collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Queen Chrysalis has been sold!  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
First off, I want to say, holy cow what an absolutely beautiful custom! You did an amazing job with it and the time and effort you put in to it really shows I think.

As for the issues about how much to sell her for, I can understand wanting to sell her for $300, but I think that cutting that price in half would work better. A lower starting price wont scare as many people away, so you may actually end up selling it for a higher price. Also, if the price is driven up by bidders, even if people send you negative comments, it is easier to brush them off because at that point it is out of your control. The people wanting to buy her are setting the price. The painful thing about selling anything is having to step away and accept that you can't charge too much for the time that you put in to an item. The buyers don't see that; they just see the finished product.

I think too that a lot of the negative comments you've gotten about your pricing you should try to ignore (I know how hard that can be). With the popularity of FiM I think pony stuff on ebay has attracted a LOT of trolls, and a ton of people who just want every FiM item out there but who want it for nothing. I've seen a lot of artists, specifically the plush creators, get flooded with negative comments over pricing.

I wouldn't let yourself get too worked up over it; after all, this is the internet, and not everyone can play nice. You get some selfish and mean people, but at the end of the day, this is your work. No one should have the right to try and dictate what you sell it for, just so they have a better chance of buying it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Dragon620026

• Trade Count: (0)
First off, I want to say, holy cow what an absolutely beautiful custom! You did an amazing job with it and the time and effort you put in to it really shows I think.

As for the issues about how much to sell her for, I can understand wanting to sell her for $300, but I think that cutting that price in half would work better. A lower starting price wont scare as many people away, so you may actually end up selling it for a higher price. Also, if the price is driven up by bidders, even if people send you negative comments, it is easier to brush them off because at that point it is out of your control. The people wanting to buy her are setting the price. The painful thing about selling anything is having to step away and accept that you can't charge too much for the time that you put in to an item. The buyers don't see that; they just see the finished product.

I think too that a lot of the negative comments you've gotten about your pricing you should try to ignore (I know how hard that can be). With the popularity of FiM I think pony stuff on ebay has attracted a LOT of trolls, and a ton of people who just want every FiM item out there but who want it for nothing. I've seen a lot of artists, specifically the plush creators, get flooded with negative comments over pricing.

I wouldn't let yourself get too worked up over it; after all, this is the internet, and not everyone can play nice. You get some selfish and mean people, but at the end of the day, this is your work. No one should have the right to try and dictate what you sell it for, just so they have a better chance of buying it.

Thank you. I'm actually not going to do ebay this time. I'll try etsy and see what happens. I'm a little discouraged about the unpredictability of bidders. I rather just set a price and forget about it until I get a message telling me that it sold or that I need to repost. :/

I actually haven't gotten any negative comments in regards to the $300 asking price I considered. In fact people were telling me that I was underselling myself so it was a total curve ball.

But ya, I won't get too worked about it. I think dedicating a day to worrying about what people may or may not think or say is more than enough.

Offline ZarineBashire

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponies and Crafts
With anything the price is what people are willing to pay for it, not what the creator thinks it is worth. If people have the money and are willing to pay a premium they will.

That being said, even top customziers like Woosie, Darkhorse, Lovelauraland, and ManaMaiden don't often sell customs for over $300. Sometimes they do, but generally it seems to be in the $100 to $200 range. I don't think anyone here would gainsay those prices because of the level of work they do and the demand by the consumer.

That's not to say the quality of your current custom is any less than these artists, but this market still depends more on what the consumer is willing to buy.

I don't think $50 would be unreasonable for your latest creation, but I still think it might be hard to sell it for that right now. RevRuby recently made a gorgeous custom that she tried to sell for that price (totally worth the price I feel), but no one actually bought it. In the end she made more money doing a raffle as people generally have 5-10 dollars to spend as opposed to dropping $50 on a custom.

Personally, it might be worth trying to do a raffle as you will probably get more than selling it outright.

Dragon620026

With anything the price is what people are willing to pay for it, not what the creator thinks it is worth. If people have the money and are willing to pay a premium they will.

That being said, even top customziers like Woosie, Darkhorse, Lovelauraland, and ManaMaiden don't often sell customs for over $300. Sometimes they do, but generally it seems to be in the $100 to $200 range. I don't think anyone here would gainsay those prices because of the level of work they do and the demand by the consumer.

That's not to say the quality of your current custom is any less than these artists, but this market still depends more on what the consumer is willing to buy.

I don't think $50 would be unreasonable for your latest creation, but I still think it might be hard to sell it for that right now. RevRuby recently made a gorgeous custom that she tried to sell for that price (totally worth the price I feel), but no one actually bought it. In the end she made more money doing a raffle as people generally have 5-10 dollars to spend as opposed to dropping $50 on a custom.

Personally, it might be worth trying to do a raffle as you will probably get more than selling it outright.

I have thought about that at some point during the day and I do believe that there is truth to what you say.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
I would totally buy tickets if it was raffled off :3 even though I'm making my own. She looks gorgeous.

Dragon620026

ooo a raffle would be nice. I'm not really sure I know how to host one. I'm also not so sure if I'd want to do it for this pony. However I'd love to do it in the future! :D

Offline Starie

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
I loveeee your custom it is fantastic! Might I also recommend that you post her in the main Fim group on DA called MLP FiM, I think that would generate a lot of interest and you might find yourself a buyer ^^

Offline lovelauraland

• Trade Count: (+127)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lovelauraland.com
wow, your work is stunning! I would have asked double that amount for her! great job- she looks factory made! x

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
I think it's more that- people want it. but they want it cheap like say... $10, but the price being so high they get their frilly panties in a knot and boo hoo to you about it. as for ebay and paypal fees? That's their problem too as well as yours, when you sell something you need to add that cost to the item because LULZ why put yourself out? Every physical retail store's items are prices like that, otherwise how would they pay employee's/rent/insurance/whatever and still be in business? By incorporating the costs into their products.

Quality customs like yours for for a unique character don't come by often, the couldn't buy an official hasbro chysallis like yours. Hasbro just couldn't produce something like that.

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
I suppose I am one of those people that could not justify spending that much on one custom.  I just don't have the funds. So I am not your target buyer lol. 

I know you feel like you have made something really special and I agree that you should not sell for an amount that will make you unhappy. As the artist it is your right to set whatever price you wish and if people dont like it or cant afford it they are free to not buy it.

But be aware there is a relatively small group of people willing and able to drop that much on a custom, even well crafted or by famous artists.  I don't know if eBay is the best place to find those folks. Plus fees and if you sell international the shipping and customs are huge when you insure/track. And you would want to.

That's another thing that I've been hearing a lot too. And I know what you mean by insurance fees and whatnot. But even then sometimes those things aren't even worth it. The post office recently damage a pony, Princess Celestia. She was insured and we filed a claim. The claim was approved and the money was sent to the buyer. The post office took the pony and destroyed it, no if, ands or buts about it.

That's terrible! All that work gone.  I would much rather she find a home than something like this happen to her.  It's hurts my heart to think of them just discarding a pony like that.
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Dragon620026

I loveeee your custom it is fantastic! Might I also recommend that you post her in the main Fim group on DA called MLP FiM, I think that would generate a lot of interest and you might find yourself a buyer ^^

Thank you! I actually submitted her into that group and they accepted her :D

Post Merge: June 08, 2012, 05:18:20 PM

wow, your work is stunning! I would have asked double that amount for her! great job- she looks factory made! x

wow! That honestly means a lot to me. Especially because you make AMAZINGLY beautiful customs! They are just so jaw-droppingly wow!! I love them all! I've also been wondering what someone with your skill level would charge for her. So you saying that really means a lot. Not to mention having someone of your skill level compliment my work is an honor. Thank you so very, very much! :D *hugs to death*

Post Merge: June 08, 2012, 05:25:52 PM

I think it's more that- people want it. but they want it cheap like say... $10, but the price being so high they get their frilly panties in a knot and boo hoo to you about it. as for ebay and paypal fees? That's their problem too as well as yours, when you sell something you need to add that cost to the item because LULZ why put yourself out? Every physical retail store's items are prices like that, otherwise how would they pay employee's/rent/insurance/whatever and still be in business? By incorporating the costs into their products.

Quality customs like yours for for a unique character don't come by often, the couldn't buy an official hasbro chysallis like yours. Hasbro just couldn't produce something like that.

Ya, that's what my boyfriend has been saying. That if they want something for cheap then try to buy a Queen Chrysalis at target. Or they can try making their own. As for ebay fees, I never really thought about charging people for it. Sometimes I'm just way too nice and like Fluttershy, I'm just too nice at times. :/ I always thought that fees where my problem and that if I charged extra to cover those fees people would just be put off by me and not by my customs. Of course this was when I first started making customs years and years ago and to be honest I've never really re-visited the idea.

And ya, I don't think that hasbro would honestly be able to create a decent Chrysalis. Lol, they already have so many issues with someone so simple as Celestia. So I do agree with you there too.

Post Merge: June 08, 2012, 05:47:47 PM

I suppose I am one of those people that could not justify spending that much on one custom.  I just don't have the funds. So I am not your target buyer lol. 

I know you feel like you have made something really special and I agree that you should not sell for an amount that will make you unhappy. As the artist it is your right to set whatever price you wish and if people dont like it or cant afford it they are free to not buy it.

But be aware there is a relatively small group of people willing and able to drop that much on a custom, even well crafted or by famous artists.  I don't know if eBay is the best place to find those folks. Plus fees and if you sell international the shipping and customs are huge when you insure/track. And you would want to.

That's another thing that I've been hearing a lot too. And I know what you mean by insurance fees and whatnot. But even then sometimes those things aren't even worth it. The post office recently damage a pony, Princess Celestia. She was insured and we filed a claim. The claim was approved and the money was sent to the buyer. The post office took the pony and destroyed it, no if, ands or buts about it.

That's terrible! All that work gone.  I would much rather she find a home than something like this happen to her.  It's hurts my heart to think of them just discarding a pony like that.

Oh yes, it's terrible indeed! It hurts me on a personal level that that is where my custom ended up. It hurts because I put a lot of time, effort and detail into them with the intention of making someone happy and proud to own it. The buyer was a pretty awesome person and we've both pretty much been forced to accept that it happened. I just wish that the post office would have made us aware of this ultimatum before starting the insurance claim. I'm more than positive that the buyer would have rather worked something out with me to get her fixed. Anyways any type of warning before submitting the claim would have been nice. Anyways, from here on out any expensive or fragile customs will be sent via UPS or Fedex. I just can't trust the post office even if something is insured and marked as fragile.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:47:47 PM by Dragon620026 »

Dragon620026

Re: Queen Chrysalis has been sold!
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 05:48:35 PM »
Just bumping this because I added an edit to the beginning :D

Offline Cucco

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • poniponiponi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
congrats on selling her! She was a beauty.
The G1 color-change hair set is my grail. Currently own: Mainsail, Seaflower, Shoreline

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2012, 06:00:23 PM »
Congrats on selling her!!! I am so happy for you! You got the $500 you had asked for, right? I hope so! I had her all queued up to post to my Tumblr tonight with a three paragraph spiel about how special she was and why people should buy her. I had to go edit that all out lol! Im so thrilled for you! Knowing that she sold for that much gives me hope that if mine turns out nice I might earn enough from her to buy my airbrush and air compressor!

Dragon620026

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 06:49:14 PM »
congrats on selling her! She was a beauty.

Thank you!!!

Congrats on selling her!!! I am so happy for you! You got the $500 you had asked for, right? I hope so! I had her all queued up to post to my Tumblr tonight with a three paragraph spiel about how special she was and why people should buy her. I had to go edit that all out lol! Im so thrilled for you! Knowing that she sold for that much gives me hope that if mine turns out nice I might earn enough from her to buy my airbrush and air compressor!

Thanks! Yes, I did get $500 for her ^-^ Thank you so much for having her queued up on your Tumblr! It was very kind of you. I look forward to seeing yours! Just take you time with her and be as patient as you can be! I'm sure she'll look amazing!! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal