collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Are you a MOC/MIB/etc collector?

Yes, I love to keep them pristine for all time.
49 (12.3%)
Yes, but maybe just a few special ones.
123 (30.8%)
I would have a hard time keeping them that way, so I'd pass.
54 (13.5%)
I do collect them but I take them out of the package. *ducks fakies*
28 (7%)
I would *only* let them out if the package is in shambles or suchlike.
38 (9.5%)
No way! Let them run wild and free.
107 (26.8%)

Total Members Voted: 307

Author Topic: Do you like keeping/collecting ponies in their original package?  (Read 10752 times)

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like keeping/collecting ponies in their original package?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
Special or HTF ponies like fair ponies or g1s and G2s would stay in their boxes the rest (including g3s) are quickly released.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:14 PM »
I open all of my G3s-G4s.  But if I found some G1s-G2s still in their boxes, I would leave them alone, unless their box was falling apart to the point where it wouldn't matter if they were deboxed or not.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Stuntmang

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 12:58:08 PM »
Bugger to keeping em boxed. Ponies look better when you can properly position them instead of having to position based on large, bulky cardboard or bubble packaging which keeps them from standing upright.

Starlie

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
I take them out regardless of generation. It's my pony, after all. C:

Moonracer

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 01:16:14 PM »
When it comes to me, I don't think I'll ever feel the need to buy a MISB, MIB or MOC Pony. First off, they're too expensive for me: I'm talking about the vintage ponies here.

Second of all, where I currently live, I don't have much space in order to properly display them. I've seen some of the collectors buy specialized hooks, racks for the carded ponies and then hang them on a wall... I personally wouldn't do that, and I'm not sure I'd even do that if I did have enough space.

Thirdly, like some of the other collectors out there I think, I like to keep my ponies loose and free. Sure they all look neat, dandy in their original packaging, they are not prone to any potential "dangers" that might damage their appearance, and they're basically worth a lot more cash than a loose pony. But, the thing is, that I like to touch my ponies. I like to hold them, groom their manes, tails and the like. I like to pose them and take photos of them, in all the different settings.

And with a pony that's sealed tight in it's packaging I can't really do anything, only admire it like a painting. And for me that's really boring. Besides, I'd be too tempting for me: eventually I'd end up opening the package anyway. :D XD

So that's my opinion on things.

Itajn

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
I probably won't debox G1, but I don't think I would ever buy MOC G1 pony.
I debox all G4s - I like to style their hair, they display better without boxes, and take significantly less space.
My ponies should be free from plastic prison!  :lol:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Bugger to keeping em boxed. Ponies look better when you can properly position them instead of having to position based on large, bulky cardboard or bubble packaging which keeps them from standing upright.
This became increasingly true for me with the G4s. Granted the packaging was fairly decent as far as pony visibility and was easy enough to put on a shelf, but it takes up so much dang room! I like the idea of the bubbles on cards for G1s, but how can you display those well if you don't have a ton of space? I'm pretty much out of room for the art/exclusive G3s and I don't even own half of them. But I don't want to debox them... it's hard!  I'm happy with my loose ponies, though. Way more fun :D

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
You know, I was considering asking something like this a while back. A lot of collectors seem to really value ponies a lot more if they're kept in their original packaging. Perhaps I can not really say anything, as I've never bought a new pony or gotten one in its packaging... So, I'm not sure how I would really handle it if I got a pony in her packaging!

I will say this, though. Personally, I think that ponies look much better out, where they can be seen and touched and styled. Whenever I see a collection packed with MIB ponies... It makes me just a bit sad. All I can think is that that collector keeps their herd looking like a store shelf so that in a few years, when they run out of love for their ponies, they can make a profit. I know that's not necessarily the case, of course.

Anyway, the packaging has no value to me. It is the beauty of the pony that I want and that I collect, not the plastic she came in.

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 01:27:20 PM »
I just opened up several G3's the other day, hehe. I'm about 50/50 on this one. I like keeping them in the box to keep them nice and clean (and dust free!) And I like the packaging usually. But I also like to take them out and style their hair :) Sometimes I'll buy two of one pony so I can keep one in the package and take one out XD I've taken the majority of my G4's out and styled their hair. If I got a MIB/MOC G1 I would probably keep it in the box unless the plastic was yellowed or the box was in really bad condition.
My Wish List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
I only have two in my collection, MOC Raincurl and the orange Pop Art G3. Both are staying in their packages unless something terrible happens to them.

That said, I don't actively collect MOC/MIB. I don't have the space and I prefer loose ponies :) It's hard trying to find loose G2s. All the ones I'm after are always MIB D: Drives me crazy.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
All of my ponies are loose. I have close to 100 ponies, mostly G4 and G1, but I do have some of all gens, and not one of them is still in the package. Of course, most were already loose when I got them and any G4s I buy in the store, I open. I have only ever had two MIB G3s, but I've opened both of them. One was Pretty Pop (I couldn't find a loose one at the time and she was cheap) and the other was the 2011 SDCC pony.

The Comic Con pony, I got her off of Hasbro's site and when she got to me, the box was partially smashed on one side and the pony itself had a factory error and since they were sold out before I got her, I knew I couldn't exchange her anyway, so I just opened her and now she sits on top of the TV cabinet in my bedroom. The factory error is kind of hard to describe, but well, you know how she's supposed to have kind of a collar where it looks like she's wearing a suit of some kind that's supposed to stop just before the neck seam? Well, mine stops too far up (meaning they didn't align it properly) and as a result, it's just black up to the seam, so she kind of looks like her head and body don't belong together.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
I am an accidental MOC/MIB collector.

I collect loose and complete but sometimes loose and complete is very difficult so often I purchase the MIB/MOC and hold on to them until I manage to collect the pony loose with all her accessories. Over the years I have done this with loads of ponies but because I pass/trade/sell most on, I only ever have a dozen or so at a time!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline nearlyheadlessnayy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2012, 02:08:17 PM »
I lovelovelove MOC ponies,
I don't have many but still, I'm looking to get lots more when I can.
I think it's just cool to have preserved a moment in time, I talk to my ponies through the bubbles so they don't get lonely :P
Though if I came across a pony on a simply awful card I'd decard her and have the new g1 experiance.
I don't collect g3s, but I've kept my g4's mint in box just cause, I dunno. :P
All my g2's stay in the card if I buy them like that too :)
*Thanks Tinrobo for my avatar! <3**

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:08 PM »
I would consider it sacreligious to open a G1 or G2. That said I never plan to buy them MOC/MIB unless I find them cheap in a thrift store or something. Highly unlikely I will though.. I prefer free ponies and currently only own a Rainbow Dash/Rainbow Flash set MIB, which I don't plan to keep in the long run. Have them unboxed anyway. If I do stumble across some MIB I might keep them though. Have a hard time selling anything due to Norwegian postal services charging an arm and a leg.. Also forgot I have a Fluttershy and another Rainbow Dash boxed. Those I'm keeping for my children though, gifts for when they will not have destruction as the first instinct ^^.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Sternenstaub

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
You guys know me - I'm a heavy Moc/Mib collector ...so I prefer to collect G1 in Moc/MIB condition and I also have all my G3s and G4s only MIB. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal