collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: "What happened in your childhood?"  (Read 4122 times)

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
Re: "What happened in your childhood?"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »
Also I wanted to say that look at your ancestors. Collections have brought people joy forever. I think it's our hunter/gatherer natures. It makes us feel like we actually accomplished something because we can see it. SO much of our lives feel like drudgery. Think about the 'normal'  people you know who collect anything. Junk cars, shoes, china, cats, stamps, coins, magnets from different places you've visited, pen-pals, guns, jewelry, music, etc... Almost everyone collects something. Look at the older people you know. How many have a collection? Almost all of them, right? Having collections is a part of life. And it's getting much more socially acceptable. Most people love something 'nerdy' (I call it nerdy and I am fine with it). My brothers have Transformers and they are in their 20's and 30's. I think us kids from the 80's appreciate collecting 80's toys. It wasn't just our childhoods (cuz mine wasn't good), it was a simpler time. We're trying to hang onto that piece of time when the world (in America anyway) was simpler.

I pretty much agree with everything said here. Hubbs and I were just discussing the other day how everyone has some sort of collection.

My Mom: Dolphins.
My Cousin: Disney Snow Globes.
My Husband: Pins from places he's visited and coins from foreign countries he's visited.
Me: Too many to list. XD

I think people act like "actively collecting" is a problem, when it isn't. Collecting is collecting, no matter how you look at it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 10:31:25 AM »
I come from a very supportive and loving family, and I already have a lot of other adult friends who collect things like Disney, or childhood related stuff. I like to collect as well, so it was my turn with the My Little Ponies. :P

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
Stardragon, your avatar is AMAZING. Do you hire out?

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 10:56:19 AM »
First of all, hugs to all of you! You're all so inspiring to not care about what others think about pony collecting.  :grouphug:
I'm in the teens/20s range! XD I started collecting when I was younger.
Yes, most young adults don't understand. (Unfortunately, my age group is also known for college bronies, so there's a lot of "anti-MLP/brony" hate.) I guess it's also a "waste of money" in their eyes because we're supposed to be spending money on dates, parties, dinners, fashion etc. But hey, we come from different places and have different lifestyles. Not everyone leads the typical modern lifestyle seen on TV.

And as a few of you have mentioned, who says "kids things" are only for kids?
I, for one, would much rather watch FiM over a horror movie; and spend $5 on a pony instead of an overpriced dessert at a fancy restaurant! :P
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:53 AM »
Inkymilk... I understand. People are so teasing and make me feel so ashamed for wanting ponies that I have to sneak away to buy them and won't let myself get anything too large and noticeable. Really though, there's nothing wrong with collecting toys. You're buying them because you like them and want them. It's hard for me, because I've been shamed since I was young not too like anything childish, but you just have to remember that it's your business, your hobby, and your ponies. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about the things you like!

Offline Twizel

• Switchblade Kitten
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • This crown gives me a feeling of power! POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »
to paraphrase

NO ONE can make you feel embarrassed/ashamed without your consent.

Who cares what other people think or say? If your friends don't respect that you like ponies or other hobbies, you can either not tell them or decide it doesn't matter. Its about what makes you happy, not them, and if they are your friends they will respect that.
And if your family gives you too much trouble, just do what I do - explain that someday they'll all be worth hundreds or more. Yes, even that Bowtie with the smudge on it. Unless they're pony-savvy, they'll believe you and hopefully lay off ;)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:22:59 AM by Twizel »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Honestly, who cares? You're okay with it, aren't you? Life is way too short for you to be bothered by what others think THAT much. Sure, you might feel weird sometimes because you don't know anyone who does the same thing, and that's normal. But everyone has reasons to collect ponies - most of us want to have more of the objects we loved when children, others just find ponies to be cute. If you really like ponies and want to have more, why not do just that?

Well said and I agree 100 %!
A lot of people collect things out of many, many reasons.
Of course it is anyone's right to frown upon collecting habits, as long as they're not rude about it.

For example, I've never understood why my mum's best friend collects elephants or why one of my friends collects angels - I just don't get the appeal.
My grandmother collects Hummel figurines - I find them to be kitschy.
Some acquaintances of mine collect DVDs (they don't even remove them from the packaging! They buy every DVD twice!) - I think it's a waste of money.

And me? I collect Ponies and Transformers.
MLP toys have been a part of my childhood, Transformers toys not at all.
A lot of people think it's a bit silly to buy toys for kids just to restore them and put them on a shelf - I think it's weird to collect anything but MLPs or TFs ;) :lol:

Don't overthink this issue too much.
You buy what you want! If it makes you happy - why not? If it helps you to relive your childhood - why not?!

Just make sure it doesn't get excessive. Food, clothes and rent should always have priority over collectibles ;)

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 12:31:08 PM »
Have to agree with everyone here, try not to overthink your collecting. People who criticise are usually surprised that something so simple can bring you happiness. In fact, it's rather cliched, but they're usually jealous! Ignore it. Buy the pony if you want the pony. It's your money, what's it to do with anyone else?

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
I've only been collecting since August and I'm 15 so.... I have nothing to contribute....

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »
My mom was single & broke. I grew up too fast (taking care of my bro & cousin) and never had many toys. Now that I am married & have a stable career/house, I'm making up for lost time! :P I've always thought they were cute & never outgrew them. :satisfied: My SILs think I'm weird, but I don't give an expletive.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2012, 01:30:23 PM »
I've always loved collecting things, starting with MLP and Disney dolls when I was little! There is so much social pressure to 'grow up' and halt your interest in those things. I forced myself to do the 'normal' things of going to parties, etc. And I was miserable. And I got farther and farther from myself doing things I 'should' do but hated and then I honestly just snapped.

I've been struggling with major depression and severe anxiety for two years now. :( Last year I pulled out my Disney dolls because they reminded me of who I was when I was happy. Then I found Monster High dolls, and then I rediscovered ponies. Right now my dolls and ponies are the only things (aside from my cats  ^.^) that make me happy and keep me fighting. I wish I had never abandoned them (and myself) in the first place.

tl;dr Don't let what people think of you, your interests, your hobbies or collections matter. Listen to your heart and be true to yourself.

Big hugs to everyone. This community has helped me so much in just a few weeks' time. :grouphug:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
I don't really have anything new to add other than applaud everyone who has responded.  I definitely think the age group you may fall into may have a lot to do with the response others have to your collecting.  I have always collected...ever since I was two years old.  I never stopped.  In grade school, everyone knew about my ponies.  I got ponies on my birthday and unicorn things always made people think of me.  The only girl that ever "made fun of me" for it was someone who jsut didn't like me...and I didn't care.  In high school I would doodle ponies and anime and people thought it was neat.  In college I didn't have a ton of time to actively collect, but the people I grew close to knew about it... they would joke around with me about it being weird, but they never meant anything mean by it.

Everyone has things they like.  Some people love certain colors.  Some people adore certain animals.  I think you'd be mroe odd if you DIDN'T have something you preferred! 

Don't let ANYONE ever put you down about something YOU enjoy.  You're not hurting anyone.  If someone wants to think you're strange for collecting, let them think you're strange.  Don't let them have any power over your collecting and what you enjoy.  Don't let them make you feel bad for liking something that is harmless! 

And - as someone said earlier - for those ignorant of ponies, you can always say how in a few years they'll be worth a ton more in value... that makes people take pony collecting a bit more seriously ;)  Look at Punzie, after all!  Heck, if you collected her when she first came out, you've got a good $800 in your pocket there if you ever decide to sell!  People just don't get it...and that's fine.  More ponies for us ;)

Offline Desert Rose

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Desert Rose's Dream
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »
I didn't have a very pleasant childhood at all, however I don't think my collecting has anything to do with it. It's just something I enjoy and have enjoyed for a very long time, and that's all there's too it. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd love to say "Who cares what other people think? It's your life and you should do what you enjoy. If they don't like it it's their problem". And I do tend to have that attitude in general, however I do understand where you're comming from.
I tend to keep my MLP collecting a secret. I do feel abit embarassed about it myself. The only ones who know are my relatives and the guys I've had relationships with (which aren't many - wanna point that out incase it sounds like something else XD). It does take me a long time to admit it to people and I prefer if I don't have to.

But that doesn't make me love my ponies any less nor does it make me wanna stop collecting them. Aslong as I get so much joy out of them they're gonna be a part of my life forever, no matter if other people know about it or not.
~*Erica*~

:heart: If you have ponies for sale then take a look around my page Desert Rose's Dream :heart:

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2012, 02:48:56 PM »
I read and here a lot of  stories like this of people being teased about still collecting toys. But it's odd because everyone holds on to a part of thier childhood in some way.

The only person that's teased me about the ponies is my room mate she asked 'why the fascination with ponies I don't get it. And why do you always pick one up and pet it when your upset? it's weird!'
( I always grab one of two ponies when I'm upset, Sherbet or Lucky)
I told her 'You don't get it the ponies were my best friends growing up Sherbet never picked on me ever, and Lucky is my dad's pony.'

I'm 27 I work hard I have no other major vices, I don't drink, I don't party, I don't smoke, I've never touched drugs, no fancy designer clothes, and no make up so I spend money on ponies! My boyfirend is much older than me he's 60 and he collects plastic spacemen that were his toys from when he was growing up and he not only is understanding of my 'pony habit' he feeds it!

Everyone's gotta have thier thing there are much much worse things you could be buying besides ponies   

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 02:59:05 PM »
Aw, don't be embarrassed.  Who the blazes made the rule that toys could only be collected by kids?  A man or woman collects what he or she likes.  Period.  Toys are fun, pleasing to the eye, have positive associations, and are AWESOME!  20 percent cooler than any other collection.  XDD  I'm a guy and I show my ponies to everyone.  XD

There's no *reason* for people to think that only kids should have toys.  If you were to ask any adult, I would wager that none of them could give you a concrete reason why.  only vague "You're too old".  Well, says who?  Who made that rule?  Or "adults shouldn't have toys".  Again..why?  There's no actual reason.  : P

I hate prejudices, period, but the ones that have absolutely NO REASON WHATSOEVER make me even madder LOL

I have toys all over the place, and so does my 64 year old. mum.  C:

I don't give an expletive

An expletive..  :lmao:  I like it!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:02:10 PM by hyenacub »

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal