collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What did you like about the MLP and Friends series?  (Read 3618 times)

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
Re: What did you like about the MLP and Friends series?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012, 02:35:50 AM »
I liked how Megan had an actual horse.  I know that is a weird thing to like, but I always wished they'd make a TJ toy. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
Here's the Nightmare Moondreamer episode I was talking about, BTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QerIRBLuu_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfRTxfQSb4
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »
My favorite thing about the 80's cartoon has always been the characters. In today's cartoons we always see character "flaws" as just that, negative things that need to be corrected. Look at FiM, where every time a character acts less than perfect, the show makes it a big moral of the episode and have to even write to Princess Celestia to explain what they've learned about themselves that day. (Which is good, I'm not saying it's not good to be aware of yourself, but I do get tired of those 'fix the personality problem of the day' episodes)

But then look at the 80's cartoons, like MLP and Care Bears. Were the other ponies constantly trying to get Gusty to be less sarcastic, and did the Care Bears always try to get Grumpy Bear to give up being grumpy? No, characters with less than perfect personalities were not always 'getting fixed' by the other characters in the show. You know why? Because it's okay to be grumpy! Some people are like that!

I think our cartoons these days are trying to indicate to our kids that anything negative in your personality needs to be 'fixed' or erased right away. *shakes head* Not good, in my opinion. It puts a lot of pressure on kids.

I also love the complete and utter randomness of the show. Where else can you see your favorite characters running from a ghost who turns out to be a shape-shifting ostrich one week, and fighting a power hungry pig that can turn you to glass in the next week? :P

I mean, look at Megan (I'll admit, I'm in the pro-Megan camp).  She sings a whole song about how she's afraid to be the "chosen hero" of Ponyland or whatever.  LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES LATER she attempts to PUNCH A DRAGON in the FACE.

:lmao: Would you be offended if I got this made into a t-shirt? XD It is the best description of "Firefly's Adventure" Megan I ever heard!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Bag of Magic Food

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
Here's the Nightmare Moondreamer episode I was talking about, BTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QerIRBLuu_w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XfRTxfQSb4
That is a good one.  You have the StarFinders ending up on an adventure with an Earth kid in Monstrous Middle, but Andromeda really steals the show with that unexpected nightmarish transformation at the end of part 1.  What I love is how even after she's tamed, Andromeda stays in "wicked mare of darkness" form until the final scene!

My other favorite would have to be "Stuck on Bucky", for starring my favorite characters, and for clever use of shapeshifting to nearly get away with blowing up StarryUp--so RAMChYLD probably wouldn't enjoy it, lol.

As for one-shot characters, I liked Ursa Minor for how she couldn't stop duplicating herself, when all she wanted was "to ask twice as many 'Whys' and get twice as many 'Becauses' back."   :lol:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
*struck by an epiphany* Ohhhh! You know, when I was a little kid, I had a dream about the MLP characters running around in space on those suspended road things. Looks like I saw Moondreamers and combined the two shows! lol!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Margos

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2012, 04:08:27 PM »
I mean, look at Megan (I'll admit, I'm in the pro-Megan camp).  She sings a whole song about how she's afraid to be the "chosen hero" of Ponyland or whatever.  LESS THAN FIVE MINUTES LATER she attempts to PUNCH A DRAGON in the FACE.

:lmao: Would you be offended if I got this made into a t-shirt? XD It is the best description of "Firefly's Adventure" Megan I ever heard!

No, I wouldn't be offended at all!  I'm glad you found it amusing, actually!  :biggrin:  And it is totally true, LOL.

Bag of Magic Food

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2012, 04:32:22 PM »
*struck by an epiphany* Ohhhh! You know, when I was a little kid, I had a dream about the MLP characters running around in space on those suspended road things. Looks like I saw Moondreamers and combined the two shows! lol!
Well, Blinky and Bitsy on the loop-de-loop from the first episode was one of those clips they always mixed into the credits of My Little Pony!

Hey, wait a minute, Wind Whistler rode the loop-de-loop too!

Offline EStRanger

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
Oh, man, MY CHILDHOOD. I can't believe I could still verbatim quote so many lines from that Moondreamers ep. And how did I forget how freakin' awesome Andromeda looked after she transformed? Not gonna lie, I wanted her to look like that forever. :D
Don't look for me!

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 06:08:23 PM »
All this talk about the series made me want to watch it again and I did. Yay for DVD's! Gives me a warm feeling watching it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
I love retro animation in general, but MLP and Friends was just, overall, a fun cartoon. I do think that FiM is the best My Little Pony cartoon overall, but I'll be happy to watch an episode or two of MLP and Friends for some pure pony adventures. Also, I love seeing all the personalities of the classic G1 ponies-- I think Wind Whistler and Fizzy are my favorite characters.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2012, 07:35:51 PM »
For some reason, I never watched the cartoons in my childhood. I don't know why, I guess I liked He-Man and Bugs Bunny more? Or maybe I just didn't notice?

But I do want Patch one day. She totally has this American south-west feel to her with that symbol.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
i loved the orignal mlp.  mostly i loved the  songs, i admit i watched one of the fim  episodes (more like  i  had no choice) XD  the song was ok.. ther was only 1 song.  vrs the orignal mlp.

my fav episode was escape frommidnight castle.  the 2nd was escape from katrina.  you cant beat dressed liek ad ream.  and  call upon the sea ponys,

i still prefeer  the old  80s one to this new fim.

Phekzhen

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »
I loved the original MLP. It was creepy and dark while still being bright and happy. Rewatching it, I can just see how absolutely terrifying some of the plotlines are. My sister got freaked out by Crunch the Rock Dog, and it still weirds her out, since being turned to stone is effectively "dying."

It bothered me a lot that the intro animation was for Tales but the show was MLP&Friends sans friends. It wasn't until college that I was able to finally watch Tales.

angela22

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
 :blush: Really embarrassed here, but I don't remember the show at all from when I was a kid, and didn't like it when I saw it for the first time recently.  :blush:

The show I remember and love (and still watch all the time - don't judge  :cool:) is the MLP Tales. So I can't say anything about the current topic but ... hey, a shout out for Tales! Woo Woot!!

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »
I loved the original MLP. It was creepy and dark while still being bright and happy. Rewatching it, I can just see how absolutely terrifying some of the plotlines are. My sister got freaked out by Crunch the Rock Dog, and it still weirds her out, since being turned to stone is effectively "dying."

Crunch the Rockdog is one of my favorite episodes. I love how Wind Whistler saved the day.
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal