collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to use for "risers" for pony display shelf  (Read 3160 times)

rainbowstars

• Trade Count: (0)
What to use for "risers" for pony display shelf
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
Hi all!  I'm rapidly running out of room on the (new) shelf my stepdad made for the pony collection.  I have another large shelf that is nothing fancy, but could hold a fair amount of ponies.  I'm wondering what you all do for the ones in the back row.  Someone must know something about this around here :p  I've seen clear plastic blocks that some have used.  where do I get those?  Are there any other affordable ideas? 

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
Re: What to use for "risers" for pony display shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:35:03 PM »
Right now what I'm doing is using old DVD cases to boost up my G1s and a couple of VHS boxes for my G4s.. it's not great, but it works! I really should find a way to wrap them so it looks very uniform, haha.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:37:53 PM »
There's a tutorial, maybe on the old Arena?, for making risers out of foam boards. It looks very easy, and its what I plan to do.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:59 PM »
Target has extendable risers in the kitchen section.  That's what we are using in addition to a CD sized bookcase.
:socks:   :frog:

rainbowstars

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Thanks Taxel, I'll check it out!

Icicle- funny, said shelf is covered in VHS tapes right now, and I've been thinking of using those and covering them with fabric or something so you can't tell what they are :p

Offline Icicle

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:28 PM »
Target has extendable risers in the kitchen section.  That's what we are using in addition to a CD sized bookcase.
What do those extendable risers look like...? o_o; Because if my fiance and I can get out to Target this month that would be something worth looking into... (He also needs risers for some of his stuff).

@rainbowstars - Haha. Yeah that's probably what I should do when I have a chance.. it looks so tacky on my shelves, aaa.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
I have a trio of perfectly sized cardboard boxes that sit behind one row of ponies on a shelf in my pony bookcase.  I should probably find some nicer risers!

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
Ohmigosh, I've cut up so many shoe boxes and covered them in felt for risers XD Cheap, inconsistently sized, but they work for now until I can afford prettier ones <3

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:48 PM »
White, with a grey non-skid top.  About as wide as say, a large soup can.  Two interlocking pieces.  If I remember correctly, in the kitchen storage area.  Does that make sense?  Not boxed, but the two layers are fastened together.   Three tiers altogether.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
I have used small boxes and even pieces of cardboard taped together (don't worry - arrange the ponies well and you won't see it). I have also used styrofoam, which I find works great, and it's lightweight (I used to have my collection in small wall cubbies stacked up, so I felt better about using light things). But if you ARE concerned about ugly risers showing, it's easy enough to wrap them in pretty paper or fabric.

The best part about making your own out of cheap materials is that you can cut things to the perfect size, if that's an issue for you.

Anyway, if you want something a little nicer, try spice racks, or even building blocks. Another thing I'm currently using is these acrylic  tops to little display boxes (the type of thing used for displaying model cars and such). I found them cheap at a thrift store though - new they'd probably be a little pricy. I also sometimes find plastic baseball display box thingies that I use as risers, though they wouldn't be that efficient for bigger shelving units.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline relcelestia

• Trade Count: (+107)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Argie Obsessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
White, with a grey non-skid top.  About as wide as say, a large soup can.  Two interlocking pieces.  If I remember correctly, in the kitchen storage area.  Does that make sense?  Not boxed, but the two layers are fastened together.   Three tiers altogether.
are the called "risers"? im thinking maybe i could find them online :)
just not sure waht to google
HEY [you]! Sell me your Argies! :dribble: Wishlist

Click HERE to see my 125 Argies!

Offline Icicle

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 08:09:14 PM »
Ohhh, thank you! Those sound like they'd work nicely for me and my fiance.

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »
Personally I don't like these, they're so low that all the ponies kind of get mashed together  :huh:  They were also like $10 apeice when I saw them and I'd need so many.

I just made mine out of some display board. I cut one piece to fit the shelf, scored it, and rolled it into  a block shape if that makes sense? then taped the seam. They work awesome, and I can custom size them.

kaninchen

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:41:29 PM »
i've used a piece of spare wood painted or stained to match the shelf. like 2x4 or somesuch.

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:50 PM »
I'm using some clear display boxes that were used orginally for displaying beanie babies.  I bought a bunch of them just to get the boxes a couple of years ago for really cheap just to get the display boxes.  I lay them flat and I can put small things in there if I want to as well. :)

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal