collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Novi stars?  (Read 99991 times)

Cure Marine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Novi stars?
« Reply #345 on: September 03, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »
I bought Una yesterday and the glitter in her legs seems to be uneven. It's all clumped together too so it won't float around like it should. I'm not sure if they'd consider it a defect. Has anyone ever contacted MGA about stuff like this? Will they send a replacement like Hasbro (they replaced my Fluttershy for free) and do you have to send the doll to them first if they do? I didn't notice the flaw until I got home. :c

I'm really excited about this doll line. I love their eyes, especially the little symbols and it's nice to see a doll that has "real" eyelashes. Although I wish the quality was a little better (the hair is so messy) and the bios (and webisode) make me cringe. I'm going to see if I can find Alie tomorrow. I'm tempted to get Mae too. There were tons and tons of Ari at my TRU. I guess she's not as popular as the others.

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
I bought Una yesterday and the glitter in her legs seems to be uneven. It's all clumped together too so it won't float around like it should. I'm not sure if they'd consider it a defect. Has anyone ever contacted MGA about stuff like this? Will they send a replacement like Hasbro (they replaced my Fluttershy for free) and do you have to send the doll to them first if they do? I didn't notice the flaw until I got home. :c

I'm really excited about this doll line. I love their eyes, especially the little symbols and it's nice to see a doll that has "real" eyelashes. Although I wish the quality was a little better (the hair is so messy) and the bios (and webisode) make me cringe. I'm going to see if I can find Alie tomorrow. I'm tempted to get Mae too. There were tons and tons of Ari at my TRU. I guess she's not as popular as the others.

Congrats on finding Una. :) I haven't watched the webisode, though after reading their bios I doubt I will, lol. The dolls are just too cute though, I've certainly been tempted to pick up more.

From what I've seen with Una and experienced with my own, the glitter in the legs has a tendency to pack itself down if left standing and doesn't really float around without a good shake. I thought the first one I looked at may have been flawed because of this but I've looked over dozens of them now and they all seem to be this way. They're just so small and the legs are really narrow so I wouldn't necessarily consider it a defect, maybe just a design choice that didn't pan out the way they intended. ;)

If you turn her upside down a few times (maybe a few dozen if it's been standing for a while, lol)  then the air bubbles in the plastic should help to slowly loosen everything. The legs are also connected and the snow globe part of her goes up to her upper torso, so if the glitter is uneven on one side you can balance it out by tilting her to where you want it to go once everything begins to settle again.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Cure Marine

« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I didn't realize her entire body was filled with water, I didn't have time to really get a good look at her.

It bothers me that all of their goals are about celebrities, kissing boys, pop stardom, or makeovers. It's a shame because doll bios are an excellent idea, they could have created characters with diverse personalities, talents and goals. Kind of weirded me out when Una commented on how "hot" she looked after trying on make-up too, I don't think it's appropriate for the age group they're marketing these dolls to.

I was hoping to use a 40% coupon on Alie and Mae today at Justice (that way I wouldn't feel so guilty about buying both lol), but the dolls there were a total wreck. Crushed boxes everywhere. I managed to find a decent looking Alie at Walmart, but I couldn't find one Mae that didn't have scratches, paint mistakes or wonky eyelashes. I'm not sure how often these stores restock their shelves, but maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Alie is so cute though, I love her hairstyle and I'm glad the lights are on the backpack and not the doll itself. I really love the size of these dolls too, I'm glad they're so small. I don't really like big dolls because they take up too much room. I can't wait to see the next dolls in this line. I hope they sell well.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
I have to agree with the whole 'they look great, but act ick'. I was so sad to hear Una's personality. Do we have to have the bratty snobby girl trope?

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Yeah, I was super sad about their bios and all. Watched the webisode thingie, and it was disappointing too. Oh well, I'm just going to enjoy Una's glittery awesomeness and try to avoid thinking about her age being in light years.  :argh:

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:48 PM »
I thought the webisode was cute but that is because they act exactly how real 11-12 year old girls act. I think almost all girls go through that stage, even I did at one time but replace Beiber with BSB. (they were much more talented so shut up) I outgrew that stage and turned out fine. I just don't know what happened to letting kids be kids (or teens be teens in this case) there is plenty of time in life to be serious and responsible and all that.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2012, 02:16:45 AM »
Novi Stars are in the catalogues here. $23 introductory price, after that they go to around $30. I forget which catalogue it was, sorry!

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2012, 05:19:23 PM »
do we have any idea if MGA is going to make more of them? (the dolls I mean)
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 05, 2012, 05:26:47 PM »
I thought the webisode was cute but that is because they act exactly how real 11-12 year old girls act. I think almost all girls go through that stage, even I did at one time but replace Beiber with BSB. (they were much more talented so shut up) I outgrew that stage and turned out fine. I just don't know what happened to letting kids be kids (or teens be teens in this case) there is plenty of time in life to be serious and responsible and all that.

I'm okay with the stuff they talk about. Though it'd be nice to hear a bit more about other interests they have aside from boys and shopping. And I still don't get why they have to include the snobbish character. DX

Cure Marine

« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2012, 07:14:17 PM »
I don't have a problem with the cartoon being childish and silly (I thought some parts were cute), it's that this is basically all girls ever get in terms of what is marketed to them. The characters all have the same "acceptably feminine" interests and goals (boys, shopping, fashion, make-up, etc) and not much personality beyond that. I think these companies need to put more effort into creating diverse female characters. They need more people like Lauren Faust working on them who care about what is marketed to girls and how it affects them.

I went to three more stores today and I couldn't find a decent Mae in any of them yet again. So disappointing. All I found were dozens of Aris and one or two Alies. I feel like poor Ari is becoming the next Skull Shores/Roller Maze Ghoulia lol. I wonder why she isn't as popular. Maybe it's because her scented feature isn't as interesting as the others (and half the time she doesn't smell like anything).

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2012, 07:35:48 PM »
Target. Theyre at Target in Australia for $23, there really cute! Didnt buy one coudlnt decide which one i liked best!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline CasseminaPie

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Cassemina's Corner
« Reply #356 on: September 06, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
Target. Theyre at Target in Australia for $23, there really cute! Didnt buy one coudlnt decide which one i liked best!

They were tagged $29 at my Target... if I had known they were on sale I would have bought them all :cry:
Come visit my blog!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #357 on: September 06, 2012, 12:28:47 AM »
I feel like poor Ari is becoming the next Skull Shores/Roller Maze Ghoulia lol. I wonder why she isn't as popular. Maybe it's because her scented feature isn't as interesting as the others (and half the time she doesn't smell like anything).

I bet you anything its the glitter. An Ari doll is NOT making it into my home, ever. Glitter is the biggest PITA ever. Its nearly impossible to clean up and it gets EVERYWHERE. As a collector, I don't need my other dolls messed up because of stray glitter. As a parent, I would never ever ever buy my child a toy covered in loose glitter. I don't care how badly they wanted it or how much they begged or anything. No loose glitter.

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 06, 2012, 05:44:47 AM »
Glitter's the least of my concerns about kid messes. I love glitter, but I've seen Ari de-glittered on Flickr, and I'm so tempted to do that to mine.
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 06, 2012, 06:02:33 AM »
Hrm, I don't seem to be having an issue with Ari's glitter, but I don't move her much at all. She does pop off her stand all the time though, but still no rouge glitter! :D But urg, I can see the issue. I get more glitter from the GR Frankie's shoes than I do from Ari.

I'm surprised she's not selling, she's one of my favorites. Too cute looking, and her eyes POP with those colors!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal