collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Those of you who have dyed ponies before...  (Read 361 times)

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
Those of you who have dyed ponies before...
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:09:25 AM »
Hi! I'd like to try dyeing a pony green, because imo green is woefully under-represented in the ponies! However, the only baits I have that I'd risk testing a dye on are purple, orange, or pink.

Should I search around for a closer matching bait, or will one of these colors work if the dye is strong enough?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Those of you who have dyed ponies before...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 06:15:38 AM »
Keep in mind that the color of the pony may affect the outcomeof the dye. Green + Orange = Brownish.. Same for purple or pink.. If you were to dye it green, I would use one that is blue, for a deep forest green, or yellow for a more vibrant green, or white for just a green green.

One other thing to keep in mind is that dye is not forever. It fades. It discolors. It bleeds through paint. It is a temporary thing. This is based on my own experiences with ponies that I dyed like 6 years ago. Other people have different opinions. A lot of people share this point of view.

Ultimately, you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. If you do dye one, you should let it set for a month or two to let the dye settle, or it will bleed through the paint. If you sell it, you may want to add a disclaimer that dye has been known to fade on ponies, but that it can last 4 - 5 years or so before beginning to discolor.

Best of luck to you on your experiments with dye!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »
Ultimately, you have to go with what you feel comfortable with. If you do dye one, you should let it set for a month or two to let the dye settle, or it will bleed through the paint. If you sell it, you may want to add a disclaimer that dye has been known to fade on ponies, but that it can last 4 - 5 years or so before beginning to discolor.
I want to add to this. Letting the dye settle may vary... I've let a pony set for 6 months after dying and the paint still bled through. I still have that pony because the dye bled through the white paint in the eyes and I can't sell her now because of that. I love the idea of dying but with as many bleed problems as I have had, yeah. My last dyed pony was a G4 Pinkie dyed to orange. While the head took the dye nicely the body took a while to take it... then I was told to try and soak the pony in vinegar and then boil out the residue that didn't take (I had to do this a few times). I ended up giving her a FBR without waiting for the dye to settle (good thing I painted her orange and  there wasn't much white to make the bleed that noticeable).

Dying can be a hit and miss in all gens. I've always had the miss part of it x.x
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:16:43 AM »
The two ponies I've dyed green have come from a blue/green pony (gardenia glow) and a yellow pony (brights brightly). I don't think using any base colors other than that would be recommended.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal