collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What did you like about the MLP and Friends series?  (Read 3617 times)

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: What did you like about the MLP and Friends series?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 02:49:07 AM »
I don't remember the MLP cartoons or the movie from as a kid; although I used to get my mom to rent the first couple of Care Bears movies over and over again, mainly because the video rental place was limited on children's films!

It wasn't until I started collecting that I discovered them. Now I have all but 2 episodes on DVD and VHS and I love them! Gusty has got to be my favourite character. My favourite episodes are Firefly's Adventure and Somnambula.

Another thing which makes MLP and Friends (and other retro cartoons) special for me is the hand drawn animation. Yes, there are flaws, but I love them even more for them. Modern cartoons are not without there own flaws either; there are plenty in FiM if you pay attention to detail.

My favorite thing about the 80's cartoon has always been the characters. In today's cartoons we always see character "flaws" as just that, negative things that need to be corrected. Look at FiM, where every time a character acts less than perfect, the show makes it a big moral of the episode and have to even write to Princess Celestia to explain what they've learned about themselves that day. (Which is good, I'm not saying it's not good to be aware of yourself, but I do get tired of those 'fix the personality problem of the day' episodes)

But then look at the 80's cartoons, like MLP and Care Bears. Were the other ponies constantly trying to get Gusty to be less sarcastic, and did the Care Bears always try to get Grumpy Bear to give up being grumpy? No, characters with less than perfect personalities were not always 'getting fixed' by the other characters in the show. You know why? Because it's okay to be grumpy! Some people are like that!

I think our cartoons these days are trying to indicate to our kids that anything negative in your personality needs to be 'fixed' or erased right away. *shakes head* Not good, in my opinion. It puts a lot of pressure on kids.

I also love the complete and utter randomness of the show. Where else can you see your favorite characters running from a ghost who turns out to be a shape-shifting ostrich one week, and fighting a power hungry pig that can turn you to glass in the next week? :P

This sums up my thoughts exactly. When FiM came out it was great, but I soon got bored and I no longer watch it (although tracking down and watching episodes on YouTube sort of spoils it for me too!)

Cartoons in general are too PC and perfect these days.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:51:00 AM by moonflower »

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 05:21:42 AM »
It bothered me a lot that the intro animation was for Tales but the show was MLP&Friends sans friends.
I've heard a lot of people mention this lately, but I don't remember that! I only remember the original opening and the MLP & Friends block opening.

Also, I think I need to go find Moondreamers to watch. Even though I somewhat remember it, I seriously haven't seen it since it was last on in the 80s.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
That's from when Disney aired them.  They only used the Tales' opening whether they were broadcasting Tales and the original cartoon.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
Huh, I know I watched in on Disney...I must have forgotten.

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 03:21:57 AM »
Absolutely everything about Rescue at Midnight Castle. Tirac in particular. ^_^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal