collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lyra, Trixie and :muffin: Pony sculptures  (Read 425 times)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Lyra, Trixie and :muffin: Pony sculptures
« on: August 09, 2012, 09:35:10 AM »
So I've recently gotten into sculpting with polymer clay, and these are my first completed custom pony sculptures. I have no experience with painting and after this, I have a whole new respect for all of you custom artists who make it look so easy, especially anyone who does blind bag customs. I'm almost tempted to just do baby and fillies from now on just to avoid having to paint cutie marks again. So anyway, these are all done now, I just need to seal them, but the spray sealer I have says it needs to be a certain temp and not humid, so it could be awhile.

So the first one I did was :muffin: Pony. She's just under 4" long and about 2" tall. She's not by any means perfect and her cutie mark, while I thought would be easy, it ended up being harder than I thought to do tiny circles with a paint brush, even a tiny one. I also had to custom mix her grey color by combining a medium grey, light blue and white together. It came out slightly darker than I was hoping, but you can tell it's her, so I guess that makes it somewhat of a success. I wasn't going to share pics of her, but since she was the first one I did, I'll have her as proof of how much better I've gotten, assuming I keep at it and do get better.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My second attempt was Trixie. She's the smallest at 3" long and just under 2" tall. I think her sculpt came out pretty well overall, there's some issues, but mostly I think it's just me being too hard on myself. I'm a bit of a perfectionist with anything art related I do, so these are no exception. Her paint job is a little rough, but I think the colors came out beautifully. I ended up custom mixing all of her colors since I didn't have the exact right shades to do her. Her cutie mark was also quite difficult to do with a brush, well for me at least.

My final attempt, I think turned out the best. Lyra is just a tad over 3" long and 2" tall. Like with Trixie, I had to custom mix her hair and body color. I just like her overall the best of the three I've done so far. Between her sculpt and painting (after doing the other two, I did get a bit better at sculpting as well as painting) I just think she turned out adorable.

I think she looks adorable from this angle:

So my next one will likely be Octavia. And then maybe Fluttershy. I'm too scared to attempt Rarity or Pinkie Pie because of their hair. But maybe I will if I get better eventually. I'd love to be able to sell or trade them eventually if I get better, so I'll probably keep practicing. Oh, and if anyone has any advice on how to do tiny details a bit better, let me know.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Lyra, Trixie and :muffin: Pony sculptures
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
How cute!  I love the sweet little sculpts!

Offline moonfire

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 10:09:21 AM »
I love them! Lyra is my favourite!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »
Very cute!!! You did well!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Ren-Ren

• Trade Count: (+237)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://renren-1.livejournal.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
These are SO cute!! <3
Thanks to Calico Star for my siggy! <3 (deleted cause photobucket)
*** My Sales Page*** My Little Pink Pony Loves MMA***

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
they all turned out cute ^_^ sleeping ponies are adorable!

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:47:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. If anyone's interested in either :muffin: Pony or Trixie, I'd be willing to put them up for trade. For now, I'm keeping Lyra to myself, but I may end up making another one in the future since she came out so nicely.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal