collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Too Much At Once?  (Read 1778 times)

Argentum-Zeena

• Trade Count: (0)
Too Much At Once?
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:31:37 PM »
As much as I love Monster High, I think they're releasing too many at once. Does anyone else feel the same?

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
Re: Too Much At Once?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
I don't, but I'm also not a completionist. To me specifically, it is nice to have a variety because there's a higher chance of finding something I like, but I can understand how some people might be frustrated (it's the exact same reason why I quit collecting G4 blind bags).

Folly

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:45:20 PM »
I'm the same as Saply.  I like having a variety to pick from, but I get why the people who avidly collect the dolls might be miffed xD I only buy what I like a lot though, and even then I only let myself have one of each character, so I kind of like all the new stuff

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »
I think looking at it all at once is daunting.  I keep reminding myself that everything we are seeing now is probably all we'll see until next year *fingers crossed*  I understand what you mean though.  I worry that all these releases back to back to back, are pushing things to be retired/discontinued faster than they should.  Look at how many people are willing to sell their souls for Gil or Howleen.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
So far I'm only going after the Signature release of the ghouls so it doesn't bother me THAT Much but it does a tiny bit. Rarely I might want to get some of the other dolls that aren't part of the Signature line.

Since it's 2-3 new characters released per wave I'm fine so far. If it was done like having 6+ new characters every wave, that's when I'd either have a problem or throw in the towel.

I think looking at it all at once is daunting.  I keep reminding myself that everything we are seeing now is probably all we'll see until next year *fingers crossed*  I understand what you mean though.  I worry that all these releases back to back to back, are pushing things to be retired/discontinued faster than they should.  Look at how many people are willing to sell their souls for Gil or Howleen.

I feel exactly the same. XP That's basically what kinda bothers me.
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
It depends on whether or not all the latest items are going to be released simultaneously or over the course of the next 6-9 months. That being said, I don't like a lot of the latest stuff anyway (only Jinafire really appeals), so it's not that much of a bother for me. I can certainly understand the feeling that it's too much too quickly. I have felt that way about other things. Trying to keep up can be overwhelming.

What I'd like to see is Mattel improving on their distribution so more people can get more of the dolls they want ... and also cutting down on the bloody exclusives! Is Monster High a children's toy line or an adult collectors' line? If the former, then there's no call for all the exclusives and the patchy distribution. If the latter, then why are the pretending it's for kids?

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
I'm not a completionist, but it's still overwhealming me. I just want Spectra.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:25:40 PM »
What I'd like to see is Mattel improving on their distribution so more people can get more of the dolls they want ... and also cutting down on the bloody exclusives! Is Monster High a children's toy line or an adult collectors' line? If the former, then there's no call for all the exclusives and the patchy distribution. If the latter, then why are the pretending it's for kids?

Well said! Come on Mattel!
Come visit my blog!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

Well said! Come on Mattel!

There is no excuse for the patchy distribution other than the factories cannot get enough out there. It really would be in Mattel's best interest to get another factory to start pumping out more dolls. Didn't they used to have one in Malaysia? As for the exclusives isn't My Little Pony supposed to be targeted towards little girls but that doesn't stop them from having whole lines that are exclusives *coughCanterlotcough*.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
I agree with LuvlyMelody and pukunui  ^.^ I really love new stuff, I just want it to be paced out, so I hope all these new dolls will come out periodically over the next 6 months/year and not in one big clump. I don't collect all of them, just new characters + favourite old characters from new lines (I do want all the Scaris dolls, but I'm not generally a completionist XD).

The (lack of) distribution bothers me more; I wouldn't be so worried about finding and affording the new dolls I want if I didn't have to stalk stores and buy them at first sight or risk never getting them.  :huh:

And exclusives? Rrrgh.  :stressed:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:00:29 PM »

The (lack of) distribution bothers me more; I wouldn't be so worried about finding and affording the new dolls I want if I didn't have to stalk stores and buy them at first sight or risk never getting them.  :huh:

This ^^  I am afraid to pass on anything anymore because sometimes you only see it once (or not at all.  Curse you Howleen.)  I forgot about having to buy right away.  I had made myself a take-it-easy promise, and space out my buying when 1600, SS, and the CAMs all released at once.  That almost cost me a 1600 Clawd if it weren't for someone here.  I also passed on DotD Deuce because lack of funds, and had to buy him online.  And it's not for lack of shopping!  I'm in at least 5 different chains, at least once a week, and I STILL come home empty handed!
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
You guys should all help me out with my petition then!

http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,300031.0.html

I want to see if maybe we can use the power of social media to make Mattel drop ~ or at least tone down ~ their exclusives and also up their distribution in order to combat the rampant eBay scalping.

Argentum-Zeena

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »
While not a completionist, I want a majority of all these new dolls XD But main problem with it is that all of these new dolls being released/announced aren't given enough time to sink in. It may be just me, but I don't feel nearly as excited about the Scaris dolls, even the new girls, as I did when Rochelle, Venus, and Robecca were revealed.

It just seems like a bad idea to me. All of these new reveals back-to-back (counting the last few months) takes attention away from current products on the shelf. Throw the re-releases into it too, and you have more split interests and burnt out customers.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:12 AM »
This happened last year as well, though we literally didn't have any releases for about six months (December 2010 to June 2011 was completely dry) when Mattel opened the floodgates and decided to spring the bulk of everything on us at once from June-August and then slowly continued on through the end of the year. I had been hoping that they would have a better handle on distribution this year.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:18:33 AM by Mandy85 »

Repulsive333

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:41:30 AM »
I feel exactly the same way. I was just explaining to my significant other how i will not have nearly enough money for everything and it makes me sad. haha
I am not a completest except when it comes to outfits. I have most of the stock clothing (minus like 4 outfits that i desperately want)... But i only keep 1 of each doll as to not kill my bank. haha... still does though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal