collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Job Application Help  (Read 568 times)

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
Job Application Help
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »
So, I'm applying for a job and I've hit something that's always a bit sticky for me.
'Employment History'
Because well... I don't have one.
I've been a student from 2008 to quite recently and I didn't work whilst I was at college as I didn't 'need' to at the time.  It's different on a paper job application as I can easily just write in 'full time student from here to here' on the sheet but with online apps they want a lot of nitty gritty details that I can't fill in. Like 'reason for leaving' on this current app it has a drop down list rather than a reason box and I honestly have no idea what would fit in this case. :/
The only other thing I have that's close to employment is the work placement I did once in school and once in college at a cattery but I'm not sure if that counts as it was only for two weeks each time I did it.
What do I do? I've been told not to leave it blank as that apparently looks bad but then at the same time I can't really fill it in. It's driving me nuts.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:05:46 PM by starrypawz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Job Application Help
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
Hmmm... I have no earthly idea.  Possibly fill in that you were a full-time student during this time and explain in further detail that you didn't work during that time in order to focus on your studies and take them seriously.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Echo_Shell

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • De Omnibus Dubitandem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »
Similar problems here since my employment history basically consists of a 3 year assistantship at the university archives.  I really hate those electronic applications....

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
Similar problems here since my employment history basically consists of a 3 year assistantship at the university archives.  I really hate those electronic applications....
I'm with you there, they really make applying for jobs more complicated than they need to be. X.x They asked me to upload my CV then it turns out they've extrapolated various bits of 'data' from it onto the form and so I think I took my college stuff to be a 'real' job.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:37:21 PM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »
Yeah these online applications are just......ineffective really.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:42 PM »
The only other thing I have that's close to employment is the work placement I did once in school and once in college at a cattery but I'm not sure if that counts as it was only for two weeks each time I did it.
Well, just list down all the part time jobs you've taken in the past, even those little "unofficial" services like helping out at a relative or friends' business. Those still counts as a job.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:21:22 AM »
Well, just list down all the part time jobs you've taken in the past, even those little "unofficial" services like helping out at a relative or friends' business. Those still counts as a job.
Thanks for the tip.
I just got rid of the autocomplete record it had placed in and found there is in fact an option for 'no work history to add'... but I have a bad feeling if I click that it might make me look bad. Agh D:

Offline mercynova

• NSS Buttons
  • Trade Count: (+91)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
On those applications I always find it's best to.... bend the truth a little :D

Your goal is to get to a real life human being who you can impress in an interview, so if you've only had work experience in cattery or whatever.... well then put that as your previous employment. As for the reason why you left... something like 'returning to education'... that's not exactly a lie.

Good luck job hunting :D

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:53 AM »
List down any volunteer work you have instead.  Hun, they value this just as much--if not even more--then your past work history because it shows what kind of person you can be.

The others are right though, anything unofficuial like helping out with a family or friends buisness counts, too :)  Goodluck^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline starrypawz

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »
List down any volunteer work you have instead.  Hun, they value this just as much--if not even more--then your past work history because it shows what kind of person you can be.

The others are right though, anything unofficuial like helping out with a family or friends buisness counts, too :)  Goodluck^^
I would but I honestly have none to add. :/ I'm in the process of sorting some out though so that means I need to go back and edit the job application to change my hours of availablity D:

It's just so fustrating, it's simple enough in the sense of 'I've been studying for the past four years and haven't been employed in this time' but the way the job applications are set up don't seem to allow for that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal