collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing Question  (Read 626 times)

spiderwax

• Trade Count: (0)
Rehairing Question
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:02:08 PM »
Ok so I am very new to custom pony making, and have been trying to rehair a small g4 figurine with wire and tweezers. Now it works, but it's hard and kills my hands. Is there an easier way? I know their are tools for  rooting doll hair, but are they worth buying? Any suggestion on which tool to buy?

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Rehairing Question
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
Rehairing tools are definitely worth it!  I did my first pony with the wire method, and hated it.  Bought a rehairing tool, and never went back!  It makes it easier and a lot faster.

A few members here sell them, but the one dollyhair sells works, too.  Or you can make your own with an exacto knife handle, and a needle with the eye cut at an angle.  I'm not sure what size the needle usually is (I use the ones that came with mine), but I do know you can use various sizes.

spiderwax

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 01:06:51 PM »
Thank you for the help. I think I will invest in one, because the idea of rehairing another pony with wire makes me want to leave them bald. XD

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Very similar to what you're doing, but easier (for me at least) to handle is a needle, dental floss and needle nose pliers.  You'll go through a reasonable amount of dental floss, but it's cheap ;)  Take a length of floss - I like it long, about 20 inches - and fold it in half.  Thread the looped end through the eye of the needle (you'll want an eye big enough to fit the floss easily, but not so "fat" that you'll risk tearing the plugs).  Stab the needle through the plug (or you can choose your own plug locations by just stabbing through the plastic, if you're feeling adventurous ;)) and use your pliers to pull the needle all the way through.  Pull the needle off the floss, stick your hair plug about halfway through and pull the tails of the floss from the outside of the head.  Hope this is a helpful suggestion!

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 05:55:32 PM »
I'm one of the folk that sells them if you're interested ;)

Offline teresat

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pony Cow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:58:37 PM »
Is there a guide somewhere as to what size needles are needed for various ponies? (I've looked a little but not extensively) G1, G3, G3 styling, G4, G4 Fashion style, etc.  I've noticed that the actual holes are all different sizes.
:biggrin: >_<^.^

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »
I make my own tools - buy a dual-ended pin vise on Amazon for about $4, and some size 22-26 tapestry needles from your local craft store.  I've used them for all gens of ponies without problem.

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:33:51 PM »
I make my own tools - buy a dual-ended pin vise on Amazon for about $4, and some size 22-26 tapestry needles from your local craft store.  I've used them for all gens of ponies without problem.

This is exactly what I use as well!  Switching to a rehairing tool cut my rehairing time by 50% at least!
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 06:39:45 PM »

This is exactly what I use as well!  Switching to a rehairing tool cut my rehairing time by 50% at least!

I'd made my own with an X-acto knife as well, but the pin vise is awesome because I can use both ends - one is a regular needle to widen existing holes or make new ones, the other side with the cut needle to root the hair.  If I don't poke extra holes, I can usually do a g4 head in about 20-30 minutes. 

reyl

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
I like the needle and floss method. It can be fiddly, but I like the results. I especially like the neat knots inside the head, from tying a knot in the middle of the hair plug and folding in half. No messy ends. And a needle goes through much more easily than a wire. Tried the wire for the first custom and it took *forever*. I haven't tried a tool method yet for comparison though.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 01:16:46 AM »
I am a personal fan of a #5 embroidery needle, I think. I mix the numbers up but it's the largest one I can find. I have tried the 22 tapestry needle, but it's too big for my liking. It works but it requires too much force to fit ino a hole, even one that has been widened by my sculpting awl. The force breaks the hair much more often.

To each their own. The embroidery needle works great on the g4 heads too because it is smaller. But if you want to do super thick plugs, then it doesn't work so well. I am prone to adding a middle row of plugs for thicker hair than to use thick plugs. Thick plugs split the plastic really easy.

The more you rehair, the more you will experience these things and form your own personal preferences. :)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 05:53:21 AM »
Much thanks on needle sizes.  I've been wondering.
:socks:   :frog:

spiderwax

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks guys, this is a huge help.  I think I'll try the needle and floss before purchasing a tool.

I tell you, never again will I use wire. XD
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:11:04 AM by spiderwax »

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 03:43:16 PM »
Personally, I love the wire method but I could never imagine using tweezers with it. Yikes, that's gotta be painful! Try it with a pair of pliers, see if that helps you any.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 04:58:42 PM »
I myself use a thumb tack to enlarge the hole for the hair plug and then use some beading thread. It works for me on gen 1 and 3 i have not tried any others though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal