collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Theater  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Moss

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Let it go~
    • View Profile
Theater
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:25:08 PM »
So who else in the Arena loves Broadway? I'm lucky enough to live pretty close to NYC, so I get to see a show every now and again. I've seen:
-Wicked- My first Broadway show, and I loved it! Saw it with the original cast, sans Kristen Chennowith (spelling?) and it was fantastic. I saw it again last month and it was still just as good.
-Beauty and the Beast- school field trip, don't remember much, but it was good!
-The Little Mermaid- I absolutely loved the staging of this! The underwater scenes were cleverly done, and Sierra Bogges is one of my faovirte actresses!
-Anything Goes- I actually liked this one a lot! Catchy music, and a funny story, plus a great cast.

I'm dying to see Phantom of the Opera at some point, becuase I love the story so much.

So talk about anything Broadway! What you've seen, what you want to see, anything. Oh, and feel free to discuss other productions (like touring productions, West End, and everything in between!)
Click here for MLP coupons --->
link
avatar from generalzoi's pony creator
formerly known as Mosspath!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
Re: Theater
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:32:33 PM »
I've been fortunate to see productions both on Broadway and the West End.  I will never forget Phantom, of course.  I've also seen Cats, Grease, Rent, Wicked, Bye Bye Birdie, Avenue Q, and most recently Rock of Ages.  I love musical theatre.  :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I've never been to Broadway, but I've seen a few musicals in Toronto (Beauty and the Beast, Joseph and the Amazing Technicoloured Dream Coat) :)
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:32:48 AM »
I'm off to the theatre tonight.. admittedly not voluntarily, as I dislike West Side Story, but my mother's wanted to see it for a long while. However, I am quite the theatre geek at times. :]

I saw 'We Will Rock You' at London's West End when I was around 12.. Have seen countless other shows at various theatres over the years. I rather like Manchester Palace theatre.

I'd love to see Cats live. The best productions I've seen so far were of 'An Inspector Calls' (fantastic play) and 'South Pacific'.

Also, acting in theatres is the most wonderful feeling.. so much better than at low key venues like halls. Magic.
Fight like a girl..

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:27 AM »
i've been fortunate enough to see les mis, phantom, Jesus Christ superstar, and wicked.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:11:33 AM »
I forgot Les Mis!  I saw it in Houston, though, not on Broadway - however, most of the cast was at one time the Broadway or West End cast.  Beautiful production.

Art commissions!

kaninchen

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »
i love les mis so very much. it's so relevant to my historical interests! that said, i'm leery of this big hollywood version coming out.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:24:16 AM »
UGH.  I know what you mean.  Big Hollywood studios mess up everything.  The Rock of Ages movie coming out looks completely unfaithful to the plot and spirit/tone of the musical.  I won't be seeing it, and I'm a big fan of the play.

Who knows, though.  I was pretty happy with the film adaptation of Chicago.  It could be okay or it could be total crap.  I think with such a distinguished property as Les Mis, they'd be extra sensitive to it's integrity.

Art commissions!

kaninchen

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 06:34:21 AM »
one of things i did truly enjoy about the teaser trailer was "i dreamed a dream." it's sung over various trailer footage. but it's different. this is such a beautiful song, a powerful song, and i've heard it belted out beautifully. but this version... it's in the words. fantine sounds truly broken and truly crying. i found it deeply moving in a way the big belts of broadway couldn't do to me. it's hurt and pained and simply perfect for the words of the song.

the rest of the film may very well be rubbish. but that version of "i dreamed a dream" was weirdly perfect. to me anyway.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »
Now I have GOT to find this trailer.  I love that song.

Edit: Watched it.  Got chills.  Oh my god.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:26:49 AM by Eviecorn »

Art commissions!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:26:58 AM »
I havent been to anything either, though I think I saw something when I was younger, and I know we saw Disney on ice :)

But I was actually almost *in* Joseph and the technicolour dreamcoat :) Part of the semi finals.  Our school was..7th I think? Out of all the schools in Ontario. And they took the top 3 :) Thats one experience ill never forget

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:08:12 AM »
Never been, but I think it would be really neat!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 02:04:56 PM »
I've seen a few Broadway plays when I lived up in Maryland and could go to NYC every now and again.  I saw The Lion King, Wicked, Aida, Thoroughly Modern Millie (with Sutton Foster and Delta Burke!), and Steel Magnolias (again with Delta Burke, lol).  I actually got to meet Delta after a showing of TMM, which was so awesome, considering I was a huuuuge Designing Women fan back then.  My absolute favourite has to have been TLK though...it was just SO well-done and so creative!  You would think it would be difficult to take The Lion King and put it on stage, and have it be as good as the movie.  But they really pulled it off! 
I've seen more plays through Dallas Summer Theatre, though.  Spamalot was one of my favourites!  It's just hilarious.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
WAY back in the day (my 5th grade field trip!) I went and saw Phantom of the Opera at the Pantages Theater in Toronto, Canada. It was just fantastic.

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »
Back when I lived in Upstate NY, we took a trip to NYC and saw Wicked and Young Frankenstein on Broadway. I've seen some other touring plays, two productions of Wicked (what can I say, I love it), and Spamalot, which is probably my favourite musical ever. XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal