collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The MH Q&A/help thread  (Read 11456 times)

biologistkid

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The MH Q&A/help thread
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
Has anyone here done a face-up using Prismacolors + clear sealant?

My sister bought 2 CAM packs and wants me to do faceups and reroots for her (since she'll be making their clothes) but my painting skills aren't the strongest. I've seen tutorials on Prismacolor / watercolor pencil faceups and I think that would work best for me, but I'm worried the colours won't be as bold on their faces.

Just quoting my question onto the new page in case anybody has an answer.

Post Merge: July 29, 2012, 03:04:35 AM

Fixed it up a little bit. If you don't look too closely, you can't really tell ... right?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Frankie's Face by pukunui81, on Flickr

And until you said anything, pukunui, I didn't even notice! I think she looks fine :)

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2012, 06:00:13 PM »
And until you said anything, pukunui, I didn't even notice! I think she looks fine :)
Great. Thanks. I can't not notice it myself, unfortunately.  :huh:

It's not really noticeable from a distance. Also, I made her eyes look more even in relation to her nose. Now it just looks like one of her eyebrows is off, but that's OK.

Oh, and since I'd already messed up her face, I figured it wouldn't hurt to just try and use the nail polish remover on the paint smudges on her arm (there was just a blob of silver paint outside one of the stitches on her upper right arm). I got the paint off and the plastic didn't melt or anything, so I guess the acetone is diluted enough that it's not a problem.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:02:44 PM by pukunui »

biologistkid

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2012, 06:12:00 PM »
Oh, and since I'd already messed up her face, I figured it wouldn't hurt to just try and use the nail polish remover on the paint smudges on her arm (there was just a blob of silver paint outside one of the stitches on her upper right arm). I got the paint off and the plastic didn't melt or anything, so I guess the acetone is diluted enough that it's not a problem.

Nail polish remover isn't super concentrated (I think at most it's about 70% acetone, but I could be wrong?) so it doesn't react with the plastics as quickly/violently as pure acetone would. But that's good that you got the stray paint off of her arm!

Offline blackestbird

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:10 AM »
Question!

I have been wanting to collect the MH dolls for a long time now, but just haven't been able to yet. I really wanna get the Skeleton CAM, and I have a question. I don't think I like that blue wig I see her come with, but I'm not so sure I want to re-root her either: I like the idea of wigs for different looks. Has anyone attempted making their own wig, using nylon hair, preferable, although I think I'd like to try yarn/mohair too, and if so, do you have a tutorial, link to tutorial, can you tell me how, etc?

Thanks! :heart:
sig image coming back soon, oops!
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
I've been MEANING to re-root some of the wigs that come with the packs, but haven't gotton to it yet:(  The wigs have a woven hair pattern that I'm not sure how to recreate.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
I think it may be possible to reroot the actual CAM wig. I have managed to dehair one, and I got a few plugs in with the tool method, and it worked just fine. I would probably recommend using the knot method or any other method that doesn't involve glue, though, since the layer of glue might made the wig sit kind of weird on the head.

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline blackestbird

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
The problem with just re-rooting existing wigs is I'd be buying those wigs still - like, I've heard people use the LIV wigs and even Moxie Teens wigs, but I'm trying to avoid purchasing wigs because I'd like to have the customization you get with re-rooting, but still have the option to change their hair out. I'd probably not bother re-rooting an existing wig. Although this is an idea for that blue wig I'm talking about that I don't like, so thank you! I just wouldn't want to continue to buy existing wigs to do this with, I'd like to see if completely making a wig is a viable option. Thanks for the input! :heart:

I've found some tutorials, using stockings as the wig cap. I'm just curious if anyone else has actually created any themselves. An idea I was tinkering with was creating the wig cap and rooting it, just not quite sure how it'd be done. It seems like it'd be hard to get the pattern right, since you wouldn't be rooting it on the head. Re-rooting would be a lot easier, I just like the idea of having different options without buying multiples - I don't have a lot of extra funds for this kinda thing.
:heart: Thank you Nence for my beautiful av; pinkfrappuccino for my adorable sig :heart:
Lyrical Echo Ref  Pony Blog [under construction;relocating]  Commissions: CLOSED for the holidays

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 12:07:54 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're using fiber hair, doesn't it have to be wefted so it can be sewn onto a wig cap? I only know of one place to get synthetic wefted hair, and that's Cool Cat. I've heard it's also possible to weft hair by yourself, but I don't know how to do it... It seems complicated. @_@ Sorry, I'm kinda going off on one, now...

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 12:09:19 PM »
I've made several fur wigs, I'll see if I can work up a tutorial tonight.

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
Fur wigs are fun! I had one for my dragon before I gave her away... (And the reason I gave her away was because my niece loved playing with her fur hair so much, I decided to let her have it. <3)

Offline blackestbird

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »
I think in general, you're right PandaBerry, about them needing to be wefted. I've seen tutorials where they've just glued the hair on, which doesn't seem like the best option, but this is why I'm asking if any one has done any ^__^ I don't know that this is something I'll actually do, I'll probably stick with re-rooting, but just wanna check my options.

coinoperategirl, if you feel up to a tutorial, that would be awesome, but no rush or anything! Thanks for being willing to do that! :heart:

papier

« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Out of curiosity, did any CAM dragon sets ever come with a soft head, or are they all hard? If so, I'd like to look for one and have a go at re-rooting.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
Ok apologies if this has already been asked but I am desperate to get an answer to thi as it is plagueing me:

1. Can I use nail polish remover with a small amount of acetone occuring in it to remove a CAM faceup that is currently there?

2. What is the best and easiest way to produce tight elegant curls on a MH doll, I appreicate it could be the straw method, but I want something really good, that will last, if there is a tutorial I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you all!
~Icey~

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2012, 04:21:51 PM »
Acetone is safe on the heads.  I think I've heard the less acetone in the formula, the harder it is to remove the paint.  Kinda just moves the paint around, smudging it.  The more acetone the better.

Not to sure about the hair question.  I plan on trying out the straw method but with coffee straws, instead.  Been saving the ones fast food restaurants give me with my coffee in the morning:)  The curls will surely be smaller. 

I've seen a Clawdeen custom of her soccer uniform art (with the afro-puff) and the customizer said to get the tiny tiny tiny curls they used pipe cleaners.  I would be afraid the boiling hot water+metal in the pipe cleaners+plastic hair = very bad idea.  But it worked for them.  I'll see if I can find the photo.  It's a beautiful custom:)
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »
1. Can I use nail polish remover with a small amount of acetone occuring in it to remove a CAM faceup that is currently there?
I have used acetone-based nail polish remover on both head and body and it works fine. One thing I've found is that my thin hairbrush just sort of smudged the paint around. In order to get it completely off, I had to use a q-tip, but that is much bigger so requires more care so you don't end up removing stuff you didn't mean to.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal