collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Poor Chief - What should I do?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Poor Chief - What should I do?
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »
I got out Chief again yesterday to put on display and looking him over... i think he's getting worse.  :cloud:

I think there's another brown spot, and the other marks just seem more prominent (... or maybe I'm just getting used to newish G3s and G4s that are so much more pristine?)  He's been standing upright in the bottom of a rubbermaid bin on the top of my wardrobe, not in a bag or anything, just below the other ponies.  I live in Utah and it very arid here.  Warm, in the house, maybe 80s, but not very hot because it's in the basement.

So, I need advice on what to do... if anything.  Should I post a video "tour"  :yikes: of his problems or just take photos and post here to get input from yall?  Which would be better?  or is this something I should consult an expert in-person with?

I also wonder, is there some sort of "sealant" you could spray a pony with? to prevent further deterioration?

Thanks a ton in advance.
 :accomplished:

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Chief - What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »
I'd like to see pics, please. I have a Chief too with some spots. I was able to fade some spots with Tilex. I'm just mad I didn't do before and after pics.

I'm in California with similar environment conditions. I think will have to take pics to document any changes!
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:05:55 AM »
If it's plastic breaking down, there's not a whole lot you can do. I would, however, take pictures to compare to to see if it's actually getting worse or if it's just perception. I don't know how long it takes for problems like that to noticeably change. It's my understanding though, that Chief is unfortunately prone to age spots and such.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »
Take some pics. That always helps for advice. I put silica inside my ponies, helps to absorb moisture.
I'm kind of a broken record with this, but pearlizing ponies can cover some pretty nasty spots and give them a new dimension.  I won't pic spam but if you want to see some pics pm me.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:29:05 AM »
Ok, I'll take some pics today.  (I'm sort of embarrassed on his behalf! which has made me hesitant, but I think it's a sign of pure unrefined over-the-top obsession. XD)

Post Merge: August 04, 2012, 11:12:38 AM

Okay here is a link to a Gallery with his pics. 

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fz0jlvwkqp1zdgj/YOZGz6VlH2

His neck has a brownish spot, but it didn't show up very well.  Also, I haven't EVER cleaned him… I'm afraid!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:12:38 AM by gabumon »

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
You could try soaking him in bleach, or oxyclean, I am not sure it would help or not. You could also try boiling him.
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
Unfortunately the brown marks are a result of "damage" in the plastic - the plastic breaking down and bromide/plasticisers leaking.

Once it starts the integrity of the whole plastic item runs the risk of further break down.

I have heard people swear a boil, as OL1, says works to stop or slow the continual spread, so perhaps thats a good starting point. And then re-evaluate him in 3 months or so.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
Unfortunately the brown marks are a result of "damage" in the plastic - the plastic breaking down and bromide/plasticisers leaking.

Once it starts the integrity of the whole plastic item runs the risk of further break down.

I have heard people swear a boil, as OL1, says works to stop or slow the continual spread, so perhaps thats a good starting point. And then re-evaluate him in 3 months or so.

Is it cancer or something like regrind? Some of the brown spots on my Chief look a little like bulls eyes; dark center spot with a lighter ring around it.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
Is it bad that the first answer that came to mind is " Give him to meeeeee!!" :P  :lookround:  :blush:  :good:  :silly:
:flirty:
 I collect Chief and Ringlets for my couple army in all conditions  (like you didnt already know that LOL   :P   ) and they are both prone to that unfortunately .  Personally I soak ponies like that in Vanish Oxy- action (pink tub) , and I havent had any issues with it spreading or getting worse. In some cases the brown splodges will  fade  with a "vanish" bath too (this is the case with the kind of spots that have a darker spot in the centre  ) . Sunfading can work as well, but it can also worsen the marks if they are due to plastic breakdwon rather than mold so be careful.   I also store ponies that arent on display in clear plastic drawers with silica gel packets :awake:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
(oh yes, I know that Ringlets! *hides Chiefy* :P )

Does Vanish-Oxy harm the hair or cutie marks? 

and what do you all think of that scrape-like thing on his bum?  It doesn't really have texture... i thought at first it was nail polish someone tried to cover up with?  but i'm not so sure.  maybe just a scrape?

For sure I'm going to give him a cleaning this weekend (dish soap and water).  As i mentioned before I haven't yet had the courage to do Anything to him yet.   I'll let yall know if it changes his condition.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:52 AM »
@gabumon - is the mark on his bum feel a different texture [ridged]? If so I imagine it could just be an actual scrape in the plastic where poor Chief has caught against something tougher than even him. If it is the colour issue could just be ingrained dirt or unfortunately it could be staining from whatever he was damaged against - if its dirt then perhaps a boil or oxy will help - if its a stain then try sunfading him. But be careful as I have seen some Chiefs tan badly in the sun.

Personally I have found most stains which are removable are doable with soap, scrubbing and determination - the nature of oxy worries me. However, that is a personal opinion and I have seen plenty of people have success with it and oddly it does not seem to have an affect on eyes, blush and symbols - but I would suggest if you havent use it on a pony before test it out on a bait to make sure you are happy using it. :)

@teresat - regrind and cancer are a similar idea but different things if that makes sense? Both are fundamentally caused by a break down in plastic - for regrind that's due to actual plastic regrind agitating and separating out, for age marks/cancer its due to flame retardant materials like bromide and the plasticisers which have been mixed in the plastic for safety and pliancy reasons breaking out and also discolouring. 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 09:55:56 AM »
@hathorcat - Thanks for the additional info. Very helpful. Reminds me of picture, document, and book preservation techniques. But that's paper. ^.^ Need to know some more of the specific components of particular ponies and the neutralizing counterparts. Some ponies are more prone to breakdown than others. nhal03 had a nice list. All this fun with physics and chemistry!

I was wondering what kind of an environment causes these breakdowns to accelerate. Moisture causes some types (mold) and dry may cause others. I too am hesitant with full boiling, bleach, and oxy bath techniques on some ponies. *eyes baity box* >_>

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:04 AM »
We don't talk about remove-zit very much. Doesn't it take marks off of ponies?
I ask because I have a tuneful that has white allover her underside which I think is a result of remove-zit to get rid some type of discoloration. So in theory wouldn't it lighten or whiten discolorations like cancer?

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
I was considering this or benzoyl peroxide cream since Chief is white. I have a Ringlets which looks like someone used one of the two to remove stains and it really didn't work. There was a white ring around the stain. I'll get pics. Again, I need a baity pony for this experiment.

edit found the pic

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:08:10 PM by teresat »

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 06:25:15 PM »
I hate to see what is happening to Chief, Gabumon.... I don't see a lot of stallion-crazy people in the arena (I'm stallion Crazy XD). Best wishes to you and Chief!
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal