collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Magnetic G3 Pony and Laptop?  (Read 3479 times)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic G3 Pony and Laptop?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »
Paramedics arrived within five minutes, but were unable to revive Roberts.  Williamson reportedly was so distraught over the ordeal that she burned a collection of over 100 of the small plastic toys.

Aw.  It is sad that happened; poor kid must have been traumatized - I would have been.  :(

In general, I just keep my g3s far away from all of my electronics.  Seems the safest solution.
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 02:10:02 PM »
Gosh thats a scary story!!! Poor child and family must have been traumatised.

Mind you if you had to put warning labels of everything something could damage to the list sure could get long -  cant be as silly as the label once seen on a travel blanket which read "Not to be used as protection against a hurricane"...huh?
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 06:03:16 PM »
Mind you if you had to put warning labels of everything something could damage to the list sure could get long
Well, they don't have to necessarily put down a long list- just something along the lines as "not to be placed near magnetic storage media(*1), CRT displays and health support devices"

Then again, it gets very silly when you think about it- the main purpose of the magnets in the hooves was to serve as triggers for the electronic playsets' sensors!

(*1) AKA Hard drives, floppy disks (remember them?), VHS Cassettes and Audio Cassettes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 06:05:33 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »
...if you had to put warning labels of everything something could damage to the list sure could get long -  cant be as silly as the label once seen on a travel blanket which read "Not to be used as protection against a hurricane"...huh?

"Not to be used as protection against a hurricane"... hah! It's true though, there are some things that seem like common sense, but it's not common to everyone. ^^;

Since RAMChYLD mentionned VHS tapes (yes, we still remember them!  :biggrin:), I remembered that they packaged VHS videos RIGHT BESIDE magnetic G3 ponies - ie Starcatcher. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline DoctorMowinckel

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • A good companion in a weird sort of way.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.edwardrmowinckel.com
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 06:42:16 PM »
IIRC, there was actually a news story about a little kid accidentally messing up an older relatives pacemaker with a G3 pony.  :/
:(
There really should have been more obvious "do not put pony near..." warnings on the packages... I'm glad they stopped putting magnets in hooves!

I made a video demonstrating the strength of hard drive magnets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEG-s9XC0II

These are in EVERY HARD DRIVE. Unless it's a SSD. They are wicked strong and they are inside your hard drive. A G3 pony on a notebook won't do diddly.
The video is set to private so we can't see it... :P But whew, what a relief!

Thanks for the tech advice everyone! :)

argh! It is no longer private, my mistake!

I have a blag about ponies.

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
IIRC, there was actually a news story about a little kid accidentally messing up an older relatives pacemaker with a G3 pony.  :/
:(
There really should have been more obvious "do not put pony near..." warnings on the packages... I'm glad they stopped putting magnets in hooves!

I made a video demonstrating the strength of hard drive magnets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEG-s9XC0II

These are in EVERY HARD DRIVE. Unless it's a SSD. They are wicked strong and they are inside your hard drive. A G3 pony on a notebook won't do diddly.
The video is set to private so we can't see it... :P But whew, what a relief!

Thanks for the tech advice everyone! :)

"Me? Pretty strong guy. I play hockey!" :rofl:
Your video was quite enthusiastic and very informing & effective at the same time! Thanks a bunch for demonstrating the strength of hard drive magnets!!   :thumb:

Love the dedicated pony area by the mirror by the way. :)

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 08:52:14 PM »
Since RAMChYLD mentionned VHS tapes (yes, we still remember them!  :biggrin:), I remembered that they packaged VHS videos RIGHT BESIDE magnetic G3 ponies - ie Starcatcher. :P
And the tape was still playable?! :P

If the magnet can't damage a VHS tape, it's a weak magnet and it can't do anything to a hard drive at all.

Well, you have those in the hard drive, then there's shielding around the hard drive, so I'd say it's pretty safe.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:06:30 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
Not very weak at all, IMO--I can hang G3s upside down on metal surfaces!  ;)  I often have some climbing up my fridge . . .

It's true Starcatcher was packaged with a VHS tape, but IIRC, Starcatcher's magnet was in her back hoof rather than her front hoof like most G3s.  So the magnet was actually a good distance away from the tape.

With "A Very Charming Birthday" VHS, the tape was sort of strapped to the back of the packaging with tape, outside of it, so again no direct contact with the magnet.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:47 AM »
I remember as a kid in the 80s if you put a magnet on top of the TV the screen would go green, so I don't put magnets anywhere near electricals now :lol:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 02:16:10 AM »
Not very weak at all, IMO--I can hang G3s upside down on metal surfaces!  ;)  I often have some climbing up my fridge . . .

It's true Starcatcher was packaged with a VHS tape, but IIRC, Starcatcher's magnet was in her back hoof rather than her front hoof like most G3s.  So the magnet was actually a good distance away from the tape.

With "A Very Charming Birthday" VHS, the tape was sort of strapped to the back of the packaging with tape, outside of it, so again no direct contact with the magnet.

*nostalgia moment when ponies were packaged with VHS tapes and not mini DVDs*...sigh :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Cadence

• The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 02:46:12 PM »

*nostalgia moment when ponies were packaged with VHS tapes and not mini DVDs*...sigh :P

Very true, LadyMoondancer. The tapes were playable even if they were only a few inches away from the back hoof. By the way, I would probably love your fridge!
And yes hathorcat, I'm reminiscing with you.  :P

I remember as a kid in the 80s if you put a magnet on top of the TV the screen would go green, so I don't put magnets anywhere near electricals now :lol:
Wow, hope your TV was okay after removing the magnet! (If I had known that as a kid, I probably would've found that fun. XD)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
I don't risk it at all... not since Mr G set a small. magnetic aerial on one side of his laptop temporarily and killed his harddrive

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:01 AM »
Wow, hope your TV was okay after removing the magnet! (If I had known that as a kid, I probably would've found that fun. XD)
Most newer CRT TVs and monitors made before CRT was discontinued have a degauss circuit inside. Just turn the TV or monitor off, wait a few minutes, And turn it back on. When it comes out of standby, you'll hear an extra click, and the picture will be fixed :)

I don't risk it at all... not since Mr G set a small. magnetic aerial on one side of his laptop temporarily and killed his harddrive
Hmmm, I'd think that was a coincidence. Either that or the laptop was poorly designed and lacked shielding over the drive bay, and was coupled with a poorly made hard drive (*cough*hitachideskstar*cough*).

And I think I've seen one of such antenna- the magnet on that one is extremely strong (I actually found it very tough to remove from the metal display shelf : P ), very much stronger than one in the hoof of a G3. It is also way bigger.

Another thing tho- the magnets DoctorMowinckel demonstrated are for desktop (3.5 inch) hard drives. Laptop (2.5 inch) hard drives are smaller and thinner, and thus may be more sensitive to magnetic fields. But on the other hand, laptop hard drives must be built to withstand strong magnetic forces or the owner would have trouble every time he/she passes through a metal detector or baggage scanner! Both which generates extreme amounts of magnetic forces while in operation, and some are even known to destroy camcorder recordings back when camcorders used tapes!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:45:53 AM by RAMChYLD »

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:37 AM »
Hmmm, I'd think that was a coincidence. Either that or the laptop was poorly designed and lacked shielding over the drive bay, and was coupled with a poorly made hard drive (*cough*hitachideskstar*cough*).

And I think I've seen one of such antenna- the magnet on that one is extremely strong (I actually found it very tough to remove from the metal display shelf : P ), very much stronger than one in the hoof of a G3. It is also way bigger.

Quite possibly.... it was a good number  of years ago now (at least 5, possibly as many as 7 or 8), and the laptop wasn't exactly new at the time. Fairly sure it wasn't a coincidence, but I never tested the strength of the magnet myself, so it may well have been quite strong. From memory it  had a bigger surface area, but was quite thin. I still prefer not to risk it, just in case ;)

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 05:29:43 AM »
I have no idea but I'm not about to take chances because I put tape over my G3 Star Swirl pony's magnetic hoof.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal