collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does it make you mad when you see...?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Does it make you mad when you see...?
« on: July 25, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
Does it make you mad when you go to a thrift shop and see Ponies for CHEAP. Like 50 cents to a dollar per pony no matter what pony it is (and the money is going to charity!) but then you turn around and look on ebay and most ponies are 6 bucks and up? It just irks me because after all, these are toys. I know some people collect really hard to find ponies. I understand the sellers on there selling those ones. But common ponies? Come on people.. I think I'm going to stay away from ebay all together now.. It just.. makes me sick.

I know I sound cheap but I can't be bothered to pay more then 5 bucks for a pony. And the 5 bucks goes for MIB G4s.. I know this really cuts off being able to collect G1s but it doesn't matter to me. I never imagined toy collecting was going to break me!  :shocked: :blink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Does it make you mad when you see...?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 02:34:14 PM »
That annoys me too!  People can be so greedy sometimes!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
If the thrift stores knew the true value of ponies they would certainly be more expensive.

And here in England, it's much cheaper to buy G1s online than to buy G4 ponies.  :shocked:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »
Whoa.. really? G1's cheaper than G4's?!?! That is like crazy!

Honestly I think that the salvation army, where I thrift doesn't care about values. I've seen collectables, really popular ones for like three dollars there. And three dollars for something there is on the expensive side! lol

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »
Had no luck at my local thrift store, but I'm almost positive it's just because they don't know the value. I'm not complaining, though, cheap ponies! :lol:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
I haven't found my little ponies at ANY thrift shop in years.  :(

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 03:20:09 PM »
I can't get to any thrift stores near me, so I'm stuck buying online :-/

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »
I paid upwards of $3.50 a pony with my latest thrift store haul of 14 G1s. Didn't bother me. They aren't available in stores anymore and the population of surviving G1s that haven't had parents throw them in the garbage yet is dwindling by the day. The thing that bothers me is when a toy dealer sees a rare pony go for $100 so suddenly they mark their Cotton Candys and Peachys for that much too. But $5 isn't too much to ask if a Peachy is in great shape with a matching head.

Offline BabyBlueRibbon

• Trade Count: (+372)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4bu884wztwz4so2/AAD_kw1sL0fybkjpPzWjK7gLa?dl=0
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
Collecting is expensive. Some of us, including myself, have spent serious money (in the thousands of dollars) on our total collection. For me, I have not kept complete track of it. However, I know I would do it all over again, if I had to. I think true diehard collectors would say the same thing.

When you start getting into anything Nirvana, one pony alone can be hundreds of dollars.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:37:26 PM by BabyBlueRibbon »

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
Collecting is expensive. Some of us, including myself, have spent serious money (in the thousands of dollars) on our total collection. For me, I have not kept complete track of it. However, I know I would do it all over again, if I had to. I think true diehard collectors would say the same thing.

When you start getting into anything Nirvana, one pony alone can be hundreds of dollars.

My pony collection is still small, so I'm only in the several hundreds with that one. However, my Pokémon collection has cost me some serious cash, up there in the thousands. Plus whatever I get my hands on that I don't seriously collect, like Tokidoki, the music box plus my Hello Kitty and Gir stuff. So, after everything, I've spent somewhere in the several thousands on stuff simply for display/aesthetics.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
Doesn't bug me a whole lot. I see ponies overpriced on people's individual shops off of eBay quite often as well, but as long as you're somewhere like here or MLPTP it's not overly hard to find ponies for a sane price. And cheap thrift store ponies... I don't mind that they're cheap as long as they go to a good home!

My best find so far has been a working Sweet Talkin Pony for $2!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
I have to amit I love ebay, if it wasnt for ebay I would not have as many ponies as I do, like already mentioned lots of second hand shops rarely have ponies anymore.

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 05:14:14 PM »
Well I think everyone would prefer to buy their ponies for like $1-2 instead of $10-20. I mean, who among us like to spend more than we have to? XD

However, reality is that it will make it alot harder to collect ponies if you're determind to only pay $1-2 for them. I imagen it's not all that easy to come across them in thriftstores and around here we don't even seem to have any thriftstores >.< At least not that I've found that actually sell ponies. It's mostly old clothes and other odd stuff.

So for me Ebay and the MLP communitys are a blessing. I wouldn't have even half of what I have today if it wasn't for that. As collectible items - and as a collector - I am prepared to pay what they're worth as a collectors item. That beeing said I'm never gonna pay like $20 for a Peachy. The Ebay sellers that try that ain't gonna fool me :P However, aslong as the prices are fair in a MLP collectors point of view I don't mind spending that money.

That is what collecting is I'm afraid. Spending money :P
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Jupiter

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 05:30:07 PM »
 G1's are really hard to find in thrift stores in my area. I hardly ever find them anymore. Thankfully thrift stores dont usually care about up pricing toys unless it's something obviously rather old and worth more. The most I've ever bought a G1 at  thrift was 1.99. I am super cheap too though and I miss being able to get them for .50 or $1. I had a rare chance to go to a swap meet on sat and some people still wanted $1 for baity G3's. pfft they can keep them for a $1.

The uppricing does irk  me sometimes, but I know people are trying to  make a bit of profit and I try to rationalize it that way...as long as they aren't going but with it. Some people on ebay think ponies are made of gold or something.  Ebay does sucks majorly sometimes, but it's my main source of ponies for the last several years since I cant go to garage sales or swap meets without missing work. There are a couple used toys stores that I have found G1s in but they mark them up to $4+ for babies to adults.

I don't think I'll ever get into the serious money that is nirvanas

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
I don't even find G3 ponies in thrift stores anymore--let alone 50 cent G1s.  :)  It seems like times have really changed with many of the big chains choosing not to sell toys anymore for fear of lead paint/China issues.  So, I'd say the only times I get cheap ponies is when I buy a huge lot of them--spending $300-$500 all at once and it might work out to $2-$3 per pony.  It just seems inevitable that when there are more eager collectors than ponies that prices will go up accordingly.

I do, though, get irritated by people trying to cash in on ponies by saying RARE SUPER GREAT COTTON CANDY PONY!  $27.99 That can get old, real fast.  :)
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal