before his 4th birthday. He's 8 years old now... Lucky guy raced for a long time, 120 races, started in Texas and then made his way to a WI rescue group.
We visited the rescue group that had him, (March 2008) Sarge ignored me (turned away completely when I walked by him, didn't even lean to be petted), there was a brindle female we were looking at, but she was way too energetic. My husband liked Sarge immediately. We filled out adoption paperwork that day.
Waited another week... My husband went to go see the greyhounds again, I couldn't go, so he went with his sister, Sarge was there and they both loved him.
Our application was approved and Sarge came home over spring break in April 2008 so I could be home with him to alleviate any anxiety he had. At first he had a very hard time being left home alone. He has gotten over that. He has totally warmed up to us, a total lovey and we love him sooooo much.

He sleeps in some weird positions...

he tolerates so much.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »
:lovey: Sarge is a stunner! :lovey:

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Heliodor

• Sorcerer Prince
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
I rescued this lovely lady in 2007. She is my mainstay because I rescued her right after I got out of the hospital for trying to commit suicide (it wasn't the first time, but it was the first time I told someone and ended up in hospital.) My motivation for getting out of the hospital was to be with my g/f again, and to bring this girl into my life, I had a picture of her with me in the ward. She was left in a cardboard box under the porch of an abandoned house. She had just given birth to a litter, but only one of them was alive. She was 1 year old (approx) when I brought her home.

Her full name is AMELIA BEDILIA. Of course she takes her name from:

THE OTHER AMELIA BEDILIA. She is so named because she is black & white and it reminded me of Amelia Bedelia's maid outfit, and because she is pretty goofy and sometimes a bit Not Getting It. But for short she is:

MS AMELIAS. (Has to have the S).

No Ms Melias turn around the audience is this way.

THERE SHE IS.

One of the things Ms. Melias loves doing is smashing herself into narrow tunnel-like spaces so that she is snug. Between her litter box and the front of her cage there is just such a narrow tunnel-like space. After Ms. Melias eats and has a drink, she likes to slide across the non-carpeted part of her floor right into that little cranny.

She likes it when I stick my finger through the little opening right above her nose, and pet it, when she's doing that.

But if she's outside her cage she has to make do with other narrow tunnel-like spaces.

She then demands head pets accordingly. (She likes it when you smash her head into the floor while petting her. You can't make this stuff up.)

This is a head waiting to be smashed ^.

Ms. Melias also likes to bunny-loaf everywhere.

Ms. Melias chillin' while I clean her cage.

CAN YOU FIND THE RABBIT IN THIS PHOTO?

LOAFIN'

LOAFIN'

SEMI-LOAFIN' ON THE RIVER (of timothy hay)...

MS MELIAS WHY ARE YOU EATING YOUR SALAD OVER THE EDGE OF YOUR BOX, JUST GET OUT OF YOUR BOX AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BEND ALL WEIRDLY.

"Oh."

Ms Melias also enjoys scrambling over you like you are rocks.

And eating Boethius' Consolation of Philosophy while you are trying to finish it for Medieval Literature class. NO MS MELIAS.

But she also has the cutest most adorable bunny nose in the world.

...so she is always forgiven.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 09:53:25 AM by Heliodor »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2012, 02:01:24 PM »
Rofl cub that is THE bag you sent him in that picture xD I knew this picture was from a swap brag I just couldn't remember exactly which one xD

Oh yeah, i see Hy-Vee on it!  :lmao:  He is so freaking cute.

Thanks Cub :D she thinks so too lol - she is such a Diva, and so much personality!

Haha!  Don't they all?  XD

he's so naughty! every time i turn around he's torn something up.

LOL!  My mom's rabbit did that to some of my stuff--including some CORDS!  Thanks goodness they weren't plugged in.  Love the story about the birds, too.

Harry--  "Get me OUT of this @!_##) cage!"  LOL  Orange cats are my favorites after calicoes.

She is a chatter box. She will walk around meowing her head off over nothing.

LOL  She's adorable, and I love that video.

Aw!  Sarge is one lanky dog.  XD  He looks like a sweetie.  lol at his sleeping position.

(She likes it when you smash her head into the floor while petting her. You can't make this stuff up.)

LOL!  I love the weird quirks pets have.  I have a friend who had a cat that liked to be spanked on the flank.  :shakes head:  Psycho pets.  Love 'em!

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
We adopted our beautiful girl Kelli 4 years ago. She's a big baby who thinks she's a lap dog.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
:lovey: Sarge is a stunner! :lovey:
Thank you very much Pinkamena.  :hug: :ohyeah:

Aw!  Sarge is one lanky dog.  XD  He looks like a sweetie.  lol at his sleeping position.
Thanks Cubbie, yeah he's quite a door blocker. He stretches out and can put his front paws on my husbands shoulders, so we're talking almost 6 feet long completely stretched out! I swear he does yoga some nights...  :haha:

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
Lily is your typical Humane Society rescue. I think she was simply one of those rescue pets that were dropped off as kittens because she was young when I got her and no obvious underlying pshycological problems that you can get with rescue cats. She's a ballsey little kitty. She's now just over a year old and just too cute.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Bugle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
Here are my pets (Over half are rescues, and Nina our Lab Drop Off Is Currently Looking For A Home!):

Horses:

Farin - Our beautiful stallion who recently arrived in the US of the A.. Not a rescue by any means, but certainly special!

Duchess - Again Not A Rescue *Promise I do have rescues if you scroll down!* THE MOST PERFECT HORSE.. My partner even agrees on this one.. At a shocking 17.3 she is truly a gentle giant.. She is preggy also.. So SUPER excited for little baby diplo ("diplodocus" her nickname as she is just so huge!)... Also flying to america soon! So excited.

Aurora - Rescue Race Horse, Very Professional, But Very Kind.. Not Into Love Much.. But When People Aren't Watching She Does Give Her "Mum" A Kiss ;) Don't Tell Her I Told You That!! She May Not Give Me Another One..

Astra - Another Rescued Race Horse!

Murphy - Not A Rescue, But Rather A Very Smart Horse Who I LOVE To Ride.. P.S. Sierra Was Only On Murphy For A Photo.. I Do Not Let ANYONE! (Including Myself) Ride Without A Helmet!

Midnight - An Amazing horse, total heart breaker.. He is just so charming, and so caring, always aware of the safety of his riders, he is now used as a lesson horse in our program and does FAB! P.S. He was still wet in the photo!

Donnie - Rescued Mini Colt Who Was.. Difficult.. To Say The Least :) He is perfect now though.. Even as a little stud, he is handled by children no problem!

Sugar - Not a official rescue.. But not in a good place either.. but she is perfect.. She is the ultimate "bombproof" horse, and does fantastically with children!

Ruby - Rescue Mini - Afraid I do not have old Ruby's photo yet! Shame on me.. but beautiful little mini who was impossible to catch, reared, underweight, the works.. Still can be difficult to catch, but participated with our therapy troop at a nursing home event, and did fantastically!

Luna - Rescued Also, has been used in our therapy "troop", and has been walked all the way through a rest home, and been no problem!

Lightning - Again don't have photos, but he is the full sister of Luna, cute little fella, with a FANTASTIC temperament!

Elwood - Jakes Twin

Jake - Would you believe it.. Elwoods Twin!

Dogs:

Withnail - Dropped off as a pup, thought she was going to die that night.. she just wouldn't wake up.. Pedialite saved her! She is now a slightly over weight four year old love bug who suffers with genetically bad hips and knees.. Still loves to run the geese off though!

Sampson - Drop Off - Was scared of humans, couldn't get him to come near me, then one day I saw him get clipped by a car, went down to see if he was alright he was fine just stunned.. Followed me home that day.. Was given instructions that we had too many dogs, but after him lying by the tree for almost a month guarding the house.. well he sought of one the argument. He obviously is still in the family.. and unfortunately a few months ago our neighbor shot him with no rhyme or reason.. IGNORENT C.. I think you get the picture.. Anyway he is mended up for the most part!

Nina - Nina was dropped off on a saturday a year or so ago, skinnier then a greyhound, booked her in for an appointment to be spayed for the monday.. Had NINE! puppies on the Monday morning at 7am.. Not small puppy's either, they were German Shepards!! Found homes for all the puppies, and currently looking for a home for this lovely! She is spayed, and utd on shots. Lives inside and outside, litter trained, leash trained, sit.. etc.. LOVELY DOG! Pm me if you could give this lovely a home!

Penny - Rescued form a creek after a big storm - I know she sort of looks ugly in this photo.. But she just isn't very photogenic!

Cats:

Clovis - Rescued at a day old at the local fairgrounds - suffered an aneurysm as a kitten, took three years for him to grow big enough to operate and remove his eye that blew out as a result of the aneurysm. He smelt of rotting flesh for three hole years, and could barely eat from the pain, but together we worked it out!

Dave - Kitten of Dropped off cat that arrived too late to be fixed

Morse/Lewis - Drop Offs! So we lost one of Morse/Lewis.. but without having them side by side (twins!), we are never sure which one we lost... I believe that we still have Lewis.. but as I do not want to offend Morse/Lewis, I just call him Morse/Lewis!

And Of Course Sheldon, the one and only spoilt red fox!

Offline rosesare

• Trade Count: (+298)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2012, 03:19:40 PM »
What a fun topic.  Everyone's rescue pets are so adorable.  I think they really do know when you rescue them and appreciate you all that much more. 

After a year and a half of working at an animal shelter I finally caved and adopted this boy my Irish Wolfhound/St. Bernard mix.  He was found as a stray in Montreal at six months old and ended up in a kill pound where he ended up sick with pnemonia.  They were a very good pound though and treat dogs where they can and try to transfer them when their time is up so this guy ended up coming to my shelter when he was almost better.  He was 70 lbs then.  Now he's just under 115 lbs and turned two this month.  Giants are great dogs and he'll go with me for a two walk if I want to but he's happy with 30 minutes or just lounging around the house when I don't have time. 

Did I mention he loves kitties?  Here's him with a couple foster kittens I had.  Sadly my kitty has to be put down in November and I don't think it's fair to get another cat at the moment b/c my bf's dog is extremely cat agressive and prey driven.  So until I work on him no kitties for me but I'd really like to adopt siblings from a shelter when I'm ready.

And inspired by Gryphon I've started a business creating pop art of peoples pets. Here's one I did of Gryphon wearing his bumble bee costume last month. 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 03:24:10 PM by rosesare »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
LOL Don’t you love big dogs who think they’re lap dogs?  XD  My mom knew a Great Dane like that. O_o

Yikes, I dind’t know greyhounds were so big!  O_O

Aellos…I think most cats are ballsy.  :lmao:  She’s a cutie!

Bugle…Diplodocus…  :lmao:  I LOVE that.  Your horses are beauties!  I love that red one!  Aw, Astra is fuzzy!  Donnie is adorable!  You have a bomb proof horse?  :lmao:  Don’t tell Alatariel that.  Shell send all the bombs she drops in the shoutbox to you. XD  You have laods of gorgeous animals!

Rosesare…AWWW

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »
I have to voice my opinion on this... being able to adopt a dog, no questions asked for $25 ( as I have done this ) from an Animal Control shelter is a mash up of uncertainty. You sign paper work stating you will alter and get the rabies shot for the animal within 30 days of taking the animal home. You risk being taken to court ( fined up to $200 and face jail time ) for not providing proof of these two requirements within the allotted time.

Spaying a female is a bit pricier than neutering a male. The spay operation would have easily been over $75 with the vet office fee ( which is silly, I know vets who don't charge if you get shots on your visit ). Rabies is on average $30-$45, depending on where you go.

The "shelter" I adopted from vaccinates dogs with a "booster" shot once the dog is accepted into the pens open to the public. This is to help provide some protection for animals who might have never been vaccinated their entire lives. No other health issues are addressed, for example, heartworm testing or rabies vaccination. If a dog comes in injured or sick, they are out of luck unless a rescue comes in to intervene.

Animal Control is not NO Kill. They get full and they start cleaning house.  :cry: Animals deemed unadoptable or are too sick or injured are put down. A.C. do not have the funds to try and save these animals. Instead they depend on rescue organizations ( mostly funded by donations ) to come in, evaluate the animals and try to save them.

My $25 2011 rescue turned out being $700-ish in less than two months. Emergency C-section and spay, meds, heartworm testing... these are not cheap. When her six pups were born, I spent probably $300 on wee pads, towels, blankets and food to feed a litter of growing pups until they were found homes at eight weeks.

Screening homes for the pups, trying to explain that I have no idea who father(s) were or how much they will weight at maturity... this is all draining mentally and physically. I ended up turning down a few people because I did not believe they were serious pet owners or were in a situation that was good for the pup. One lady was getting serious surgery done right before the pups were eight weeks. I didn't believe it was a good thing to get a pup that needs training and a lot of work for someone just recovering from serious medical problems.

I only charged $100 per pup to help ensure adopters were serious about having a pup. I also checked homes a month later, offering a refund and to take the pup back if it didn't work out. My pup Beaker, is the perfect example of a home falling through. Her adopter had an older senior dog and having a rambunctious pup around stressed out the older dog. So Beaker ended up coming back to us. We didn't bother trying to rehome her again after that. It's not right ( in my mind ) to shuffle a young pup around.

Had I adopted a dog from a reputable rescue and paid the $100-$300 adoption fee, I would have adopted a dog that had been cleared of all medical issues and up to date on vaccines and Heartworm preventatives.

Rescues put a lot of work into their animals. They know the temperament and issues each animal has and try to find a good fit for their charges. Had my pound pup been a biter, not tolerated children or had other unknown issues, I would have had a problem keeping her in my home. Luckily, Billie is an awesome chill dog and the only issue she has is she is a chow hound and will get into the trash if given the chance.

I am hell bent on having a Boston Terrier again  :lol: My first dog was a Boston and I had to rehome her during my divorce. I couldn't afford to take care of her anymore and I was working two jobs to get myself back on my feet. She spent all of her time in a crate and it's no life for a dog.

I plan on trying to find a Boston from the few rescue groups around Georgia and Alabama. I'm wanting an older lady this time around. As long as she gets along with my other two rescues, then that is worth the $100-$300 adoption fee.  ^.^

Avvie By Watercolors

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2012, 05:50:23 AM »
Greyhounds are uber cute. If/when I ever get another dog, I need a greyhound. :P
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal