collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling some ponies to get others?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Selling some ponies to get others?
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
I don't have a lot of money to increase my collection. :( Lately I've been thinking I should sell a few of the ones I have to fund some of the more expensive ponies. Is this a good idea? I'm struggling with it because I think I'll change my mind after they sell and I'll wish I hadn't done it! :huh:
Any thoughts? How do you guys fund your more expensive pony purchases? I need ideas. :)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Selling some ponies to get others?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:11:47 AM »
If there is any doubt that you would change your mind I would say it is not a good idea to sell any of your ponies. Also, selling cheaper ponies to buy more expensive ones would not be increasing your collection. ;)

If you are crafty you could sell handmade items and them use the money made to buy ponies.

Or have a money box reserved to save for ponies.

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:28:40 AM »
I agree with moonflower, I've done that in the past..
Later on you realise you need to re-buy the ones you used to have, so you go round in circles.

I saved money by taking my own food to college instead of spending the money my parents gave me or I took with me to get snacks!
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline knitgirl

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:34:00 AM »
If you have some that you aren't very attached to and like other ponies better, go for it.  I have done that before and haven't regretted it 90% of the time.  The only pony I regret selling was Mimic, but I sold her for moving expenses, not pony buying reasons :(

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:21:38 AM »
hers waht i was told.  that if your going to regret it dont do it.  i was thinking of selling a pony i had for 30 years packed her up and  then i couldnt do it.  simply becuase i had her so long.  so if it deosnt feel right.. dont do it. and keep cehcking thirft stores and  goodwilla nd flea markets.  as hard to belive as it sounds sometimes expnesive ponys you can find at flea markets adn yard sales.  ust keep looking.

i  sold  three  orignal mint in box  25th anversy care bears so i woud have spending moany earlier this year. if you ahve any other oys you dont want then sell them. i don regret my  care bears.. and it helped me have fun. also  if your into video ames sell the ones you dont play
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »
I have traded (and am still trading) some of my ponies for ones I want more and I haven't regretted it all.  :) I decided which ponies I wanted to keep by figuring out which ones I wanted to display--if I didn't really care to have one out on my shelves, I put her in the maybe-trade pile. Then I took a good hard look at that pile and picked out the ones that still seemed special to put back in the 'keep' box :D

I love the ponies I've traded for and I'm really happy that the unloved ones from my collection have gone to good homes! I think it's a great way to go about collecting, if you're not a completionist that is! Just give yourself time to decide who to keep/who to sell or trade, and like others have said, don't get rid of anypony you feel doubtful about.  ^.^
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Phekzhen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
Honestly, it's a collection. If you don't have the money to buy, then don't buy. There's no rule that you need to buy X ponies in Y days.

Things will show up eventually if there's something you want to buy. So just hold off on ponies for now and focus your funds on necessities.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
My first note is try not to sell anything which you even suspect you may later regret but at the same time remember that unless you are talking about a OOAK or super dooper rare pony, she will probably be available at some point in the future even if she takes you a while to track them back down.

Personally I like this idea and it is something I have tried...I sold quite a few ponies recently in order to purchase some other pony items which I otherwise would not have been able to afford. Its interesting to make a collection is dynamic - quite a few people will cycle items in and out of collections sometimes just keeping core favourites.

I say go with what makes you happy. Take the ponies you wish to sell and put them in your regular eye line - leave them for a week or so and properly assess whether you will miss them if they were not there. If you are even remotely upset by the thought then dont sell them - if you are not as fussed as you imagined then they are perhaps better sold to fund something you prefer. In summary :P...think it all through before you decide to sell thats the important part.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
I've sold ponies, Barbies, and X-Men/Marvel stuff to get more ponies that I really want :) 95% of the time I don't regret it :) But I am wondering why the heck I sold Port-O-Bella earlier this year!! Waaah! I want her back, I miss her :( I want my Sky Flier back too *sniffles* But I donated the money to my church so I don't completely regret it ^.^
My Wish List

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »
The way I budget for things in general (I am in college working two jobs) is that I cut down on food expenses like major- I make as healthy a meal plan that I can, and stick to it even if it is boring. That will save a lot of money if you want to save up for something quickly.

If that is too drastic, try what moonflower said- a savings box, put all your spare change into it, or five dollars a week or whatever. = ) You can also sell your extra household things on eBay! Also try cutting down on clothes, accessories, and a lot of extra things (no treats or candy! lol that is my problem- it is hard to resist ice cream).

I like to sell artwork and crafts, too. ^^ If you're not very happy with your art skills, you can try other things like beads or some customs.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
I've sold and traded ponies out of my own collection and I usually haven't regretted it.

I would agree with other suggestions.  If you really think you'll regret it, then don't.  Most ponies you can get back sooner or later but I've learned there's always one or two that feel like "the one that got away.". That said, if you're borderline about some, my best advice is to pull them out of the collection and put them away for a little while.  If you don't miss them and don't even notice they're gone, then it probably won't bother you to sell them.

Good luck!  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
I thought about selling some ponies once to get Greek Ladybird but to me it wasn't worth it as I want those ponies in my collection so would have to buy them back and would definitely end up regretting it.

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 03:39:40 AM »
The trading part is a good idea, but honestly it isn't much different from selling old ones and buying new ones for the money ;) I said go for it, if you think you can part with them. Of course no one can tell you if it is a smart decision or not, because some people do regret selling their ponies others don't. You know yourself best!

It also depends if you are one of those collectors who want to complete every set, or if you just want the ponies that seem special to you. I have never been eager to complete anything in my pony collection and I only buy the ponies that seem special. Sometimes I sell them again, and I never regret it. The only thing I would say is that if you have childhood ponies, I would think twice about selling them. I have kept all of my childhood ponies, just because I am sentimental like that ;) But if you want to complete your pony collection, it wouldn't be smart to sell of the ones you have.

If you decide you are not selling your current ponies, you just have to be patient in getting the more expensive ones. Save up money, or maybe there are other things you CAN part with. Then you can sell that instead. I have had some other collections that I have sold off, and been able to buy other stuff for that I wanted more. Other than that I have a full-time job, so buying ponies isn't the huge expense for me anymore. But when it really comes down to it, collecting is all about patience. We can't have it all at once, but it feels SO much better when we finally get it!

Good luck with your decision!
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline TimeDance

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:47 PM »
I am horrible at immediately going to my pony collection to see what I can sell when my funds get low. But as everyone has said, definitely don't sell your favorites. I have no problem selling ponies I'm "meh" about for ones I REALLY want. And I have my group of ponies I will never sell for anything.

On the other hand, you CAN still keep your ponies and save up for the more expensive ones. It means you can't be buying new ponies all the time. But if you're willing to wait while you slowly save up your funds, you can get new, more expensive ones while still keeping the ones you love.

angela22

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
I agree with the "don't do it" advice - I think you'll regret it. I've never sold any of mine to get others because I'm crazy and I actually think that the ones I sell will have their feelings crushed!  :P <-------- crazy person!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal