collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Poor Abuse Ponies.... Makes me Wonder :(  (Read 7520 times)

MsGatamon

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Poor Abuse Ponies.... Makes me Wonder :(
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12:05 AM »
I would like to add my own observations to this topic.  I have two boys ages 6 and 3.  I do not allow them to deface or destroy their toys.  Doing so results in time outs, loss of toy and privilage to use what was being used against the toy (usually markers).  Lines have recently been added to the punishments.  My kids are not aloud to behave spoiled or like brats and usually behave well.
Being so young they often live in the moment.  No thought even for a minute into the future.  Or so it seems.  Stomping on certain toys, removing wheels, throwing them across the room to get them out of the way, chewing, coloring them, even shoving them all in a box or tight pile is fun, for the moment.
 I have delt with tears when they realize a toy no longer works or is gone for ever because it is broken beyond repair.  Even days after.
They also have no concept of money and do not understand how parent see defaced or destroyed toys as money wasted.  Or understand why a parent or other relative refuses to replace a toy.

FriendshipIsWitchcraft975

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2012, 12:40:55 AM »
I would like to add my own observations to this topic.  I have two boys ages 6 and 3.  I do not allow them to deface or destroy their toys.  Doing so results in time outs, loss of toy and privilage to use what was being used against the toy (usually markers).  Lines have recently been added to the punishments.  My kids are not aloud to behave spoiled or like brats and usually behave well.
Being so young they often live in the moment.  No thought even for a minute into the future.  Or so it seems.  Stomping on certain toys, removing wheels, throwing them across the room to get them out of the way, chewing, coloring them, even shoving them all in a box or tight pile is fun, for the moment.
 I have delt with tears when they realize a toy no longer works or is gone for ever because it is broken beyond repair.  Even days after.
They also have no concept of money and do not understand how parent see defaced or destroyed toys as money wasted.  Or understand why a parent or other relative refuses to replace a toy.

I know how this feels. When I was younger and I first got a Nintendo DS, this kid who used to be my friend tried to pull it away from me to play with it himself. I literally heard it crack as the top started to slowly get pulled off, and it almost broke. Luckily I yelled at the kid so loudly and angrily that we jumped away and let go. I started ranting how he was going to break it, and he just said to get a new one if it did. Even though we were eight or nine at the time, he still had no idea how much money went into things like that. Let's just say that when I was little, I had a very bad temper. I even told my mom to "get the pig-nosed brat out of our house" when she came and asked what happened.
That kid hated me for years after that, and now we never talk unless we have to for school purposes.

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
I have to admit that as a child I did draw on my ponies - but only in an attempt to give them eyeshadow and I thought it would come off afterwards. I was very sad when it didn't and I felt very guilty. I don't remember cutting any hair (although I did cut my own hair once, all over, with scissors when I was fairly small! My mum went nuts) but I do remember the drawing because I felt so bad afterwards. I really hope someone has them now and was able to fix them.

I've just bought some really baity ponies from Etsy and I'm in the process of trying to make them better. One is covered in highlighter pen :S
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Mintymints

• Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Sock collector extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2012, 05:29:55 AM »
I have to add to this~

All of my life (even now) I thought Toy Story was real, and even before I'd seen Toy Story I thought my toys had feelings, and sometimes I would talk to them and coo them when they were sad. I had hundreds of ponies, because my mom knew they made me really happy. I had a slumber party when I was 8 and my friends wanted to see the ponies I talked and cared for so much. I agreed and they picked out their ponies. I searched for Minty, and couldn't find her, when I saw a friend had her I just shrugged it off, and picked Rainbow Flash and baby BellaLuna. My friends complained that my ponies were drab and boring, and they needed to have make up or haircuts, I instantly refused. They also complained about how pink my littlest pet shops, ponies and barbies all were, and that this makes you uncool. When they left, they hated me for having so much more than they did (My mom is rather rich, and bought me stuff for no reason, I'm still kicking her for that, but thankfully I turned out grateful of my things) So when they left I went upstairs, very sad that my best friends now hated me, I looked at the ponies we had just played with, Denim Blue, Goody Dumdrop, Minty, Rainbow Flash and baby BellaLuna.I looked at the ones I played with and their harsh (to me) words echoed in my mind, that I needed to grow up, I needed to cut their hair make them different. So, I was really upset and grabbed Rainbow, and stroked her long hair, brushed it and whilst doing so, I saw her pink stripe, and even though ponies usually got my mind off of things, this didn't. I cut the pink stripe out of her hair, grabbed Bella Luna's mane, and cut her a forelock, and a really short tail. Then I realized the forelock looked bad and cut it of completely. This hurt me later in the day, I ran upstairs later that day and looked at the ponies that I just maimed, even though I loved them so dearly. I promised never to harm them again and to this day I still have them, and none of my other ponies have marks or haircuts.
My mom taught me things with the belt... So I started to become extremely intellectual and learned right from wrong fast. This actually helped me in the long run. :cool:
I still have the mindset that my toys can hear me, and my stuffed animals love hugging me, and I still act like a child in the sense that one of the reasons I CAN'T rid myself of my toys is because I still feel like the moment I got them, I promised to be their friend, and I couldn't break that promise.
I guess I really am jacked up  :blush:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:02:37 AM by Mintymints »

By Sunnyrain~Avvie by Starsteppony on DA

Englishgothgirl

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2012, 06:00:25 AM »
I have a stuffed leopard that my grandad got me when I was 5, so she's 17 years old now, she's had her tail stitched and numerous other things too, and when I was younger I bought her a collar, and a cat's ID disk and had it engraved so if she ever got lost she would come home to me x

I still have her, at my mums house, & she still has her red collar on :)

She's been to spain, france & malta with me :p

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2012, 06:19:01 AM »
I ruined my beloved Medley when I was younger.  My father is a blacksmith/farrier and I imitated him, giving Medley a hoof trim with a set of nail clippers.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
I wasn't destructive. I treated ponies pretty well, with the exception of some blue eyeshadow and a SHS forlock cut... If my toys were broken or worn they were thrown away.
When I got this gal with a group of ponies I wondered why?

(she's too ashamed to show her other side)

That looks like animal damage to me. One of my MLP's from childhood has one foot was a similar appearance to this girl, since my pet rabbit got a hold of it and chewed the bottom of the foot off before I found her!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Margos

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
I just don't get how kids can be that way.  I mean, I never cut hair, because I knew that it wouldn't grow back (did cut my own, though... but that did grow back, LOL!)

The only modding-type thing I ever did was, if I got duplicates of the same toy at McDonalds, I would ask my Grandma (who's all kinds of crafty) to mod the second one into a girl by adding bows or something.

But yeah, the whole Toy Story thing has always made sense to me.  I love all my toys dearly....  I just wish that my old stuffed animals didn't have to live in attics/basements.  I'm not even sure where some of them are (and honestly, I'm not sure I want to know the answer since the answer might just break my heart).  Especially the ones who were in my basement for about 5-6 years, in these awful black garbage bags.  Then we had a flood last year, and I cried and cried.  Damage wasn't that bad though, and none of them even got wet, so I was pretty happy.  But apparently, some squirrels had been using them as a port-o-potty during those years....  so they were pretty smelly.  But I'd rather have them stinky, then not have them at all.

Wow, that was a ramble.  Uhhh... point is, I'm not sure why kids can be so cruel (and yes, I do think that it is cruel).  Heck, I'm still kinda scared to even fall asleep hugging my Surprise plush, because I might damage her in my sleep or something like that.  Unlikely, I know, but it still worries me.

CrimsonEtClover

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2012, 01:46:26 PM »
I bet that a lot of the damage that looks purely destructive (besides animal bites) was done by evil siblings and/or their friends! My cousin once destroyed an older barbie-ish doll (I wanna say Francie?) that was mine... and some other stuff, too. I didn't want him in my room, but i didn't have a choice. Their family was visiting. I'm sure this scenario happens all the time!

He's in prison now, actually, which is where he belongs!

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2012, 02:04:44 PM »
I'll admit, I went through a stage when I decided Barbies were not cool any more, so a friend and I gave them very weird haircuts and "tattoos" and ended up leaving them in the woods near my house. I think this is probably a common scenario for some, or if the kid doesn't do it to their own toys, an older/younger sibling might. And markers can be very tempting to kids who want to add "makeup" to toys - I've seen it a lot with older American Girl dolls. I never touched my ponies though :P They stayed in fantastic shape.

Some children tend to be very destructive. These children are usually very spoiled and bratty as well. They've never had to earn anything, so nothing has any value to them. Everything is easily replaceable in their eyes. The only other reason for this would the child is going through some kind of stress or trauma and feels the need to take it out on their toys. (Things like abuse, parents divorce, etc).

I disagree with this. When kids turn into adolescents, they often reject the things they associate with childhood in the desire to grow up. Destroying one's old toys is a way to physically cut ties with what a teenager sees as childish things that they will never need again. Most adolescents are in a huge hurry to grow up, seem cool, and distance themselves from objects that they see as holding them back from adulthood. A few years later this behavior seems unnecessary and destructive, but it does not automatically stem from being "bratty" or abused. It's pretty normal. And blaming kids for throwing away their old toys in a culture that stresses rampant consumerism and teaches them to replace things as soon as they are made obsolete by the newest model isn't really fair.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 02:14:21 PM by babystarz »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
I kinda feel meh, at threads like these--- because people who treated their toys kindly, start assuming a lot of things about people who roughly played with their toys. So I feel offended by some comments.

My toys went on adventures with me, and got hurt with me. Some things did get hurt and "flaws", as did I. But I CAN tell you I loved my toys just as much as you loved your toys. And I did appreciate them, and I did know the value of them, and I was a very good child, and I am a responsible adult who takes care of her stuff now. I was very curious, and I wanted to push things to the limits.

(Ok. But one thing. I did chop off a few barbie heads, and buried them in protest to not get anymore since I hated them. I was 5, and it worked. And they were second hand, I doubt I would of done it to a new toy).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline FlitterRose

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »
I've never cut my ponies' hair  :nope: But I remember once,cutting one of my barbies' hair,becuase I needed a man doll and I was afraid to tell mom,because I just stopped colecting dolls and started collecting ponies  :biggrin: Anyway,I started cutting it,but when I cut only half of the hair,I said to myself ,,So why should I cut it'' and now the doll has half long and half short hair. :lol: LOL!

Anyway,it's really nasty when kids cut their ponies' hair.I've seen completely Destroyed ponies with hair like a punk and markers all over the body!

Oh gosh, I forgot to mention the scariest pony I ever found.  Baby Surprise was tucked into a bag of baits, and when I pulled her out of the bag I almost dropped her.  I think a little girl tried to "make the pony pretty" with makeup.  She had marker drawn on for lipstick, eyeshadow, and blush.  With the white face and green hair, Baby Surprise had become Baby Joker.
I gave her to a friend who loves comic books, and she enjoys tormenting her husband by hiding Baby Joker all over the house!

Baby Joker...LOL  :lol: Can't even imagine how the poor thing looks like  :lol:
Sup

Evening_Moonstone

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
This is Baby Joker (finally found the FB page where my husband posted it on our friend's wall):

FriendshipIsWitchcraft975

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:27 PM »
This is Baby Joker (finally found the FB page where my husband posted it on our friend's wall):

That's um... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
..."a beautiful little pony."

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
Please don't hurt me, Baby Joker!!