collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Please help! My custom's all sticky!  (Read 1472 times)

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
Please help! My custom's all sticky!
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:04:48 AM »
Yup, like the title says...

I had my pony up for sale on ebay, she sold yesterday so I went to fetch her to post her off. I picked her out of the box I keep all my customs in and she's sticky!

None of the other customs in there were affected, so I think it's just a problem with this one. It's still wierd, as I seal all my ponies the same way, with a watered down Mod Podge solution, so why would this one go sticky?

I ran her under the tap, but it hasn't helped. I'm too scared to try anything else until I ask the experts, haha!

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful to hear them. I really need to get her posted off right away, and I don't want to send a sticky pony!

Flutter_Valley

Re: Please help! My custom's all sticky!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »
Yup, like the title says...

I had my pony up for sale on ebay, she sold yesterday so I went to fetch her to post her off. I picked her out of the box I keep all my customs in and she's sticky!

None of the other customs in there were affected, so I think it's just a problem with this one. It's still wierd, as I seal all my ponies the same way, with a watered down Mod Podge solution, so why would this one go sticky?

I ran her under the tap, but it hasn't helped. I'm too scared to try anything else until I ask the experts, haha!

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful to hear them. I really need to get her posted off right away, and I don't want to send a sticky pony!

i have the same problem with a pony custom i bought he covered in black paint but he is sticky and his hair is sticking to him because of it its annoying ...if you find the answer i would love to hear ..

Offline simplysteffie

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:17 AM »
I never water Modge Podge down. I had a few ponies that were sticky because I used a spray sealer, I went over them with matte Modge Podge and it took away all of the stickiness without any problems.
WANTED/Will Buy: All TE Locket's, UK Starlight's & pink G1's
My DA: http://simplysteffie.deviantart.com/
My FB: http://www.facebook.com/hottdamnitssteff
Sales on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/hottdangitssteff/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
(Thanks for the avatar Adrean!)

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:01:32 AM »
I have that prob with some customs as well.

I always use the same mod podge and they are all stored at the same place but some of them got sticky over the time.
I tried to seal them again but that did'nt work cuz it was still sticky at all.

Thought about putting them in the fridge, sun or wind lol - crazy ideas and not tried it yet.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:26:29 AM »
You could try spraying over it with Testors Dullcote, or doing a new coatin of mod podge. I water my mod podge down also and dont have it get sticky. May that batch was just too thin or too thick?

Water_Fire

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:29:04 AM »
I never water Modge Podge down. I had a few ponies that were sticky because I used a spray sealer, I went over them with matte Modge Podge and it took away all of the stickiness without any problems.

Really? I've been told by several people to water it down! How odd.

I've never had it happen before. Maybe it's something to do with the pony itself? I've heard of plasticizer (have so spelled that wrong) leeching out of a pony body, but only in the glittery bodied versions.

I think I'll have a go at resealing it when I get home from work, and if it doesn't fix it I'll contact the buyer and see if they still want it or want their money back.

Flutter_Valley

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 02:35:36 AM »
I have that prob with some customs as well.

I always use the same mod podge and they are all stored at the same place but some of them got sticky over the time.
I tried to seal them again but that did'nt work cuz it was still sticky at all.

Thought about putting them in the fridge, sun or wind lol - crazy ideas and not tried it yet.

Ive put them in the fridge that worked but only for a little while i also got a bit of glue and spread it over the pony and its not so sticky anymore and the pony is extra shining too XD but when the warm weather comes sticky all over again but not so bad as before ...only on the tummy is it sticky now though never tried running under a tap as the paint isnt water proof  :cry:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:54 AM »
Try polyurethane varnish, it doesn't turn sticky. ;)

I don't know what's with Mod Podge... I've heard about the stickiness issues in humid conditions but I have no idea why some ponies turn sticky and some don't. Maybe it is something in the pony like you suggested, Water_Fire. I have this one custom (apparently sealed with Mod Podge but I'm not sure) that has sculpted parts. The pony was sticky already when it arrived to me, but the sculpted parts were totally fine. I sealead the whole pony again with polyurethane and the stickiness is gone. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Water_Fire

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 05:07:29 AM »
Try polyurethane varnish, it doesn't turn sticky. ;)

I don't know what's with Mod Podge... I've heard about the stickiness issues in humid conditions but I have no idea why some ponies turn sticky and some don't. Maybe it is something in the pony like you suggested, Water_Fire. I have this one custom (apparently sealed with Mod Podge but I'm not sure) that has sculpted parts. The pony was sticky already when it arrived to me, but the sculpted parts were totally fine. I sealead the whole pony again with polyurethane and the stickiness is gone. :)

You mention humidity, it HAS been hot here for the last couple of days, which could explain it. But why are the other customs totally fine? Ooooh, it's like a mystery!

Can you tell I'm bored to tears at work? Haha!

lunardolls

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Wouldn't running her in water make it worse? Because whenever I wash my ponies that have been sealed with Mod Podge it turns white and washes off.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »
I water my mod podge down and only one custom has turned sticky.  No idea why. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal