collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sealer & Airbrush Question  (Read 323 times)

Offline Robyntbs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Magic Motion Pony
    • View Profile
Sealer & Airbrush Question
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:34:35 AM »
 Hi guys, I’m very new to customizing. It seems like most of you guys use Mod Podge to seal your ponies. I went on Amazon to buy some and realized that there are several different types. What one is the best to use?
Also I have been looking at airbrushes. Customizing is just something I’m doing or fun, I’m not looking to make money off of them. What is the most basic/cheep one I could use but still have it work decent on ponies?
Thanks for any advice!

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
Re: Sealer & Airbrush Question
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
Hi!

Modge Podge is a good sealer, a lot of people use Modge Podge matte (I find gloss modge podge to be tacky when it dries).  There is also a spray sealant called Testor's Dullcote that is amazing.

As for airbrushing, it is a pretty big investment, even if you go the less expensive route.  You can sometimes find a very basic airbrush for maybe $20, but it is harder to use with less consistent results.  Airbrushing has a quite a learning curve, so if at all possible, it's better to go for the mid to high range airbrushes to save big headaches ($60-$100+).  The air source is another issue.  While they do sell canned air for maybe $15 a can, it will hardly last through one or two ponies and starts to add up fast.  A compressor is really worth the money, but it's more on an investment than the airbrush!

The good news is a lot of artist get very smooth results with a paintbrush, practice, and many thin layers.  It takes a while longer, but it's a heck of a lot more affordable!  So there are several options, it really just depends on what you feel comfortable spending.  Good luck, can't wait to see what you create!  Hope this helps a little!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal