collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community  (Read 12466 times)

Bee-chan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TLC attempting to prey on Pony Community
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 09:22:56 AM »
Did you see the first episode of Toy Hunters?  It was just as appauling as the TLC show.  That Jordan guy had no idea the value of a Care Bear.  And he has already invaded the GI Joe and Star Wars forums with most members wanting nothing to do with him or his show because of the first episode.

Just a heads up.

I'm going to be talking, via phone call, to Jordan Hembrough, of, "Toy Hunters", on The Travel Channel sometime this weekend. We chat at times on and off on Facebook, and he and his staff are the ONLY people on tv I trust to talk about toy collecting with. Why? Because they themselves are big time toy collectors themselves, fellow geeks, they have a business here in New Jersey where they sell the toys they hunt for from all over the US from collectors, and they sell at New York City ComicCon every year ( I purchased my G1 Donatello Ninja Turtle plushie from them one year at NYC ComicCon. X3 ). Jordan had Travel Channel create a section in their photo galleries for fans of Toy Hunters to be able to upload photos of their toy collections, and I was the first gal to do so, with my ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Breyers, and other toys, and I think that caught his attention. X3

He saw my post about this on Facebook, and wants to help the pony community out with this whole ordeal.

If he can help us out, that would be awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I did. He said that he actually admits that he doesn't know the value of most girls toys, he mainly focuses on boy toys. I think he can learn from US, actual collectors, what the true value of many toys are, and he's willing to learn.

But remember, that was only the first episode, and it was a test run episode.

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2012, 09:24:44 AM »

We really can't "ban" people from contacting TLC, as we can't control what every single pony collector does, but it is good to inform people about what they're getting into.

I don't think anyone is trying to "ban" anyone from contacting TLc, but are rather imploring people who might to understand the repercussions it can have on them and the community as a whole, and be educated on what it could mean before diving in. This thread is educational and meant to make people look at things from all angles. If someone decides to go and do this show, that's their own choice, but they need to understand not everyone will be able to just smile and nod at it, especially considering how badly these shows portray collectors and people.

I think there's nothing wrong with what is being discussed here and the fact that people have differing opinions, so long as we realize we all have our love in ponies in common and still love each other as a community.

We're trying to be there for eachother imho

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
Well, just be cautious.  Maybe before you sign up for the show, you should wait for more episodes to be aired.  I would also appreciate if he valued girl toys appropriately since the show is supposed to be informative to collectors and non-collectors.  I don't want people thinking a few vintage care bears are worth over $100--lol.

Did you see the first episode of Toy Hunters?  It was just as appauling as the TLC show.  That Jordan guy had no idea the value of a Care Bear.  And he has already invaded the GI Joe and Star Wars forums with most members wanting nothing to do with him or his show because of the first episode.

Just a heads up.

I'm going to be talking, via phone call, to Jordan Hembrough, of, "Toy Hunters", on The Travel Channel sometime this weekend. We chat at times on and off on Facebook, and he and his staff are the ONLY people on tv I trust to talk about toy collecting with. Why? Because they themselves are big time toy collectors themselves, fellow geeks, they have a business here in New Jersey where they sell the toys they hunt for from all over the US from collectors, and they sell at New York City ComicCon every year ( I purchased my G1 Donatello Ninja Turtle plushie from them one year at NYC ComicCon. X3 ). Jordan had Travel Channel create a section in their photo galleries for fans of Toy Hunters to be able to upload photos of their toy collections, and I was the first gal to do so, with my ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Breyers, and other toys, and I think that caught his attention. X3

He saw my post about this on Facebook, and wants to help the pony community out with this whole ordeal.

I did. He said that he actually admits that he doesn't know the value of most girls toys, he mainly focuses on boy toys. I think he can learn from US, actual collectors, what the true value of many toys are, and he's willing to learn.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »
I think this would be a lot of fun:) Yes there are a lot of things that one would need to be aware of. I am sure the show makes everyone look crazy...but we kind of are:) We collect a toy designed for young children....any one with any type of collection is a bit crazy....I am proud of that fact:)

But I do not see how one person represents the community. Yes they are apart of the community, but they do not have to mention anything about the community. Most of us have screen names so its not like we would all be exposed. If someone here wanted to do and went for...I would totally support them:) I would give them my support and help them heed any warnings that might be out there. I recommend watching the show. Get a real taste of how the show is presented.

I have wanted to see the show, but I have not had the opportunity to do so. I do love some of TLC's shows. Yes I am a Toddlers and Tiaras Fan...I love pageants...ALL of them:) I have watched all the episodes...and yes there are some moments I am like how horrible...but they have and do capture the moments of the littler girl that has been taught great values and the idea that the extra is just to compete but no the beauty of the child. This is not me defending the show or any debate...it is me just stating that ever episode of a season is not all bad. Yes editing can change a wonderful show and turn it ugly...but some times people are just ugly.

I think if the person took a moment and acted out their presentation and really focused of their persona they are...you could get a great show. If you wanted to give a show of how normal you are even with a collection...take the time to look at your day and make sure you make it seem normal in the eyes of a different viewer. With practice there is no way a person can make you look bad. I have done pageants, interviews, and much more on TV. Once you realize the person you want viewers to see you will create that image no matter what the media make of you.

I do hope that if someone from the Arena participates we will still love them. We will still support them. Even if the show makes them look like they belong in a padded room. We need to support each other. That is what the arena was for...not just ponies but to connect other with the love of ponies....and that means loving each other even when we choose to do something we thing is not right.
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 09:35:32 AM »
I've been thinking and aren't The Hub and TLC both owned by Discovery? I'm pretty sure the Hub is a joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery and I believe TLC is also owned by Discovery. So what happens if they do the MLP My Crazy Obsession episode and it's done in such a negative way that it makes people stop collecting or even watching the show because they don't want to be associated with whoever they have on the show? Hasbro I'm sure would be upset and I'm sure Discovery would as well since that would be messing with one of their networks. Last I heard FiM was the highest rated show on the Hub, so I'm sure Discovery wouldn't want the ratings to drop. And I'm sure Hasbro wouldn't appreciate it, and especially if it effects toy sales since that's what the show was made for. I'm surprised that TLC and in turn, Discovery would allow them to feature MLP (or any other Hasbro property for that matter, including G.I. Joe) in a negative light.

Bee-chan

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Heh, trust me, I'm not adding my John Hancock to anything. XP I'm not a fan of being in front of a camera lens... stage fright.

Just going to try and make the phone conversation from one toy collector to another, and see what kind of advice I can get from him, and if I can give him some as well.

Well, just be cautious.  Maybe before you sign up for the show, you should wait for more episodes to be aired.  I would also appreciate if he valued girl toys appropriately since the show is supposed to be informative to collectors and non-collectors.  I don't want people thinking a few vintage care bears are worth over $100--lol.

Just a heads up.

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »

I think if the person took a moment and acted out their presentation and really focused of their persona they are...you could get a great show. If you wanted to give a show of how normal you are even with a collection...take the time to look at your day and make sure you make it seem normal in the eyes of a different viewer. With practice there is no way a person can make you look bad. I have done pageants, interviews, and much more on TV. Once you realize the person you want viewers to see you will create that image no matter what the media make of you.

I do hope that if someone from the Arena participates we will still love them. We will still support them. Even if the show makes them look like they belong in a padded room. We need to support each other. That is what the arena was for...not just ponies but to connect other with the love of ponies....and that means loving each other even when we choose to do something we thing is not right.

People shouldn't have to act out a presentation, they should be proud and easy going about what they love and I think putting on airs before a tv show would do a lot more harm than good. Just my two cents.

But I agree about should someone go forward with this, the community shouldn't shun them for it. I would hate for that to happen.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 09:43:55 AM by kissthethunder »

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
That's nice of you to give him advcie on girls toys because I think he needs it -lol.

Heh, trust me, I'm not adding my John Hancock to anything. XP I'm not a fan of being in front of a camera lens... stage fright.

Just going to try and make the phone conversation from one toy collector to another, and see what kind of advice I can get from him, and if I can give him some as well.

Just a heads up.

Moonracer

« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »
Well... lucky for me, even if they did contact me, I doubt they'd want to come all the way from the US to some girl from Eastern European Country that collects ponies, hehehe...

But I can understand all the concerned people. I myself happened to see quite a few of theses kinds of shows myself: like that VH1 produced show about people having different obsessions (forgot what the name of it was). There was this episode about a girl who collects everything that has to do with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, inculding the props from the live action films. I guess the show was supposed to be informative at first, but by the end it turned out to be nothing more than something that would mock the girl, with the host of the show saying some dumb comments about her.

That's what the majority of these kind of shows are: modern-day freak shows, a cheap sensation for the crowd meant to present majority of the hobbies and "obsessions" in a negative light, as something you should avoid doing in order to look hip and cool. It's as if by showing all the collectors out there those people mean to say: "Hey! Look at those loosers. Look how pathetic they are! You don't want to be a nerd like them!".

I might be exaggerating, but that's the impression I get. That being a geek, a nerd, and having a passion for something, is lame and wrong. And I don't like this at all.

Of course, it isn't to say that all TV Shows that talk about people's hobbies and interests are set to make fun of collectors and all the "geeks" out there. But many of them do, and I think that this needs to stop...

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
I do not see how one person represents the community. Yes they are apart of the community, but they do not have to mention anything about the community.

Whether their intention is to represent the community or just themselves is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to this type of exposure.  Pony collectors are becoming more known in the mainstream thanks to FIM and the brony fandom.  People who aren't collectors of anything, just average, everyday folks, have probably had some kind of exposure to MLP in the last year or so.  Unfortunately, the average everyday folks aren't going to remember their MLP exposure because of average everyday collectors, like the majority of us.  It's the things that are shocking, deviant and more "out of the box" than just collecting that people remember.  And then they have that association with MLP in general. 

I recently had a conversation with another collector (non-MLP) and figured "hey, you're a collector!  We have a similar mentality, you could be way cool to hang out with!"  Yeah, then I told him what I collect.  Even as a collector himself, he wants nothing to do with MLP or MLP collectors because of the negative light that's already been put out there, and that's without the help of a national television show that emphasizes the "crazy" in My Crazy Obsession.  I was basically told that I'm a pedophile because I collect MLP's.  In his mind, all MLP collectors = Bronies, and all Bronies = pedophiles.  Thanks to a small subset of deviant people who have been unfortunately vocal about how extreme their passion for MLP is.  Can you imagine what will happen to the community in general once millions of average, everyday folks see MLP as a crazy person's sport?

ETA:  I think it's incredibly niave to think that someone who might do this show could sway the minds of people who watch this program into thinking the subjects are just normal and innocent.  People watch this show because they WANT to see how bizarre the subjects are.  And yes, I'm referring to people as subjects, as that's what they are when they're exposed like this.  TLC is a tv station, they don't exist without viewers and ratings.  A show that's simply informative about collecting is not going to be half as interesting to the average viewer nowadays than a show about freaks who obsess over a toy that isn't created for them.     
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:01:33 AM by PhyllieBean »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline kissthethunder

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
I do not see how one person represents the community. Yes they are apart of the community, but they do not have to mention anything about the community.

Whether their intention is to represent the community or just themselves is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to this type of exposure.  Pony collectors are becoming more known in the mainstream thanks to FIM and the brony fandom.  People who aren't collectors of anything, just average, everyday folks, have probably had some kind of exposure to MLP in the last year or so.  Unfortunately, the average everyday folks aren't going to remember their MLP exposure because of average everyday collectors, like the majority of us.  It's the things that are shocking, deviant and more "out of the box" than just collecting that people remember.  And then they have that association with MLP in general. 

I recently had a conversation with another collector (non-MLP) and figured "hey, you're a collector!  We have a similar mentality, you could be way cool to hang out with!"  Yeah, then I told him what I collect.  Even as a collector himself, he wants nothing to do with MLP or MLP collectors because of the negative light that's already been put out there, and that's without the help of a national television show that emphasizes the "crazy" in My Crazy Obsession.  I was basically told that I'm a pedophile because I collect MLP's.  In his mind, all MLP collectors = Bronies, and all Bronies = pedophiles.  Thanks to a small subset of deviant people who have been unfortunately vocal about how extreme their passion for MLP is.  Can you imagine what will happen to the community in general once millions of average, everyday folks see MLP as a crazy person's sport?

ETA:  I think it's incredibly niave to think that someone who might do this show could sway the minds of people who watch this program into thinking the subjects are just normal and innocent.  People watch this show because they WANT to see how bizarre the subjects are.  And yes, I'm referring to people as subjects, as that's what they are when they're exposed like this.   

^^ I agree with this

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
I agree that one person is generalized to a larger group...its not fun...but I have not time for people who will look at me and judge me because of what another person has done to tarnish a reputation.

I do see how a collector on the show could hurt those here and other collectors...but those that think like that are not worth my time:P

We all act out a presentation in our lives...how I am at work is different then at home, and in other social events. Its how humans work. So if you want to be filmed and what the viewers to see the normal you...thats when you create your presentation...no you do not have to become someone you are not...but at work I have to be professional and no pony talking....at home I get to be my 4 year old self playing with ponies...if I was being filmed....my 4 year old self just might be hidden or toned down a bit:)

I know I have replied to specific comments...and I want you to know I value your comments and think you have made great points:) My response is only my thoughts and have no intentions of being negative:) Sometimes when I read type I get different emotions...and might mis read the actual content...so please note my comment is to be as positive as I can be:)
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
I do see how a collector on the show could hurt those here and other collectors...but those that think like that are not worth my time:P

I understand you're not trying to be negative, and you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but do you see how a statement like the above one can be portrayed pretty negatively?  People who are opposed to this idea are opposed to it because they have an honest care and concern for the community.  We're trying to protect not just ourselves, but our friends and the portrayal of everyone involved in MLP collecting, whether they're a member of this forum or another.  Saying that people who are concerned about how the community looks aren't worth your time is a little contradictory if you're involved in said community.  Just saying...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
I want to respond...but typing is hard to really convey the correct message...I do not want anyone to think I am negative or use my words against me...

Just know I support and love those here no matter your choices, opinions, or comments you might make. You are a collector and be proud and those that make you feel less then by your collection is not seeing the value I see in you all the value of who you are...and the value all collectors have.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:31 AM »

I understand you're not trying to be negative, and you're definitely entitled to your opinion, but do you see how a statement like the above one can be portrayed pretty negatively?  People who are opposed to this idea are opposed to it because they have an honest care and concern for the community.  We're trying to protect not just ourselves, but our friends and the portrayal of everyone involved in MLP collecting, whether they're a member of this forum or another.  Saying that people who are concerned about how the community looks aren't worth your time is a little contradictory if you're involved in said community.  Just saying...

I actually read Crowning Glory's statement as not having time for the people who think collectors are crazy. And that's really admirable, I wish I could be that strong, but unfortunately I'm not, and I expect that I'm not the only one.

That being said, there's nothing I can add about TLC and shows of the nature we're talking about that hasn't already been said, so I won't be repetitive, but I wanted to say I am so impressed by the wonderful tone of this discussion and the respect and patience folks are having. It's so nice to see civilized discussion on the internet. That's why I love the Arena so much!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal