collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Novi stars?  (Read 100253 times)

Folly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Novi stars?
« Reply #195 on: August 03, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
Augh, is anyone other than me deadset on Mae??  It's gonna be ages before I see any good owner pics of her!! XD

Offline JigglesTheCat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 04, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
They had all of them at Target today, and all the fashion packs -  They are SOO cute in person! I regret saying they creep me out <3
I took a break from the Arena from a couple months due to school and other things in my life. But I'm back now!

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #197 on: August 04, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
I saw one at TRU today, the purple roboty one. Their small size is actually quite cute in person, but I still think they're overpriced. I was bummed I didn't get to see Una in person though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 04, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »
I found my Una today!!  :frolic: My Target seems to have restocked like many others. They had all the dolls, all the fashion packs and all the secret pet pods. Even though I knew in theory how little she was, I was still shocked in store. XD But she's so adorable that I don't mind; I even bought the Galactic Gown for her, haha. I love my sparkly little dear. I hope I can resist picking up her friends, though. >.>; So expensive for so tiny! (Sounds like another adorable MGA product I love, coughLalaloopsycough.)

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
I adore my Una Verse. She's more of a desk mascot for me. I think that just because a lot of us got spoiled with jointed dolls that because they weren't jointed brushed these cuties off.

edit: after all Barbie and Blythes weren't all that posable in the beginning. They could only sit or stand.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:49:19 PM by CupeCakeWishes »
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2012, 07:54:00 PM »
I adore my Una Verse. She's more of a desk mascot for me. I think that just because a lot of us got spoiled with jointed dolls that because they weren't jointed brushed these cuties off.

edit: after all Barbie and Blythes weren't all that posable in the beginning. They could only sit or stand.

Have Blythe bodies actually improved? I've never seen one with more than the most basic articulation that hasn't been rebodied. I have one, and her body is a joke. She cost $500, but NEEDS to be rebodied to be able to do basically anything.

And also Barbies and Blythes were first made a LONG time ago. Things have changed. Blythes are also no longer play dolls, and are now expensive collector dolls.

Offline ApertureScience

• Forever Ouchy Roids
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »
I got my first one last night.  Alie Lectric I think it was.  Super cute!

Rococo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2012, 08:08:52 PM »
I caved and got Alie Lectric tonight. Haven't opened her up yet and I suspect I won't be getting any more of them due to their price but d'awww, she's a cutie with her long, long lashes and Gaga-wannabe hairbow-tie. She'll just be my little desktop mascot as well.

(I also caved and purchased Jade J'adore's fashion pack even though I said I wouldn't... time to start selling some Pullips to make up for my weak will lol.)

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 05, 2012, 01:20:29 AM »
Taxel -

I've seen a lot of Blythe customs and most have the original body. I have seen some using Obitsu bodies as they are very posable. If these dolls were to gain as much popularity as Brats, Barbie and MH dolls, we could see a lot more interesting ideas.

It's just sad to read that some are passing these dolls up because they aren't as posable as MH and such. To each their own, I respect.

I love these dolls because they resemble the artwork seen in High Fructose Magazine, Junko Mizuno's manga style ( I have the manga Cinderella and love the art work ).

Avvie By Watercolors

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
Taxel -

I've seen a lot of Blythe customs and most have the original body. I have seen some using Obitsu bodies as they are very posable. If these dolls were to gain as much popularity as Brats, Barbie and MH dolls, we could see a lot more interesting ideas.

I don't know if there are multiple types of stock bodies, but the one I have is awful. Its got your basic Barbie posing abilities (no wrist, knee, or ankle joints), so it really can't do much. Good for people that like that, but I prefer at least MH level articulation. An Obitsu body is NOT a stock Blythe body, its a separate body you have to buy and them put your Blythe head on. Not the same.

They're not marketed to children, unless things have changed. Its not fair to compare them to Bratz, MH, etc and say Blythe should be more popular with kids in order to have joints. Blythes are expensive. >.<

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2012, 06:57:17 AM »
Taxel, Please read my posts again.

Edit: I can see where the miscommunication could have been made... when I said "these dolls" I was referring to Novistars, not Blythes.

I never said Obitsu were stock bodies for Blythe. People customize Blythes to have obitsu bodies to improve articulation. Just like Pullips being put on obitsu bodies because they are sturdier than default Pullip bodies.

LPS currently has mini Blythes with their pets and they are adorable but kinda creepy, maybe it's the size/scale. They are cute in that "blank stare" kinda way. They are marketed as a child's toy. Blythe were rejected by American children and picked up by the Japanese in popularity, which is why Blythe's are not available in the US today. A toy is a toy, no price tag changes the nature of a toy. People collect, keep mint in box for display and even actually play with their Blythe. I have friends who customize Blythes, and you see it all the time on Flickr.

"say Blythe should be more popular with kids in order to have joints."
No. I wish you would stop twisting what I clearly typed, since you've even went as far as to quote me in your post.

I was referring to how the first thing we notice is joints and articulation. To basically brush off a doll that does not have the posability of modern line dolls is sad and in my opinion pretty superficial. BUT I respect everyone in their collecting/play styles. I buy toys I like.

If NoviStar dolls became AS POPULAR as MH and similar multi-jointed dolls, then maybe they will start a line with more joints like those seen in modern Barbie and MH. I've been into dolls long enough to know that if it doesn't sell, then it gets dumped for the latest/newest hot seller.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:02:08 AM by CupeCakeWishes »
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #206 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:10 AM »
There is a person on Flickr that has taken her Novi Stars doll's heads and put them on MH bodies. The outcome is actually cute, but I prefer their little bodies. The articulation in the shoulder and their super mobile heads are enough to give them countless expressions. The only thing I wish is that they could sit down, but that makes Alie and Una's specialties almost impossible. A lot of the articulation that everone was wanting to see would be difficult to do well in these little bodies, without losing some of the gimmick. Plus, I kind of like that there aren't joints staring at me from every angle.

Now for some more spam?

Alie - Don't you see I love you? by reidelsol, on Flickr

Alie - The green glow by reidelsol, on Flickr

The lights for Alie come from her backpack, which is removable so that she can wear some of the fashions. Her glitter is in the plastic, but still has a texture to it.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
I don't totally hate the fact that they're not very articulated. I love La Dee Das and they're not. At least these guys have cute poses that avoid that stick straight look.
I kinda want these guys, but their faces turn me off a bit. The funky space where there nose and mouth are. Who knows though.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
CupeCakeWishes - I hope you realize that LPS Blythes and 'real' mini Blythes are very different. I have one 'real' one and a handful of LPS. The LPS ones are much lower quality, and its very very obvious. My LPS Blythes don't compare to my 'real' mini. The 'real' minis are far less creepy-blank-stare dolls and are far more endearing, however they also have a bigger price tag, ranging from a bit to a lot more (going by eBay prices, as these days I don't know where else one buys Blythes since the shop I used shut down).

Normal Blythes are NOT marketed to children, unless something has drastically changed since I got mine and was more into them. Just because something is a doll does not make it a toy for kids. No one in their right mind would buy an expensive BJD for an eight year old just because its a doll and "A toy is a toy, no price tag changes the nature of a toy". I know about the history of Blythe, and how they STARTED out as toys but didn't do well. I know all about how people photograph and customize them (like I said, I own a real Blythe). I have never seen real Blythes called a children's toy, only a doll line for collectors.

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »
rayedelsol, your pics are AMAZING!! I don't know if I'm sold on the dolls given their small size... but Una's Galactic Gown - WOW. I wonder if it would fit Monster High...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal