collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Meet My Shelly!!! The Most BEAUTIFUL Ball Of Furrr Ever! *UD 23/7/2012*  (Read 9040 times)

Bugle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Meet My Shelly!!! The Most BEAUTIFUL Ball Of Furrr Ever!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 06:31:02 AM »
Thanks for the bit of info! Well, owning one would be neat, but truth be told it sounds like it would be a lot of work. I'd have to be very dedicated.

As beautiful as they are, I may need to stick with Chihuahuas. :)

But congrats on the fox! It's so cute!

It does take a lot of dedication, don't get me wrong, they make fantastic companions, but they take a hell of a lot of socializing, and training, to get to the same level as a dog and a cat.. And no  matter how much work you put into a fox, if you leave them unsupervised, they will destroy whatever you leave with them. They are like the kid who likes to tear everything apart, so they can put it back together... They just fail at putting anything back together.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
:O

SO CUTE GAH.

It's wonderful of you to help Sheldon in this way!  My granny once had a rescue fox.  Her name was Violet and she lived with my granny for several years, until her (the fox's) natural death.  She was really busy, as you said, and a handful, but we all enjoyed her company!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Awww too adorable! :heart:
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
OMG FOXXXX!!!!  He's soooo cute! :lovey:   

Bugle

:O

SO CUTE GAH.

It's wonderful of you to help Sheldon in this way!  My granny once had a rescue fox.  Her name was Violet and she lived with my granny for several years, until her (the fox's) natural death.  She was really busy, as you said, and a handful, but we all enjoyed her company!

What was your granny's foxes name?

And they are SO worth the hassle, just not everyone has the time to spend with them that they desperately need.

Sheldon is at work with me today, as it is far too hot for him to be left in the outdoor pen, or in the house. So he has his little pen here and he can mess around, and of course he is getting picked up and kissed on regular intervals!

Again, luckily it is my place, so I can do this! I wouldn't feel good about leaving him on his own for 8 hours a day at this age, even if it is cool, he is tiny, and needs fed/watered on a regular basis, I wouldn't get any work done worrying about him if he was back at home!

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
Wow, that is really neat. And he looks so cute!
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
He's adorable. I hear they stink a bit skunkish. I know my ferret smells like a skunk even though he's descented. Its in the oils of his skin. Is this about the same for foxes?

Bugle

He's adorable. I hear they stink a bit skunkish. I know my ferret smells like a skunk even though he's descented. Its in the oils of his skin. Is this about the same for foxes?

As kits, for the most part they don't smell bad, they smell like that new puppie smell.

Now if after 5 months of age, you do not neuter/spay them, their urine does tend to stink far more, and is pretty unbearable.

I will be getting Sheldon fixed once he is old enough to avoid this issue, and also due to the fact I have no plans to breed him, and he wont be released.

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
He is beautiful, I adore foxes!  I generally disapprove of keeping wild animals as pets, because so many people get them as a cool pet and then aren't prepared for the work, care, and expense involved (I volunteered at a wolf sanctuary and we had many wolfdogs that had been people's pets and needed rescue, I even wrote my undergrad thesis on the subject).  But it sounds like you are very educated on proper care and that you know the housing and care requirements for the little guy, so GO YOU!  Please post pictures often, he is so cute!

:lovey:  :lovey:  :lovey:

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Bugle

He is beautiful, I adore foxes!  I generally disapprove of keeping wild animals as pets, because so many people get them as a cool pet and then aren't prepared for the work, care, and expense involved (I volunteered at a wolf sanctuary and we had many wolfdogs that had been people's pets and needed rescue, I even wrote my undergrad thesis on the subject).  But it sounds like you are very educated on proper care and that you know the housing and care requirements for the little guy, so GO YOU!  Please post pictures often, he is so cute!

:lovey: :lovey: :lovey:

As hypercritical as it may seem, I am totally against exotic animals being kept as pets, for the exact same reason you state. So many people think it would give them some " street-cred' ". They bring them home, they are cute and small, then bang all the sudden they are grown up, have even bigger teeth, and crap everywhere..

Then all the sudden the mystic and coolness is totally over...

Although this does seems to be the case with most animals here.  As soon as they grow up the excitement fades, and they end up getting tied to trees, or become "outside pets"... (Not saying this is the case for everyone, but I live in the midwest, and it is far more then a regular occurrence!).

But anyway, yes, I don't think exotics make easy pets, in fact currently a lot of states are rehashing their wildlife laws, i.e. what you can keep, and how you have to keep it, etc.. Now I believe that they do need to be revised, but, I think it is wrong to make it a total NO! I think that they need to make some sought of course or examination to prove you have knowledge of the animal you wish to keep.

My state is currently rehashing their wildlife laws, which I think needs to be done, as their is no exclusions to who can own an animal. Animal welfare of course is really important, but the route of the problem is the idiots who are able to get them.. Like the idiot who bought a LION! locally and kept it in a trailer with no proper cage, didn't feed it right... (they were reported), and the lion was seized.. But I wouldn't know anything about that investigation *cough*...

Anyway, need to get off to work, but I will of course post more photos, I have a super cute video of introducing Shelly to the camera for the first time - will upload it as soon as youtube is working again properly!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
You must be JOKING!!! You are officially living my dream :D When I used to volunteer at the zoo, a fox (Sheila) was  my fav and I would spend any free time I could with her, she was so friendly and cuddly.

But I do agree with both you and ZennaBug on keeping wild/exotic animals. As an aspiring conservation biologist I always strongly feel that animals should stay in their natural habitat but in cases such as these I´m so glad little Shelly found a loving home :)

I can´t wait for more pics and videos, i´m completely in love :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Bugle

You must be JOKING!!! You are officially living my dream :D When I used to volunteer at the zoo, a fox (Sheila) was  my fav and I would spend any free time I could with her, she was so friendly and cuddly.

But I do agree with both you and ZennaBug on keeping wild/exotic animals. As an aspiring conservation biologist I always strongly feel that animals should stay in their natural habitat but in cases such as these I´m so glad little Shelly found a loving home :)

I can´t wait for more pics and videos, i´m completely in love :)

All foxes should have names that begin with "S", Sylvester, Sheila, Sheldon.. Great name who ever named her, I almost took Sheldon's sister too, I was going to name her Stella, but I resisted, as I really couldn't handle two at the moment.

Sheldon is going to be having his own website where photos and videos will be available, (along with a youtube page). The aim I have for the website is that it will make information readily available to those who are considering purchasing/adopting as there really isn't any one place where you can find everything you need to know. Some breeders of exotics will send hope a few sheets of care instructions, but they don't tell you how to train, or care for your pet far beyond a couple months.

I had really mixed feelings about buying the domain the other day, as I don't want the site to encourage people to go out and get a fox, but rather if they feel they must, they have the tools they need.. You know?

It is meant with good intentions at least!!

Still waiting on google/youtube to sort itself then I have plenty of video footage to upload.

Even though Sheldon is young, we are learning to lay down on his mat/towel. This is something super simple. He knows that his mat is his place to be safe, and it is a place where he will get a reward, and can have quiet calm time rather then play time. And of course he is being socialized at work, getting used to seeing both men and women, etc.

Start young with good behaviours and it will benefit everyone!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Thank you for sharing this with all of us here. I have only kinda fostered moths and butterflies we have had 3 now that have successfully overwintered with us.

Offline Nonnavlis

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • ~Tiny Space Princess~
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Sure I have no problem answering questions :)

Yes - They truly are as soft as they look. Sheldon currently has his baby fur, although as you can see in the photo, his brownish baby fur is slowly being over taken with the classic redy-orange coat.

Foxes are trainable, I don't know if I would ever call it easy, but they are very intelligent, curious, and intuitive. They often catch on very quickly. Like any animal, you have to work out what they work for, whether it be food, a toy, or a show of affection.

I personally prefer not to use food with any animal I train, as I believe it has the potential to lead to bad habits.

Treats for just the sake of treating an animal is different, as you are not asking them to perform a task, and is purely for their enjoyment :) .

As far as feed, cat food is usually the go to food, this is because it contains taurine, and is easy to find! Once a fox is older, it is always good to add variation, including Chicken, Veggies, Fruit and Rice believe it or not. The more diverse and closer to nature you keep your foxes diet, the happier they will be!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :) I don't bite!

Wow! Thank you so much for the great answers! I would have never guessed that foxes like to eat rice and vegetables. It sounds so strange! I truly thought they were carnivores, truth be told, but I suppose that's because the only experience I have with foxes is when they used to hunt in my yard (We get a lot of bunnies).

Do foxes have a favourite treat? I bet it's the cutest thing ever to watch them dig into a favourite food.

I've also been wondering since my first questions, will you be teaching him how to be quiet like people do with their dogs? Not that I think it's necessary, just wondering. Though, I'll admit a fox's hunting howls is the scariest sound I can think of.

Bugle

Sure I have no problem answering questions :)

Yes - They truly are as soft as they look. Sheldon currently has his baby fur, although as you can see in the photo, his brownish baby fur is slowly being over taken with the classic redy-orange coat.

Foxes are trainable, I don't know if I would ever call it easy, but they are very intelligent, curious, and intuitive. They often catch on very quickly. Like any animal, you have to work out what they work for, whether it be food, a toy, or a show of affection.

I personally prefer not to use food with any animal I train, as I believe it has the potential to lead to bad habits.

Treats for just the sake of treating an animal is different, as you are not asking them to perform a task, and is purely for their enjoyment :) .

As far as feed, cat food is usually the go to food, this is because it contains taurine, and is easy to find! Once a fox is older, it is always good to add variation, including Chicken, Veggies, Fruit and Rice believe it or not. The more diverse and closer to nature you keep your foxes diet, the happier they will be!

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :) I don't bite!

Wow! Thank you so much for the great answers! I would have never guessed that foxes like to eat rice and vegetables. It sounds so strange! I truly thought they were carnivores, truth be told, but I suppose that's because the only experience I have with foxes is when they used to hunt in my yard (We get a lot of bunnies).

Do foxes have a favourite treat? I bet it's the cutest thing ever to watch them dig into a favourite food.

I've also been wondering since my first questions, will you be teaching him how to be quiet like people do with their dogs? Not that I think it's necessary, just wondering. Though, I'll admit a fox's hunting howls is the scariest sound I can think of.

Ok as far as treats - foxes, and all animals have different vices, some have sweet tooths, some like sour, etc. I haven't had Sheldon long enough to work out what his is yet, but I am sure he will let me know, he did manage to get into a packet of cheese (don't ask), and he seemed to love that!

But my last fox, Sylvester, LOVED! yoghurt, couldn't get enough of the stuff. To the point, if I turned my back on my morning yoghurt for breakfast, I would never see the content of the pot again!

And Sylvesters sister, who ended up being fostered by a now close friend LOVED skittles.. Now I don't condone her giving a fox sugar, especially died processed sugar, but each to their own.. She knew exactly what skittles were, and would sit by your side fixated until you gave her one.

As far as being quiet, Sheldon is currently (his first "lesson"), learning to settle, i.e. sit/lie down on "his" place, which currently is a soft towel. He did incredibly well today while at work laying on my desk, however we certainly have some work, but after correcting him a few times, he mellowed out and even took a little nap (which is rather rare for baby foxes to feel that relaxed in a totally new situation).

But back to being quiet on que, I am not fussed, Sylvester was super loud, so I am sort of used to it. I actually love their little cackled "laugh/bark"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal