collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MH noob questions...  (Read 910 times)

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
MH noob questions...
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
Now first of all, I don't like dolls.

But...

I really, really like Spectra for some reason, and I'd like to get one :)

So couple of MH doll questions if anyone could help me please?

CaM starter sets - I understand these come in sets with one torso, two sets of everything else and one wig? Individual CaM sets don't include a torso?
Now if I was to get, say,  Frankie Stein (whom I also like for some horrible reason!!!) Is her hair rooted?
Could I get a wig for her?
Are MH dolls hard to reroot?
Do the heads from the CaMs fit on the bodies from the regular dolls?
Are MH heads easily customisable? (eg is it possible for someone to repaint eyes/makeup as well as new hair?)

Does anyone have any helpful hints and tips for me as I start to cannon headfirst down this slippery slope?

Of course all this is theoretical as I don't like dolls.

:blush:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 10:04:27 AM by Pinkamena »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
Re: MH noob questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
Question 1 - Yes, new sets come with two sets of everything but a stand, brush, and wig. Keep in mind that the new starter sets are still rather elusive so you'll potentially run into old stock of one torso'd CAM Starter Sets. As for the add on packs, they only come with a head, wig, outfit, lower arms and lower legs. You MUST use a torso and upper arms/legs from a starter set.

Other than telling you Frankie's head is rooted, I can't answer anymore questions. So hopefully someone else can help you!

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:31:35 AM »

I've never dealt with CAMs but I'll post what I do know. :heart:

Frankie's hair is rooted (all the non-CAM girls have rooted hair) so she shouldn't need a wig. Although you could make her a faux wig if you'd like or put a Liv wig on her.

They're not very hard to re-root, just be sure to heat up her head by boiling or with a hair dryer so you can pop her head off without destroying the device inside her head that holds it to her neck and allows it to properly turn.

You can easily repaint a doll just as you can with a pony.. Sort of. Acetone is fine on their face, but it will "melt" the limbs. I know there's certain types of paint remover that won't, though.

Not all CAM girls are impossible to reroot, you just have to have one with a "soft head" and not a "hard head" if you're going to do so.
Good luck! :hug:

Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

MH dolls are not hard to reroot, it's just like rerooting a pony only with a lot more hair.  Some of the dolls do have a lot of glue in their heads though and you have to be careful when you're pulling it out, and probably heat the head a little bit first to soften the glue.

You can root hair in the CAM heads, but only the older CAM heads are the soft rerootable type, and  you'll have to make your own holes (the new CAM heads have a hard cap on the crown of the head).

You can use the CAM heads on the regular dolls, though the neck mechanism is not the same on the CAM dolls as the regular ones.

As far as customizing the faces, it's easy to wipe and repaint them.  Here's a good tutorial, though there's a number of them out there if you do a search: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anythingbutstill/sets/72157629498446759/

Have fun!

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:57:20 AM »

They're not very hard to re-root, just be sure to heat up her head by boiling or with a hair dryer so you can pop her head off without destroying the device inside her head that holds it to her neck and allows it to properly turn.

You can easily repaint a doll just as you can with a pony.. Sort of. Acetone is fine on their face, but it will "melt" the limbs. I know there's certain types of paint remover that won't, though.

An addendum to Chi's very informative post :)

The new CAM two packs all come with two complete bodies, but the older packs only have one torso. There are quite a few of those still on the shelves since the two torso sets have only arrived at Target so far if i'm not mistaken.

I usually boil my heads/neck then they pop off really easlly. They have a prong inside which works sort of like a fishhook/anchor, that keeps the head in place so that's the tough thing to get off. I usually cut the prongs off this afterwards so their heads pop on and off much easier. Re-rooting is the same as MLP (though I've weirdly only done MH so I am assuming). Cut the hair down to the roots, rip it out (which takes forever) and then poke the new hair in and glue then style.

Theoretically, and I have been debating trying this myself, you could get a doll like Frankie, cut and rip out all her hair, then poke a hole in the back of her head and use her like a CAM. The only worry is the plugs might show if the wig doesn't come down far enough.

Their heads are vinyl like ponies, so you can treat them exactly the same way. Their bodies however are a much harder plastic and like Chi said don't like acetone/goof off/ etc. I've found the easiest way is to take a nail buffing block and just lightly sand any unwanted markings off. Also if they do "melt" the buffing block will take off that weirdness thankfully ^.^  The one I use has like 6 different "sides" of various grit which aside from making my nails look fabulous works great for rough sanding and then a nice smooth finish.

For painting, hand painting with acrylics works great. I am currently experimenting with using Testor's spray enamel and so far it's worked beautifully. These are my first customs ever and despite a few noobie mistakes I'm finding it quite easy and enjoyable. Certainly if you have experience with pony customs it won't be a big leap. Personally I got one of the cheaper dead tired/skull shores dolls to experiment on first to test the waters so to speak :)

This girl did an awesome walkthrough of her process which I found super helpful. http://www.vivcore.com/dolly_daydream/monster_high_modding.html

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
:cheer: Thank you all for your advice! :cheer:

I *may* have given in....

She is so easy to photograph! Love it :D

BUT....the hair has to go! I'm assuming I could brush the hard stuff out of her hair but I would love her with long, black curly locks. And her eyes need to be a different colour...
I'm not sure I could hack re-rooting her though, there are a LOT of hair plugs there! Are wigs an easier option? Are Liv wigs the same size as MH? Will go have a looksee through some of those tutorials now :D

EDIT - also, clothes - geez girl are you not cold?
Will any clothes like Barbie fit MH dolls?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 01:51:16 PM by Pinkamena »

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Bahahahahahaha!!!!!  :rofl:

Congrats on your new girl, Pinkamena! She's beautiful!

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »
:cheer: Thank you all for your advice! :cheer:

I *may* have given in....

She is so easy to photograph! Love it :D

BUT....the hair has to go! I'm assuming I could brush the hard stuff out of her hair but I would love her with long, black curly locks. And her eyes need to be a different colour...
I'm not sure I could hack re-rooting her though, there are a LOT of hair plugs there! Are wigs an easier option? Are Liv wigs the same size as MH? Will go have a looksee through some of those tutorials now :D

EDIT - also, clothes - geez girl are you not cold?
Will any clothes like Barbie fit MH dolls?

You can wash out the gel! A little warm water and some soap will get it out and make it nice and fluffy. As for wigs.. Liv wigs are a bit big on MH heads. As for clothing - http://requiemart.com/blog/2010/11/02/monster-high-part-2/ - has a good guide as to what will fit a MH doll.

Offline Chi

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
You could always wash her hair out with shampoo so it's softer. :P

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:41:58 PM »
Spot on, thankyou :) I will be sorting her hair out tomorrow, seriously you could hammer nails in the wall with that 'do!

So, the slippery slope, this is how it starts, eh? :lmao:

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
I don't like dolls either!! er... I didn't ... MH roped me in. XD
(I totally just bought a Bratz doll for the clothes and I'm IN LOVE with this doll, ugh.)

I don't know if someone already said this, but you can get custom colored torsos on Etsy. :D

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »
So, the pink cat CAM can't be re-rooted at all?   How hard is the head?  How big is the hard spot?

I was hoping to try re-rooting once I get mine.   I think I could melt holes in the head with a heated needle.

------> Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was wondering about this too.   :blush:

PS - I didn't think I would ever like dolls, but now I have three Monster High dolls; four if you count the CAM cat girl I have on the way!

Offline Chi

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
You could probably melt the holes in the head, but be prepared to snap a few needles..So keep several spares around.  :P  I've seen it done, but I remember they said they did break a LOT of needles.

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:10:46 AM »
So, the pink cat CAM can't be re-rooted at all?   How hard is the head?  How big is the hard spot?

I was hoping to try re-rooting once I get mine.   I think I could melt holes in the head with a heated needle.

------> Sorry to hijack your thread, but I was wondering about this too.   :blush:

Hijack away! I wanted to know too :) All helpeful for me as I know nothing about MH :)

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 03:31:22 AM »
You could probably melt the holes in the head, but be prepared to snap a few needles..So keep several spares around.  :P  I've seen it done, but I remember they said they did break a LOT of needles.

That is crazy!  It must not only be hard, but thick plastic.   Does anyone have pics of one of the newer CAM heads?   Mine is on the way, but I'd still like to see.

----------------

Pinkamena - Thanks for allowing the hijack of your thread.  With only a few dolls, I am learning too.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal