collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: baking G4s?  (Read 314 times)

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
baking G4s?
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »
I'm planning on a custom that will require me to bake a G4, are there any tips you guys have for such a thing? I'm really worried about the pony melting or becoming misshapen. Should I take the neck plug out before hand? Leave the head off? Lower the temp? I thought I recall someone baking one and having the neck plug melt.
If it helps it's a regular sized G4 pegasus.

Success and failure stories wanted. Thanks a ton!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
Re: baking G4s?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »
I've not baked a G4 but I've heard people have done so at lower temps, and I would take the neck plug out but I'm not the expert on this. Hopefully someone with more experience can help :)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Kimmers4Ever

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »
Baked at lower temps like 210-215 it will do just fine! Just keep an eye on it, as you might need it in there longer then on higher temps.  And of course, don't touch til it cools completely.

Offline TwistedRainbow

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Rainbow Customs
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
i had the same worries with g3s when i first started sculpting...i still havnt baked a pony. instead i looked around online and found out about boiling it. it works great! i boil all my ponies and it doesnt take very long. the only issue can be the bubbles of the boiling water can be strong enough to break little pieces. like i did a sculpted corset and part of her bow came off of it but i think thats cus it was kind of just hanging there anyway.

good luck

Offline Vampasaurus

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Champion of Kirkwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:23 AM »
i had the same worries with g3s when i first started sculpting...i still havnt baked a pony. instead i looked around online and found out about boiling it. it works great! i boil all my ponies and it doesnt take very long. the only issue can be the bubbles of the boiling water can be strong enough to break little pieces. like i did a sculpted corset and part of her bow came off of it but i think thats cus it was kind of just hanging there anyway.

good luck

I wondered about boiling, what type of clay do you use?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://vampasaurus.tumblr.com/

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
There have been a few threads about boiling a clay to cure it.  I'll see if I can find the links for you when I'm not feeling so lazy.  Some people love it and swear by it, some people don't like it much.  In my experience (just regular sculpey) the temp isn't hot enough.  So I have a nice firm cure on the outer layer but it did not cure all the way through and evenly.  So over time the clay cracked because it was not actually cooked satisfactorily.  Once it broke I could see that the inside was just not done if that makes sense. I have bad luck.  lol
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal