collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why My Little Pony?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
Why My Little Pony?
« on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:36 PM »
Out of all the toys that ever has existed I sometimes can't help but wonder: How come My Little Pony became so increadibly popular? To the point where there are thousands of fans and collectors, there are collector editions beeing released, there are beeing held conventions and fairs... and the list goes on.

So what is it with My Little Pony that has made them so increadibly big? I mean, we all know why we love them obviously :) But sometimes I'm still just baffled about the popularity of them and the amount of people collecting them when there's so many other toys out there.

Anyone has any thoughts or ideas about why? :P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:57:38 AM by hathorcat »
~*Erica*~
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Why My Little Pony?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
Oh! I was thinking about this just the other day...how funny!

For me its simple...ponies were THE toy for me when I was a little girl - they were the toy I treasured and played with the most - they accompanied me every where and they were "special" gifts and adored toys. So when it came to a hobby and a wish to reconnect with memories, ponies were obvious for me :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:31 PM »
It seems to me like they were marketed very well too. Not only were more and more creative things being tested with the toys themselves, but they had huge lines of merchandise too. Clothes, cereal, books, school supplies, a cartoon, etc. That definitely helps in terms of advertisement.

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with the associated cartoon.  If a kid likes a cartoon, they are more likely to crazy for a toy of that cartoon :)  Also, lots of little girls seem to stereotypically like horses, so that doesn't hurt either!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:26 PM »
What little girl or boy never dreamed of having a pony or horse? :D I know I loved anything horse/pony/unicorn/pegasus related when I was little. MLP was my most beloved toy and always will be :)
My Wish List

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
yes the marketing this would be a big reason why G1 and G4 are popular and G2 kinda fell by the wayside....

But I think it's also the cartoony openness ( if that makes sense) of the toys them selves. Sure Hasbro made barns and houses for them but you ponies were so simple in what they were that they could be or do anything! and thus the imagniantion ran wild

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:15 PM »
They were cheap toys a kid could afford on an allowance

Shimmer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:08:24 PM »
Arent most toylines that got a cartoon after the ban on commercials aimed at kids was lifted still popular? (don't quote me on this, I know that toy based cartoons flourished in the 80's and beyond)
More notably though Hasbro was very good at marketing from every angle, Transformers is also proof of this.

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
They were cheap toys a kid could afford on an allowance

well yhea that too I think in the 80 ponies were what $4 each of the basic ones?

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
well i loved horses alays did. it was  always horse this or pony that.. so my little pony was the obvious thing. instead of barbie clothes it was  horse clothes.   but yah i  think it was also.. fairly simple and let  the child  use its imgination. the toys aare  really very simple.. they  don't  really DO anyhting.. compared to todays toys.. that  everythign seems to have a  on switch and do things..  they reguried imgination to play with. 

they wer also quite cheap.  and hey were made well. 

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
Well I was mainly wondering how come they are so popular today :) How My Little Pony ended up having thousands of collectors and fans in this day and age. That's what I have a hard time wrapping my mind around XD
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 02:23:01 PM »
I like the toys because I enjoy the show - it's very well-written, and the characters are lovable and identifiable.  I can see myself in Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, and the others.  The toys are cute and affordable.

I really don't understand the massive popularity, though.  Especially the guys who like it.  My husband loves the show because it's well-written, and has neat references for adults to pick up on (Star Trek, Star Wars, The Big Lebowski, etc).  But I originally started watching it because I loved the original MLP when I was a kid. 

I don't really understand the brony movement, to be honest.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »
i dont get it either.. lol the only thing i can think is that..  maybe  some f them grew up in pony households and it was passed down to them.. i  dont understand the brony thing either..  but i think i saw soemone   say this in another thread.  i think i read it somewhere.

the reason that mlp  fim is  so popular is that there is a pony in thre that everyone  can relate to.   and  also i noticed that on  the episode i've watched (mostly bridle gossip with zecora)  that it  teaches  morals adn lessons as well. 

but.. otherwise i have no clue.. o.o  mob mentaily?

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Well I was mainly wondering how come they are so popular today :) How My Little Pony ended up having thousands of collectors and fans in this day and age. That's what I have a hard time wrapping my mind around XD

I understand what you are asking. There are so many of us *adults* that are still collecting and still loving MLP. I am 26, and only had 2 G1's growing up. I wouldn't have come back if not for the G4 line. I saw a shirt or something in Hot Topic and started researching the new ponies. G4 is what got me. But why, through all the generations has Hasbro been able to keep this line alive? I think its the bright colors and diversity of the brand. You can get white ponies, pink ponies, purple ponies, blue ponies, etc. There are ponies, unicorns, pegasuseseses [haha]. There is a pony that speaks to every person, and ponies that we don't like as much. I guess its the same kind of question as "Why has Barbie survived so long?"

Vulpy

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 02:59:27 PM »
Because Ponies are awesome. XD

I like them because they help with my depression. They're so colourful and friendly, and their world is so innocent. There's no guns or violence. It's a really nice thing to get into. ^^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal