collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: It's a rubbish day for my pony collection :(  (Read 1720 times)

gypsyunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: It's a rubbish day for my pony collection :(
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
sorry to hear that happened and on Icey too...I hope it can be fixed like mentioned,if you try it post before and after pictures if you can please,we would love to see that tip in action

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
:hug:  I'm so sorry to hear that!

Hope you can fix them.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Princess-Sparkles

• Princess pony from Aus
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Mimic expert. ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
Oh that's really upsetting. :hug: I know how you feel. My Greek starshine who was pretty much mont of the card has a green mark on her now. :( so I know how upsetting it can. :hug:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Thank you SDS for my Princess Sparke avatar and thank you Shenanigans for my signature. ^_^
~My want list

Wanted: Baby Cotton Candy and Bowties with bad hair and hair cuts. :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
I am so sorry. I was able to cover the spots on my Braided Beauty with water based paint to make her look better. Its not easy to color match every pony out there though. Some just give me fits. :huh:

I guess this is one of the biggest reasons I can't justify spending more than 30.00 on any pony no matter how rare. I just figure they are all going to reach this fate eventually and who knows how long they will stay beautiful. I can't wrap my heart and mind around the fact they will one day just look awful with time.  So if I avoid spending Nirvana prices at least I can say I didn't invest a lot on any one, but loved what I had and enjoyed collecting them.  Spots are just something we face with any vinyl toy over time.  Its something you learn to expect you just never know when it will happen and what conditions seem to cause it more than others. I keep my ponies in a locked cabinet away from any sunlight but they do have air as its a wood cabinet with plenty of venting.  I am hoping this will preserve them for a bit longer as light it a huge enemy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:15:49 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
I am so sorry about your ponies. :(  Life really throws some of the worst luck at us sometimes!

But I have had something similar happen. I got my Mimic several years ago. Over time, she has developed pin dot mold. I am not sure if it will overtake her whole body, but it's definitely there on some parts of her. I am going to enjoy her still, but I hate that this is happening to her.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
Uhg!  It always breaks my heart when that happens, but those two in particular?!  That really sucks!  I'm so sorry!

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:43 AM »
Update:

Thank you for that info Hathorcat, I'd not heard of that method before. However.... it did nothing in these cases. I pricked a small hole in one of the spots on Icey's back and one on Mimic and put some acetone nail varnish remover onto the spot using a cotton bud. I then left it for a few hours to no avail...

Feeling pretty down about it, to be honest I don't even want these two ponies in my collection any more. It just hurts to know the amount I spent on them and how minty looking they were when I got them.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 07:29:07 AM »

First cancer is not "infectious" - its not going to spread across your herd. It is simply a break down in the plastic probably due to plasticisers and bromides. Its horrible but its pretty incurable. The colour is a result of the chemicals "breaking out and staining/damaging" the surrounding plastic. Its a yucky comparison but think of a nice apple, then the cells inside break down and the apple rots. 

However, I have seen some have success with reversal of the staining - it wont stop the breakdown completely and as the plastic breakdown has started in some of the plastic it will come back probably in other parts of the plastic. You "prick" a small hole in the plastic in the middle of the stain - drop acetone into the tiny hole...the acetone reacts with the bromide and changes the colour. Now the science bit and remember this is on a tiny tiny level - bromine has a brown colour [hence the staining] it reacts with the acetone and the Br-Br bond is broken thereby removing the brown colour and rendering the remaining product clear.

SCIENCE! I never heard of that, have many people tried that method? Does it work better than the oxy baths people give?
~Foxtale~

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 07:40:52 AM »
I'm sorry this happened to your most valuable ponies! I would be completely gutted too :cry: :hug: a similar thing happened to my beautiful white Chief, 3 or 4 marks just appeared over night, I ended up selling him because I just couldn't keep him like that :(

I think it might be a common thing to happen to Icey as mine has a cancer mark too. I think hathorcats tip is great, maybe try that!? Best of luck sweetie :hug:

ETA sorry I missed the bit where you said you tried it already. If you really can't have them in your collection, why not sell them here and then you'll have the cash to buy some minter ones? I can't imagine the cancer would affect their price too much as they are both very very sought after. I would love to buy mimic even with those flaws :)

First....:hug: sweetie - there is nothing worse than discovering such issues and on 2 such ponies...I am so sorry -  sending you hugs.

First cancer is not "infectious" - its not going to spread across your herd. It is simply a break down in the plastic probably due to plasticisers and bromides. Its horrible but its pretty incurable. The colour is a result of the chemicals "breaking out and staining/damaging" the surrounding plastic. Its a yucky comparison but think of a nice apple, then the cells inside break down and the apple rots. 

However, I have seen some have success with reversal of the staining - it wont stop the breakdown completely and as the plastic breakdown has started in some of the plastic it will come back probably in other parts of the plastic. You "prick" a small hole in the plastic in the middle of the stain - drop acetone into the tiny hole...the acetone reacts with the bromide and changes the colour. Now the science bit and remember this is on a tiny tiny level - bromine has a brown colour [hence the staining] it reacts with the acetone and the Br-Br bond is broken thereby removing the brown colour and rendering the remaining product clear.

This is the best advice I've ever heard on the subject! Thankyou! Perhaps I can try this on my Ice crystal too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:43:23 AM by partypony566 »
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 07:53:19 AM »
I feel everyone's pain on this subject. Im so sorry this happened to your ponies. recently I had the same thing happen to my Lemon treats. I did pay alot for her. I feel bummed too about it. I think I may try using oxy-10 cream on her since shes a yellow pony. I also had cancer strike my baby lemon drop alt -pose. Though the odd thing about the cancer mark it just like disappeared weeks later it was strange I really wish I would of took pictures of that. :/

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:59 AM »
Sorry to hear that things like this have happened to others to. I definitely don't think I can hold on to Ice Crystal in the condition he's in... but for Mimic I'm slightly debating buying some green plastic dye (like Rit?) and seeing if I can just cover up those marks...

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Thanks for the kindness everyone!

Offline partypony566

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »
I've never tried the dye but I imagine it could work, but the thing with that is you could get uneven patches and then it might look worse. Maybe ask in customs to see if anyone has done that before? :)

This is my icey, looks like the mark is in the same place as yours  :blink:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:02:44 PM by hathorcat »

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
I've never tried the dye but I imagine it could work, but the thing with that is you could get uneven patches and then it might look worse. Maybe ask in customs to see if anyone has done that before? :)

This is my icey, looks like the mark is in the same place as yours  :blink:

So it is! Poor lads seem to be prone to spotty bums :(

Did you treat that in any way to stop it spreading?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:55:35 PM by hathorcat »

Offline partypony566

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »
I only got him yesterday but I'm going to try the thing that hathorcat suggested :)

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
I decided to spend today going through my collection, sorting and cataloguing. While doing so, I made two horrible discoveries. Just two of my collection of around 1000 had gained cancer spots since I last looked at them... my Ice Crystal and my Mimic, both of whom were pretty minty last time I looked. I am so so upset, I can't believe that it would be those two out of every single pony! I don't understand it either... they were both in separate boxes, stored in the exact same way as all my other ponies in little paper bags and they were the only victims...?

Well I've been completely put off looking at my ponies for now. I bought those two at a time when I had some spare income, there's no way I'm going to be able to afford replacements for a good while now and I would be scared to do so in case the same thing happened again.

Sometimes pony collecting can be a very cruel sport...

Hey there, the same happened to my ponies. They have been under my bed and I haven't seen them in years. I'm luckier I guess since the ponies are mostly common ones. I am beginning to find pony collecting a bit of a cruel sport too, yet it breaks me to give them up completely, so OMG THE DILEMMA.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal