collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Malibu Stacy Hat Syndrome  (Read 3748 times)

Phekzhen

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Malibu Stacy Hat Syndrome
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »
I saw an excellent explanation somewhere, I think a comment on one of my posts, saying that in the Transformers fandom this happens, too. Kids don't always have the money (or the parents) to get all the toys in, say, wave 1 or the first toy line. But if little Sally wants to get Megatron and Bumblebee and Jazz and whoever else, if they keep re-releasing them, she'll still have the chance to get one of each "main" character.

So for people like us where money (or getting our parents' permission) isn't an issue, it can seem annoying that we keep seeing the same characters constantly coming out, but a kid somewhere is going to be happy that she'll still be able to get a playful pony Rarity after a year of waiting.

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
Guilty as charged here. Though in my defense, it's because there's all those variants :P

far-side flank cutie mark, Walking pose. Walking pose with cutie mark on far-side flank. Hair color variations. Tinsel! Glitter!

One reason the app I'm writing has became so complicated with all those fields. It's because these things happen :P

And yes, I have seen that episode. It's been a long time. Come to think of it, too long.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 10:56:23 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Online Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »
Guilty as charged here. Though in my defense, it's because there's all those variants :P

far-side flank cutie mark, Walking pose. Walking pose with cutie mark on far-side flank. Hair color variations. Tinsel! Glitter!

One reason the app I'm writing has became so complicated with all those fields. It's because these things happen :P

I feel the same! Each one is different *enough* to merit a re-buy! And although it's frustrating (HOW MANY RAINBOW DASHES DO I NEED ON ONE SHELF?!) at times, I can see the reasoning behind it. The cartoon is centered around the "Mane Six" - and kids wanna buy the toy of their favorite character! So it makes sense to keep the main characters coming back again and again, to ensure they'll be available.
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Juri

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • The Revolutionary Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 11:26:03 PM »
I always get tempted by things like that, but I try my best not to buy duplicates unless i have a nice new home for them!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
Bought Riding Along Rainbow Dash for Tank the Turtle!  Perfect case in point! XD

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 10:46:42 AM »
Lol, I'm kinda starting to feel like that. Not because of the accessories but the variants of the characters themselves. Like I have Fluttershy with darker pink hair, with lighter pink hair, with tinsel... Rainbow Dash with and without bangs... Sweetie Belle with 2 stripes of color in her mane and with 3... etc. I don't make a point to get these variants, they just come in playsets and whatnot and I can't seem to make myself get rid of them once I have them because they are *slightly* different in some way.  :hmm:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 02:09:15 PM »
I saw an excellent explanation somewhere, I think a comment on one of my posts, saying that in the Transformers fandom this happens, too. Kids don't always have the money (or the parents) to get all the toys in, say, wave 1 or the first toy line. But if little Sally wants to get Megatron and Bumblebee and Jazz and whoever else, if they keep re-releasing them, she'll still have the chance to get one of each "main" character.

So for people like us where money (or getting our parents' permission) isn't an issue, it can seem annoying that we keep seeing the same characters constantly coming out, but a kid somewhere is going to be happy that she'll still be able to get a playful pony Rarity after a year of waiting.

I think its more just that there is a need to have the "main characters" always available - so that no matter the stage a child meets the cartoon, those core characters they will be interested in will be on shelves somewhere.

The cartoon sells the toys therefore if they want the "cartoon to sales" to work they need to have the characters available at all times.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 03:08:32 PM »
You can always use duplicates as bait or you can sell them as bait. G4s aren't as nice to customize as G3s though, in my opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »
Admittedly....every now and then I have a case of "Malibu Stacy Hat Syndrome"  LOL.  I try not to, but sometimes the accessories are too cute :P

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 03:30:01 PM »
I can't stand buying more than one type of item in any case.. While I think it is a good idea to have the mane ponies available to those who want them at any time, it drives me nuts that there are so many re-releases. >_< If there were only the same singles always available then we could have some more sets with new ponies..

Offline mshesha

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • G1 convert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »
Guilty! I just wanted the chipmunks darn it  :P

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
I did that somewhat with the Castle Friends set.  Although the "new hat" was Celestia, Spike and the crown...

Offline MoonstoneFluff

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • I <3 Ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
*raises hoof*  Totally guilty of this one.  It drives me nuts too, but I still buy them.  At least I have an office to fill with my duplicate ponies.
Formerly known as HelloKuma

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 04:31:35 PM »
I wanted the Cheerilee picnic set because of her hat. XD Plus the other accessories are nice too!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
I'm getting both Trixie's because one has a glittery symbol and one doesn't XD Also I want Bridle Fluttershy because she has lighter pink hair... even though I have 3 Fluttershys :drunk:
My Wish List

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal