collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kids and Ponies  (Read 1799 times)

Offline ramallama

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Kids and Ponies
« on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Hey all, I wanted to share a story. I have a bunch of ponies for sale on ebay right now. Someone emailed me asking how much combined shipping, with the addition of "My 2 year old would love these!" ACK! Most are G3, some are G1. What would you say?? Would you say anything? All of them have been cleaned, curled or flat ironed, and some restored.

:(

Breaks my heart, hehe!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shrojjy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Kids and Ponies
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
Well, as long as someone is going to love my ponies, then I wouldn't care all too much/

Offline Watercolors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:28:16 PM »
Oh goodness, thats a toughy. The idea of a drooling, roly-poly toddler gnawing on a G1... ouch, I hate the thought! I have no idea what you should say. Maybe you could hint that these are collectibles and are for display only? Really, a two year old shouldn't be playing with ponies anyway.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
Well they are for 3 year olds and up. Always has been, always will be.

I know where you're comming from though. I'd hate the idea too that a G1 which so many of us spend alot of time trying to fix up from just those things are gonna go right back to a rough condition again.

However, they ARE childrens toys. To a collector like us the idea is kinda bad, but in the general publics eye they're still ment for kids to be played with.

But yeh, I'mwith foreveryoung, try to hint that this is a collectible item these days plus the fact that they are for 3 year olds and up and you don't wanna feel responisble if anything should happen since the kid is only 2? Just a thought :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
I wouldn't like selling ponies to young children, or children at all for that matter. I've noticed that some ads have it in their description that the ponies are intended for collectors, not as kid's toys. If it was me I would try telling them I wasn't comfortable selling the ponies as toys for children but that might be against ebay rules? To change your mind about the terms of selling? I don't know. I totally understand how you feel though. Oh, that's right, aren't the ponies from age 3 and up? There's your excuse. (Even though I suspect that recommendation is because of the smaller accessories.)

A bit off topic but I have this new Gizmo doll (Gremlins) that can sing and "dance". Here's what it says in the description that came with it: "This is not a toy. For decorative purpose only. Caution: For adult use only. Keep out of reach of children." Quite funny.

Edit: Desert Rose beat me to it with the age 3 and up rule.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 01:50:16 PM »
Edit: Desert Rose beat me to it with the age 3 and up rule.

Heh, I'm a fast typer ;)
And yes, it's probably because of the accessories that they have that printed on the boxes, but it's still something you could use. It wouldn't be a lie, it's Hasbros own recomendation :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 01:56:19 PM »
yeah I would make sure your posting description says that these are "for display only".  also I see some people put that a "have not been tested for chemicals that may affect children" message in their listing. 

tough call though.

Offline Watercolors

• Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
Well, not only are ponies for 3 and up, but what would a 2 year old do with a vintage, 20 year old toy anyway? Isn't it possible that they could have lead or something else harmful? I'm quite positive they will just put the pony in their mouth. Really, two year olds need rattles or blocks, not ponies...

corra

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
Older ponies, especially, are not appropriate for that age group for health reasons. Despite how you feel about it as a collector. There are chemicals in the plastic and are not really safe (any gen) to be chewed on. Pony packaging has also always said age 3+. And with G1 you can have all kinds of mold/ fungus/ plastic deterioration etc. If it was me I would just remind this buyer that these are a collectors item that can be up to 30 years old. and that they are no longer meant to be played with in that way. Link her some studies about plastic toys/vintage toys or even just the hasbro age recommendation for MLP which is always displayed on packaging.

Offline ramallama

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
I think I'll just add in the description that they are intended to display and not say anything. I don't want to turn anyone off!

It's funny, because I know, deep down, that they ARE toys meant for kids, but I just can't wrap my head around them doing anything except looking pretty on a shelf!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
Older ponies, especially, are not appropriate for that age group for health reasons. Despite how you feel about it as a collector. There are chemicals in the plastic and are not really safe (any gen) to be chewed on. Pony packaging has also always said age 3+. And with G1 you can have all kinds of mold/ fungus/ plastic deterioration etc. If it was me I would just remind this buyer that these are a collectors item that can be up to 30 years old. and that they are no longer meant to be played with in that way. Link her some studies about plastic toys/vintage toys or even just the hasbro age recommendation for MLP which is always displayed on packaging.

Definitely this. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 03:35:37 PM »
You can certainly give her your opinion on the fact you consider the toys to be collectors items rather than toys :) but I think you have to remember you are selling the item - what your buyer does with the pony after they have paid you to purchase it is not something we should condemn or criticise, in my opinion. Also what category did you list the item in on ebay? If listed as "toy" then I think a seller is within their rights to consider that thats what it is - many people are probably completely unaware that people collect MLP.

Yes I "collect" MLP toys and I wouldnt want any one [child or adult] to randomly play with ponies in my collection but at the same time if I was selling and someone wished to pay more than anyone else in order to give their child enjoyment out of that toy, I would understand.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 03:41:47 PM »
Yeah I would be concerned because of the plastic is toxic to kids that chew on them. PVC is toxic, and the plastic from older ponies may start to break down and leak chemicals that would make it even more hazardous. If you have sticky plastic ponies, keep them far away from little ones!

Phekzhen

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 03:42:48 PM »
How much are you charging per pony? If you're pretty cheap, than the buyer might think that these are no different than dollar-store fakies. You know someone wouldn't buy a $100 pony for a 2 year old to play with.

If you only want your products to go to collectors, say that they're for collectors. You can also tell the seller what ponies are cleaned with (oxiclean, hydrogen peroxide, bleach), and why buying ponies from collectors on eBay isn't a good idea, since you never know what chemicals can still be on them. Pointing out that degrading plastic and old ponies have icky chemicals, rust and mold should also turn them away.

Pointing out that they're not good for the child's age is another good point. Though I would check eBay's terms to see if you could deny the sale or not.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
You know, and I say this not knowing what others have said, its really not safe for the G1's to go to kids because we don't know if they have lead or whatever else that wasn't tested in the same way back then as it is now.  I would redirect them and always put in your listings these are sold as collectibles only as they have not been tested for lead or whatever else and are best not used as toys.  Ponies are not for 2 and younger. They can get those magnets out and choke on them, they can get the tails loose and choke on them and believe you me...any two year old is capable of possibly removing a head and eating the rattling washer inside...seriously...yikes.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:53:17 PM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal