collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflocks  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Deflocks
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
I love deflocks, but I'll only do them if they're in a really sorry state. A little flocking loss in normal areas isn't enough for me to deflock. I bought some baity so softs awhile ago to deflock, and one of them had MINT flocking except for a patch in the middle of her face where someone had already started deflocking her. It annoyed me. Hah.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline zora

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:36 PM »
they are much more beautiful than the flocked ponies because they are often yellowed or so dirty that you cant ever clean them :(
Former Nirvana and BigBro Collector

ladybrooklyn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Dredging up an older topic here... mostly because I'm too lazy to start a new one ;) and really there's no reason!

I just finished deflocking SEVERAL G1s... and they deserve to be shown off! (tho I just listed them to ebay... :lol: ) I'm still working on a few for my personal collection too (my childhood Twist... another Magic Star... North Star, who is being particularly stubborn... and soon... a Bangles! eeee!) but here are these ladies!

Magic Star:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Twist:

Ribbon #3 :lol: :

Paradise #3 (one for my personal collection is getting a touch of sun whitening, and the other will be customized into a G1 Gusty Pegasus!):

Cupcake:

Scrumptuous #2 (#1 has a haircut... and she's sitting in the window with Paradise... ;) ):

Sadly... she has a couple of Cancer spots. :(

I just LOVE bright and vibrant Deflocks!!! I have never understood Hasbro's thinking behind the SS ponies... or any flocked toys really... All that they do is get rubbed and dirty.... *shrug*

Anywho... there ya go!

And... :frolic: 1000 posts! :good:

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 07:36:39 PM »
Wow, ladybrooklyn, those are beautiful! ^.^  Very nice work, indeed... mind if I enquire as to your methods? :lookround:  I love/hate deflocking... and I definitely love to hear how other pony people manage it so well. ^.^

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

ladybrooklyn

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
Wow, ladybrooklyn, those are beautiful! ^.^  Very nice work, indeed... mind if I enquire as to your methods? :lookround:  I love/hate deflocking... and I definitely love to hear how other pony people manage it so well. ^.^
Thanks! :good:

Sure... ;) I'm more than happy to share!

I'm a bit unorthadox... :lol: I'll take the 100% pure acetone, and carefully poor it DIRECTLY on the pony's flocking! Let it soak in a bit... and then carefully (tho you can do it not so carefully on areas without symbols, eyes etc...), scrape the flocking off with my fingernails...

As I said... I'm VERY careful around the eyes, symbol and blush... :D

Once the pony is almost completely deflocked... I'll then go back in with the 100% acetone on cotton pads (not cotton balls... these seem to last longer...), on the areas without symbols and SCRUB the remaining flock/glue off. As I get closer and closer to the symbols etc... I'll be more and more careful... getting as much of that pesky glue OFF... :D

Once I've worked it down to the point I only have flocking/glue on the symbols, around the eyes and blush etc... I'll then go in with... I think it's 90% isopropol alcohol, on the cotton pads.

Now the alcohol... you can scrub away with! At least in my experience. It CAN take some of the paint off of symbols etc if you scrub TOO hard... so I try to keep an eye on it as I go. But, I really haven't had a problem with that happening. :D

Oh! I'll also use Q-tips with either acetone or alcohol on them, to get into the pesky areas... between the legs, the eyebrow ridges, and really tight work on the symbols. :D

So far, the flocking fairly FELL off of both Magic Stars I deflocked... as did the flock on two of the three Paradises...

This last Ribbon... deflocked FAR faster than the previous two I did. I don't know if that's because I'm getting better... or if it had something to do with her plastic... :lol:

Both Twists were a pain (Tho my childhood one was less of one... :lol: )

And then there's North Star... :drunk: Granted I haven't really worked on her for a while... but she was being very annoying... which is why I stopped working on hear... :lol:

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »
I would only consider deflocking in very severe cases. After all the ponies were meant to be flocked. That is what the special thing about that set was!
While they are pretty under there flocking -they loose their special quality's once they loose their flocking.
Plus if you like your pony's "original" as possible, there is no way to restore a deflocked pony to their original condition.
Lately deflocking has become such a trend. I think SS's going to be harder and harder to find.

And there is nothing like a gorgeous flocked pony.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:49:54 AM by Ivy »
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »
I agree with you completely, Ivy. SS are my favorite set, and admittedly I have deflocked one (childhood Paradise who was literally black with dirt in some places) but I really don't think I'll deflock another, no matter the condition.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Leopard_Print_Unicorn

• New Wave pony on your Lisa Frank notebook
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Thread:
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
I think that once the glue that holds the flocking to the pony has yellowed, the only way to fix that is to deflock. My deflocks have been those or ponies with a lot of flocking missing already.
Formerly known as ponyRN.

Offline Sanadaookami

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2012, 11:27:36 AM »
I love fuzzy flocked ponies and deflocked beauties. I only deflock when the flocking is beyond saving. Normally I will fill in small thin areas with new flocking. but with major rubs or bad discoloration I tend to deflock.

I do nearly the same thing as  ladybrooklyn- except I just pore a bowl of acetone and set the pony in it. I let her sit for a moment on her side and let the flocking soak up the acetone. when I pull the pony out I just rub with a q-tip starting from the top and the flocking falls right off. I have never damaged the paint and doing this it only takes me about 30min to fully deflock a pony :) The only issue is this doesn't work very well if you tried hot water first- that makes the flocking notably harder to remove.

and for fun a few photos of my flocked and deflocked darlings~

I've been debating what to do with this girl for a while- she was a gift to replace my lost childhood one but while her head is amazing her body is a little thin all over :/ I have yet to see another one with a good body and bad head to swap with though, and I've been looking for two years now... Pretty close to throwing in the towel and deflocking her.

I also just finished a shady and Truly I need to get photos of ;D

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
Lol, I always crigne when I see a deflocked pony. The So Softs have always been my favorite ponies. I love how they look and feel.
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2012, 12:13:16 PM »
I love having both...my favorite is angel because she is the first so soft I came across while hunting at yard sales and I wasnt sure at the time if I wanted to collect so softs so I left her behind and later regretted it so I had to get her from eBay ....and learned since they not to leave a g1 behind...
so since that day I have added all these so softs to my collection and deflocks which I personally deflocked myself and angel deflock is my traveling companion all because she taught me not to leave a pony behind...onto pics..

can you spot the angels

I need to deflock a few still and need a baity crumpty to deflock...I have a fif in a spare tote I need to deflock and I need to deflock a taffy but not sure if the one is thin enough to deflock...and in search of a spare crumpet like mentioned ;)

and here is angel traveling with me..

Here she is at the pony express for without this we wouldnt have pony mail....and we know how we love pony mail..

here is a picture of the building

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2012, 04:23:45 PM »
I love the So Softs and I agree that I would only deflock a So Soft which is no longer very so soft or fluffy :)

Gorgeous pics of both sides everyone - that Fifi in your first pic Ivy is :faint: gorgeous!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Cassie85

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
I've had pretty good luck washing the flocking on mine. One of mine was quite yellow, but I just used some regular hand soap and she is nice and white again. And she is soooooo soft!
3ds 4613-8386-9357
AC Town Galifrey

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2012, 05:12:04 PM »
I have a few that are flocked...2 I believe.  >.>  Need to check.  I want flocked ones and ones that are deflocked.  I think they are so cuddly with the fuzz, but without they are so gorgeous

Offline Dreamchaser

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2012, 05:47:24 PM »
Ooh. I might have to post some of mine later. I have a few deflocks: Lofty, Ribbon, Paradise, and Angel. Can't remember if I have any others.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal