collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toy collectors: Do you feel odd asking them as gift ideas?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Toy collectors: Do you feel odd asking them as gift ideas?
« on: July 14, 2012, 10:22:29 PM »
So.. my birthday is coming up. I'm gonna be the big 21.. I absolutely love getting toys as gifts. Dolls and Ponies are so much more special when they are gifts! But.. I feel weird asking my mom to get me one.. So.. do you think it would be weird if someone told you toys for a gift idea?

Or maybe I should just ask for a gift card for toys r us?

I mean she knows I buy them myself, and my sister ordered me some tangled dolls for my birthday. Plus my mom has SEEN my room and been with my sister when she buys me Pokemon toys.. So it couldn't be too weird right? She thinks it's stupid but.. I mean.. I could be into 'worse' things lol...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

Offline LadyStarCatcher

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Toy collectors: Do you feel odd asking them as gift ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:46:01 PM »
My mom ans my grandma and my friends buy me ponies and other toys. If it's what you want and it makes you happy go for it. ^_^

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:56:19 PM »
I've never felt weird about it, but I've been collecting dolls since 2008 and almost all of my dolls acquired before I moved out were from my parents. Though I've since started to collect cheaper toys (most of what I collected before sold for $80+ without shipping, so I could only ask my parents for that), I've asked any family member/friend who asks to get me a toy or a gift card or cash. My boyfriend, my family, and my boyfriend's family don't mind that I collect toys. None of them have treated me oddly/badly/etc for it, except for some guilting over buying a ton. I think some of them like that they can go shop for kids toys still. And I know my boyfriend LOVES that a simple $10 Liv outfit or something like that will make me so incredibly happy, when some girls demand things like constantly going out on fancy dates and getting jewelry and buying shoes and other expensive things. xD

If I asked someone what they wanted for a holiday or birthday and they named a toy, I'd be happy to oblige as long as I could afford what they were asking for. And if I couldn't, I'd give them cash with a note in their card saying to put it towards the toy(s) they want.

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:03:25 PM »
I don't feel so weird then lol

I'm gonna go for it! I even kind of want to go on a toy shopping spree instead of a video game shopping spree for my birthday. I don't think there's much of a difference, right? I've been saving up some extra cash for it. I have about 90 bucks saved so far and my birthday isn't until August.. so imagine the spree I could go on at Toys R Us! (pretty much my childhood shopping spree!)

Pokemon, MLP, Disney and Monster High! I could be set for a while on that!

:blush:I'm going to talk to them about it tomorrow after work..

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »
I ask but never receive. :P  Well, for holidays and stuff.  When we're there in the store and I don't have the money, they might get it for me.  But I asked for ponies for my birthday, which is this Friday, and I highly doubt I'll get anything; they think I should focus on going to college for now.  I'm just like, "Dude, I'll focus on that when I move up there.  For now, it's pony time!" XD

Offline karrie91

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 11:33:53 PM »
^ I feel you! lol

My sister is about the only one who buys me toys as gifts. She ordered me the singing 17 inch Rapunzel dolly and the 21 inch Flynn Rider Plush from the Disney store for my birthday. I can't wait for them to arrive!

She's also bought me my first My Little Pony that started the collection. A Dewdrop Dazzel that was on clearance after Christmas at Kroger. Most of my Lord of the Rings figures are from her. Tons of my Pokemon Figures.. My Tangled toy set.. Pokemon stuffed animals.. I don't feel weird asking HER. My mom though.. You'd think she'd enjoy buying toys again! She tells me all the time that she sees toys that she could have seen me playing with as a child. Soooooo why not buy them now and I'll display them and love them?

She doesn't understand my logic lol....

My dad... bought me a slinky once as a joke.. lol..

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »
My 25th (I'm 24) Christmas I asked for Hello Kitty, Pokémon and anime. So ... nope. I don't mind asking people to buy me things I want, even if it is toys or "childish" things. They get mad at me if I don't give them any ideas and mom will buy right off my Amazon Wish List 'cause she's knows what's up. :D

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

moondancer

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »
I'm 22 and I asked for My Little Pony toys for my last birthday. Felt like a baby, but WHO CARES?!  :biggrin: I live in a world of fantasy. I try to escape the horrors of adulthood by collecting toys. They remind of better days, the carefree spirit and the magic of childhood. I want to keep that feeling alive. You should see my room, haha. It's covered with My Little Ponies, Disney Princess dolls and figures, unicorn stuffed animals and figures, and my bed is composed of Princess and My Little Pony pillows/sheets/blankets. So don't feel embarrased. Go for it! It's not like we're sitting there playing with our toys all day (or are we?) ;) Everyone enjoys a nice bedroom display of their favorite items. Even if it's toys, so be it. Though I have spent more time brushing pony hair in my adult life than I have as a child....hmmmm.  :blush:

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:53:54 AM »
I've ALWAYS asked for ponies xD Of course, when I was younger, I also asked for other toys, but I still ask for ponies this very day LOL. But they are harder to find then ever in Portugal, so lately I haven't gotten any from family :( But they still give me tons of stuff - most of it I hadn't even thought of lol - and I end up getting pretty spoiled <:) *sniff* thank you, family !

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:12:32 AM »
Id ask my partner or my dad but thats about it..not that my dad would buy!!lol

Having said that..when my friends get me little bath sets or things like that Im not too excited because I never use them(I only use specific things) and it seems like a waste you know? God I sound so ungrateful!!! lol
Not that Id like toys all the time but Id rather get things Id use, even if its a gift voucher..

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
I don't feel odd for asking for toys, all of my family and friends are used to it!  But I usually do get gift cards, because they are never sure what toys I do or don't have.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:01:23 AM »
Nope! That's what I want so when people ask what I want, I tell them!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 08:30:47 AM »
Hm.. I don't often have to ask, my mom has always bought me plushies and she's def caught onto the pony thing - I guess she likes to do it bc it's the only way of hanging onto her little girl that she has left. ^.^

As for friends.. my social circle isn't really blooming at the moment XD but again, I didn't have to ask when they bought me gifts around hospital / my birthday time. One of them went ahead and bought me my first ponies as a complete surprise, and others went for cute little things they knew I'd enjoy.

I feel a tiny bit awkward in the sentiment that I'ma have to ask my mom for ponies for xmas (she doesn't know how to work eBay and I mostly want G1s) but hey.. it's better than her wasting money on things I won't use. I'm notoriously difficult to buy for as I only use specific scenty things and makeup, I have a really individual style (plus no one knows my clothing size..), I don't eat and I already have most of my favourite music.

Basically, I'm a nightmare to buy for and people know it. XD
Fight like a girl..

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
My 26th birthday is actually also comming up now in August and when my mum asked me to write a little wishlist for it the other day most of it ended up beeing MLP's XD
And I'm very fortunate that she knows how to use Ebay so I can wish for ponies of the net aswell as from stores :P

I've never felt odd about it around my family. I've never stopped collecting toys and my mum, grandma and uncle (we're a small familly) know that I collect MLP's, Care Bears and Barbies just to name a few. Especially the ponies. They've been a part of my life since I was a small child so it's nothing new to them I suppose :P

Besides, I have a little boy cousin who's 6 years old and my grandma has to go to the toystore to pick up toys for him for christmas so she might aswell stop by the pink isles aswell for me XD

Bottom line is it's your birthday and you should wish for things that makes you happy :) If that is toys then so be it. Your family just have to accept that and I'm sure they do ;)
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
Not really--I mean, my familys put up with this for well over 10 years now.  I dont really buy them from the stores anymore but I still go to value village from time to time and make sure they can tell the difference between a real pony and a fakie (though my BF needs a bit mroe training...he is getting better though!)

Then again, I dont really get gifts for my birthday anymore. Something small from my parents and thats about it.  My family is really wierd in that they cut you right off the list after a certain age...but thats another thing entirely :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal