collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice for a new pony  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Miki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Advice for a new pony
« on: July 09, 2012, 01:20:45 AM »
Though I had a collection of G3 as a kid somewhere along the line they vanished. Now I found out about ponies again and I want to become a humble and true fan of all ponies. I taught myself about G4 and am slowly learning the lingo.

Totally want to buy bait and find a G1. 2 or G3 pony I could love!
Anyway my question is how do I start backwards? How and where should I begin with the G 1s. 2s. and 3s so I can learn about them

Folly

Re: Advice for a new pony
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »
You know, honestly, sometimes the funnest thing is to just dork around on mylittlewiki for a while.  It's almost as bad as tvtropes, with all the tabs I end up with... there are just so many ponies to look at XD

I used to be kind of a hardcore G4-only, ponies from friendship is magic-only kind of collector... nowadays, I'm actually WAY more fond of G1 ponies.  So many fun designs!

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 01:56:38 AM »
I agree with Folly. Spend some time on MLPwiki or Dream Valley and just read about all the different ponies, sets, nirvana's etc. :) That way you'll soon find which ponies you like and which you want to buy and then you can make a specific wanted post here in the wanted section ^^

Good luck and most of all, have fun!!! Discovering all the different ponies is one of the most fun stages of collecting :D

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 02:33:15 AM »
Well, my advice would be, start with what you already know. Start with G4, then slowly move down (up?) the chain. After going with G4 and getting comfortable with it, work out who were your G3 ponies, and then focus on them, and then branch out from there.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:35:20 AM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Miki

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
Thanks guys good advice.

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I recommend actually watching the old shows. There's some really great quality episodes on youtube, and if you can, to actually watch them in order, starting with Rescue and Midnight Castle, and include the actual MLP as well as that explains the whole business with Paradise Estate and what became of the beloved Dream Castle. I would also encourage to watch My Little Pony Tales as well which is a different series altogether and has a completely different art style as well as focus of stories (much more slice-of-life rather than epic adventures and more boy ponies). Both these series are completely different from the G3 ponies, and all are different from the FiM series. You'll get a taste of just how many ponies are out there, and maybe a few will really jump out at you as favorite which could inspire you on where you'd like to begin collecting.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
Yes I think peoples comments about searching Dream Valley and MyLittleWiki and similar sites which have pictures of all the ponies of a certain generation are the best ideas...look for a handful that catch your eye and then start stalking the Sales threads here or even ebay to find your new ponies! Good luck...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 02:55:50 PM »
DreamValley website is a bunch of nostalgia for me from when I first decided to collect. It is ultimately what inspired me to become a collector and gave me much knowledge about the different sets of G1 ponies released in each year.

The Rainbow Forest website helped me to understand all about G2s, so I would take a look there as well.

And StrawberryReef is my most visited site for G3 help and identification. All the G3s are listed there, but some may not have photos and others will, so you can take a look at Silverfall's Ponytopia or the My Little Pony Wiki for additional help.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »
You know, honestly, sometimes the funnest thing is to just dork around on mylittlewiki for a while.  It's almost as bad as tvtropes, with all the tabs I end up with... there are just so many ponies to look at XD

Yup. I spend way too much time on MyLittleWiki.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »
If you need a place to start you could look up the different versions of ponies that survived the different lines.  I think applejack has a g1, g3 and g4 version. 
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline Miki

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »
So much good advice I think I'll try to do it all. I love researching and old Tv shows! It sounds perfect

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »
hey there.. welcome back to the heard.. same story here.. found mine again after a long time. fell back in love.
if you are looking for some g1's at not to bad of a prices..go dork around on ebay for a while. you never know what you might come up with..
case in point>>>[link removed as per site rules ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
these two lovely ladies ive been eyeballing.
brush and grow were normally about seven bucks a pop when they first came out.. so your getting these at price.. trust me i know ive hung around ebay enough to know.. so theres a good place toget ou started.
i hope you find many many ponies to add to your heard and love.
goodluck..
btw.. also check toys r us this week end.. big pony pariphenaila sale!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:30:44 PM by hathorcat »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »
I'd browse the wonderful photo threads that people create here!  I've added many a new pony to my wish list after seeing a great photo of her.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
I think all my suggestions are here already- read the threads that are floating around on the Arena, Check out the online sites- my personal favorites are Dream Valley and Strawberry Reef, though I've spent lots of time on Rainbow Forest, too! If you are more of a book person (vs internet/online) there are a few good books- Summer (oh, I'm sure she has a last name, but I've forgotten it!) and Debra Birge's books are full of beautiful pictures- I could drool for weeks!
And welcome to the wonderful addicting land of ponies!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 01:40:31 PM »
Just look at the sale posts and also pony of the day. You will fall in LOVE.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal