collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question for the Nirvana savvy ponies on here...  (Read 1310 times)

Offline psyknife

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.personalfitnessathome.com
Question for the Nirvana savvy ponies on here...
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
So, I remember seeing the blue "wedding" Firefly posted on the boards a while back.  I'm not sure if there is only one ever heard of, or if this is generally recognized as a Nirvana pony.
I ask, because I recently won the auction on Ebay, where the pony was listed as MIB.  Well, I got the pony and it was FAR from MIB.  In fact, I'm now having my doubts that this version of a Greek Firefly is actually real, or if someone rehaired a green Greek Firefly and put it into a Greek Pony wedding box trying to pass it off as a Nirvana.  The box looked like it'd be opened already, so I gently opened it up... the pony inside is dirty... DIRTY!  Like, wow.  So...
Advice?
What is your knowledge on this Greek variant?
I wrote the seller to see what's up here, because you could see that the pony was dirty from inside the package (but the pics didn't show this too well), but the description said the pony was in mint condition inside the box.
So, yeah, totally not happy at all...

{I am moving this over to the Nirvana forum for you, as they will have a better answer for you. Thanks Ponylady!}
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:12:32 PM by ponylady »
Personal Fitness At Home ~ Home Fitness Programs To Help You Succeed
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Moondancer115

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Question for the Nirvana savvy ponies on here...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Can't help but curious of the outcome so gonna watch this topic. I hope it turns out to be really a greek pony and not a scam :(

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »
I am no expert on Nirvana's but your seller is a member here and I do not believe she is a scammer  :)
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
So, I remember seeing the blue "wedding" Firefly posted on the boards a while back.  I'm not sure if there is only one ever heard of, or if this is generally recognized as a Nirvana pony.
I ask, because I recently won the auction on Ebay, where the pony was listed as MIB.  Well, I got the pony and it was FAR from MIB.  In fact, I'm now having my doubts that this version of a Greek Firefly is actually real, or if someone rehaired a green Greek Firefly and put it into a Greek Pony wedding box trying to pass it off as a Nirvana.  The box looked like it'd be opened already, so I gently opened it up... the pony inside is dirty... DIRTY!  Like, wow.  So...
Advice?
What is your knowledge on this Greek variant?
I wrote the seller to see what's up here, because you could see that the pony was dirty from inside the package (but the pics didn't show this too well), but the description said the pony was in mint condition inside the box.
So, yeah, totally not happy at all...

{I am moving this over to the Nirvana forum for you, as they will have a better answer for you. Thanks Ponylady!}

Hi!  I am your seller :)  I am surprised to see this here so fast, given I received and responded to your message through eBay within the last thirty minutes.  I can guarantee you (as can several other experienced Nirvana Collectors), that there is absolutely no question that this is a 1000% REAL, GENUINE Greek Pony variant. 

Many Nirvana ponies of such rarity, unfortunately sit for long periods of time, in dirty places, so "factory mint" implies she has not been removed from her packaging, but does not mean that she will be clean.  Factories in general are dirty. 

For additional reassurance, Greek Green Firefly, even though Greek Green Firefly does have similar coloring, along with Greek blue medley, they are so rare that I doubt anyone would customize either of them.

I completely understand how shocking and scary it can be when you feel you may have been wronged, but you absolutely have not been. 

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:33:15 AM by Stormy31685 »

Offline tsukikakushi

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »
It's not uncommon for MIB ponies to be a little dirty inside their packaging. My veny Firefly had some dirt issues when I got her, but a quick wipe down will usually cure that. I was watching that auction also, you are very lucky I just got back from the fair and am broke ;P She is a beauty, congrats!

PS... Please post pics, I want to drool some more!
Wishlist:http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,350943.new.html#new

Currently looking for FF Minty. Let me know if you have her for sale!  :newpony:

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
I also want to see pictures!

Offline angelponies

• Trade Count: (+280)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
She is defenitely legit, and she is a beauty, I wanted to get her but I spent my money at the pony fair too. The seller is a respected member here and sells lots of rare ponies, in the auction photos the box looks pretty beat up, and when they are like that unfortuantly dirt can sneak in, I had a MOC Argie Sugarberry that had some card damage issues and dirt was able to get in the card, so I removed her and cleaned her up, she looks fantastic again  :satisfied:

Congrats on your beautiful girl too! she is a stunning pony!! I'm so jealous!!   :biggrin:

Offline psyknife

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »
I am no expert on Nirvana's but your seller is a member here and I do not believe she is a scammer
I don't think she is, no... just curious where the pony was before her... because maybe she got scammed :O

Stormy31685 - I was just curious who had it before you... if there is proof that this was real.  I was thinking, "what if she got conned when she bought it!?"  So, I'm not angry at you, I'm just curious of the pony's history, because I know where are scammers out there, and wasn't sure the history of this particular pony.  I don't think that YOU are a scammer at all.

Post Merge: July 17, 2012, 10:11:34 PM

Are there any other people that have one of these Firefly ponies or pictures of any others out there?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:11:34 PM by psyknife »

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:03 AM »
Psy - she is absolutely not a scam or a custom.  She came from a member here who had a LOT of rare ponies.  It was potatomonkeys.  There is also another member who has one MOC of this pony.  I recall seeing the picture. 

This particular package has been seen to come with this firefly or peachy (so far that I have seen) with the wedding outfit.  The ponies in some cases are factory leftovers or ponies made quickly from spare parts.  However, this makes them real ponies because they came off a factory line.

I am very certain potatomonkeys bought her off of eBay from a seller in Greece who had had more than one.  I remember seeing a picture of her before potatomonkeys ever posted hers for sale.

I hope this has answered your questions.  Please let me know if you have any more.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »
I own a MOC blue Greek Firefly with the magenta hair. She's not in a wedding box, but she is the same as the pony in question. Yes, she's an extremely rare legit variation & not a rehair.
------------
edit: I snapped some quick pictures in my pony room:

bottom row has all 4 Greek Fireflys MOC: orange, pink, blue w/ magenta hair, blue with green hair (well that one is mint WITH card, not sealed). Above you will see MOC blue Medley with magenta hair who is actually a darker shade than the blue Fireflys).

And here she is up close:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:59:43 AM by kitkatvintage »

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »
i have seen the wedding firefly flaoting about for a number of years :) she is a real pony and pretty htf as well :)

check out this thread :)

http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=282587/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

if you pop her head of you should see a factory weave inside and a greek tail washer, all greeks have loose heads so it should be easy enough to do :)

is she looks greenish here is my thoughts ~ i have noticed that the brighter blue greeks (moonstone blue) do go greenish over time, or have a greenish tinge to them. i have wondered if it is the plastic yellowing? as the plastic is dyed blue, the blue and yellow will give a greenish hue.

MIB and even MOC ponies with fully sealed bubbles can be dirty :( dust and grim can sneak in some how, i once saw a MOC pony with a fly inside her bubble :crazy: :( it is a dissapointment when you think a pony is going to be mint as she is still in her box and you open the box to find she is grubby :( you then have to remember that they are almsot 30 years old! i do remember opening some of my ponies when i was little to find them a bit grubby :( even the G4's have box/factory dirst on them.

i hope you are feeling a little more confident about your purchase :hug:

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline psyknife

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
It seems to me like most people are skeptical about the legitimacy of wedding Firefly in that thread too... heh.

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 06:49:47 PM »

is she looks greenish here is my thoughts ~ i have noticed that the brighter blue greeks (moonstone blue) do go greenish over time, or have a greenish tinge to them. i have wondered if it is the plastic yellowing? as the plastic is dyed blue, the blue and yellow will give a greenish hue.

I have both different versions of blue Firefly as well as blue Medley. The Fireflys are a distinctly different color from Medley, but the same color as each other. I don't think it's due to fading or discoloration, I think the Greek blue Fireflys are just a paler, slightly greener shade of blue.

It seems to me like most people are skeptical about the legitimacy of wedding Firefly in that thread too... heh.
In that thread, I think people are unsure if she belongs in that box or not. No one mentions that possibility of being a rehair.

So is your question about the packaging being original to her, ie if she's technically MIB? With or without the wedding packaging, a blue Firefly with magenta hair is still a very rare pony... one of only a small number within the community. The wedding box is definitely a Greek language package, also one of only a small number in the community. Even separate, both items are extremely rare. That pony in that box has been a one-of-kind item for many years. We may never know how or why that pony ended up in that box, but considering how rare both the pony & box are, I don't think it was a bad purchase. Even loose, I think a Greek blue Firefly with magenta hair would be a $1,000+ pony.

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 04:23:45 AM »
 :dribble: Wow kkv, can I come and drool at your house??? :dribble:

I think we are generally all agreed that the pony itself is real and that they can be dirty when in the packaging. I've had a number of MOCs myself (both Nirvana and non-Nirvana) where there is dirt, discolouration, all kinds of things. The QC wasn't always great in the 80s either. Greece were known for randomising the babies with the buggy, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was what happened here, or indeed if it was a bride and groom set with some ponies they had kicking about. Reminds me of Hasbro UK selling the odds and ends ponies, with random accessories and packaging, depending on what they were able to get hold of! For example the variant Princess Amber in Princess Sparkle US box and bushwoolie, or Bobbie with her UK Princess box, no mane, yet three brushes!

The packaging is clearly Greek in origin, and we have no reason to disbelieve the pony as real. Like kkv said, we may never know how she came to be!

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 05:51:12 AM »
I own a MOC blue Greek Firefly with the magenta hair. She's not in a wedding box, but she is the same as the pony in question. Yes, she's an extremely rare legit variation & not a rehair.

Ooh she is gorgeous! Kitkat, I am so jealous of your beauties in that picture.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal