collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are Pullips unpopular now?  (Read 7794 times)

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Are Pullips unpopular now?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
I want to love the arena again, I really do.
You guys have probably noticed that I come back for a short time and then go MIA (sincerely apologize to those of you who  happen to PM me during my absences)

But I just dont feel home here anymore. I feel like an exchange student walking into this Monster High.

Maybe I should just leave and not come back, and I've tried my hardest. (I don't mean this petty, I'm serious about that comment) I even added the arena to my block list to stay away, but I've been here so long. I've made so many friends, though probably just as many enemies, and it's just hard to turn my back.

And I love that BJDs are starting to pop up a little more on the arena. You guys have no idea how excited I get to introduce you all to BJDs. Being in the BJD hobby, it's completely changed who I am. It's made me a photographer, it's changed my political views, it's made me not afraid to be who I am.  I know that's dumb, because it's just a couple dolls, but for me, it's more.
They're not just my dolls. They're my photography subjects, they're my OCs, they're my little art projects, and they're a huge investment.
I put so much love and energy into my BJDs, and now my new pullip.

And I just love to share that with other doll people. That's what keeps me coming back, because of those of you who are just getting into it. I know people can't easily get into DoA, so if there's anyway I can get information to those who cant get in, then I'd love to <3
And the arena is my home, it has been for so many years. It was my first serious forum, and I keep coming back year after year.

But it's getting to the point where I wonder why.
I don't collect ponies.
Monster High was fun till it just got overbearing.

Now I just want to chat with my doll friends about dolls.
I dont want to talk to monster high people about monster high in depth... and I feel like that's all this is anymore. Obviously it's going to exist, and that's great. Monster high enthusiasts go at it... but as others have said - Pullip people, bjd people, blythe people.... where are you? Wake up!

There is no place on the internet where it's just a doll free for all.
Sure we can say dollymarket, but I've put up with so much immature crap from that forum over the years that I refuse to even think about visiting that site again.

The arena is really the only place to go.
I love everyone's dolls, I do love everyone's monster high dolls too, but it's monster high EVERYWHERE and I'm just exhausted.
I miss the chatter of various types of dolls, of vintage dolls people have found, of all encompassing photo challenges. Just like everyone else.

But I feel that this catering to MH is turning this into a monster high forum. Pushing other doll owners out. You walking into a bar and all you see are signs flashing bacardi everywhere. I doubt you're going to feel confident ordering a glass of wine. If I want a new doll, I'm not going to walk into a doll shop that has only monster high advertisements up.

I don't know... Im making a mountain out of mole hill probably.
It really has been bothering me, apparently I don't like change *says the girl who's currently apartment shopping on the complete other side of her country*  But I just see everything get eaten by monster high... and the fad has been here for almost two years... when in teh world is it going to die down?
I'm not wishing it would go away, just when will it mellow out and the doll house be the all encompassing dollhouse.

Does that explain anything?

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2012, 07:23:41 PM »
What the heck is supposed to be done though? It's very much an us vs them, and it's not very nice.

You do realize MH being the ONLY type of doll being treated "special" (stickies and its own sales forum) is causing us vs. them all on its own, right? To people who do not collect MH, that sends off a very certain message. "Don't own an MH? You're not really welcome here". I like MH. When I see them in stores, I make my boyfriend stop and let me look at them. I used to collect them. But I don't anymore, and they were never my focus. When I get the guts to pot a non-MH thread, it dies very quickly and I'm lucky if I get more than one reply. And not that its a problem with the people replying (<3 chatting Livs with you Luvly), the two Liv collectors I know of are pretty much the only people that reply to Liv threads. Other dolls? Forget it! I was actually pretty miffed when I made a thread about my Tangkou and didn't get a single reply. I would've been happier with something like "she's cute" from a person who didn't even read my post over it being totally ignored for MH.

In short: we do not feel welcome here BECAUSE of all the special status MH is given
(And also how other dolls are generally pretty much ignored, though that's a user issue and not a staff issue, as in staff sticky things and make sub-forums and users only reply)

Basically, read Knibitz's latest post written while I was typing this up.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2012, 07:28:40 PM »
I love how you've explained yourself there. That actually puts a large perspective on your opinions, while before it just sounded bitter (though in your defense it's the interent and I can't help but accidentally read too far into things, sorry).

I don't think this forum should cater to MH too. The first post you made just hit me a bit. Monster High actually gave me something just like your BJDs did. (And now I have a Pullip coming! So she'll be my main girl!) So naturally I bit back. So I'm sorry for that.

I'm still going to stand by my statement of working harder to add more doll threads. Myself included! I hope you get to stay with us, because I would love to see your BJD pictures. :D

@Taxel: Yeah, I'm starting to see it, I replied a bit harshly, though I was misreading into a tone in another post. I'm so used to the other 'us vs them' issue that arise, I had a knee-jerk reaction. And I apologize.

And if it counts at all...I'm a bad lurker sometimes...but I've read almost all of your threads. Maybe I should post more, and I'll try. But I read most of the non MH threads all the time. I think it would help if all of us lurkers maybe take the time to post too. I love seeing all the dolls, and I totally want to get them all. Taxel, your posts were the ones that made me almost grab a LIV doll the other day (sadly it would've been a bad time to spend money) and I also almost got a Blythe. Now I've even got a Pullip! I've always wanted one of those, I love the story threads users post about them.

In the end, my main point that I wasn't getting across well is that I was taking it more as a 'you guys are loser for liking MH' when in reality it was 'we feel like we have no room here'. While I saw the latter, I was focusing more on the former. I do want doll equality here. And I would LOOOVE to see more doll threads.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
I'm sorry, Taxel and Knibitz. I feel partly responsible because I'm one of those members who consumes the content (admires the pictures, wishes she could get stuff from the for sale posts, etc.) but never creates it and rarely comments on it. I feel like that's part of the problem here...there are a lot of members here who enjoy the non-MH stuff but who don't ever say anything about it or encourage it.

:hug:

Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 07:32:11 PM

aellos, you and I appear to be on the same brainwave atm :)

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2012, 07:32:22 PM »
OK. I am going to put in a warning here. This is not an 'Us Vs Them' discussion.

I already explained the MH sales area was created to try and make members happy who complained that the dollhouse was flooded with MH threads.

it is not to make other doll collectors feel unwelcomed, but to clear up the area for discussion and sales of dolls other than MH.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
Not directed at anyone in particular - but could we ditch the drama now please? There is no need for it. This thread is close to being locked.

Thank you

. . . and I see Jupi has beat me to it. :blush:
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
Will stop! Just had to get my apology for acting a butt in real quick was all. P:

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:33 PM »

Don't feel bad for being lurkers guys, at least not with me.
(Though it does feel nice knowing I almost brought another into the Liv scene! ~join ussssss~ ~JOIIIIIIIN USSSSSS~ xD)

I am literally a giant, flaming hypocrite in this situation because I am a huge lurker.
But I've got personal issues with that I need to get over. Like, I don't feel like I have a right to post in discussion threads about stuff I don't own or have little/no experience with (I stalked the Brave dolls thread, and I'm hoping to get her Disney Store version soon!). Like I'd make a Liv chat thread, but I don't feel qualified to do so so I won't. That's not anyone's fault but upbringing and me not being over those issues yet. I read every single thread at least once though, even if I don't keep up with new posts. I know I'm contributing to the problem and I hope to start contributing to the solution.

Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 07:39:17 PM

I already explained the MH sales area was created to try and make members happy who complained that the dollhouse was flooded with MH threads.

it is not to make other doll collectors feel unwelcomed, but to clear up the area for discussion and sales of dolls other than MH.

Members are obviously not happy with it. Why isn't it changed to "Doll Sales"?

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
Doll Arena UNITE.
Lets make an effort to post more!
And I tend to post in a discussion if I find the dolls as something I like. I won't keep up posting, but I'll chat for a bit. I do it on Gaia all of the time. :D
Sadly, I should post on the picdrop threads sometimes too. P:

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:07 PM »
I like having doll sales in the main forum. If it were a seperate forum I'd probably never visit, but since they're posted here I look at every one.

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

:lol: you would have to talk to the powers that be about that one

But I would imagine that we don't put all doll sales in the same area with MH for the very reason that Jadis mentioned. they would get lost, and not many people would look at it.

Offline Chi

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Shame on them, mistreating such lovely flowers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »

(Though it does feel nice knowing I almost brought another into the Liv scene! ~join ussssss~ ~JOIIIIIIIN USSSSSS~ xD)

I am literally a giant, flaming hypocrite in this situation because I am a huge lurker.
But I've got personal issues with that I need to get over. Like, I don't feel like I have a right to post in discussion threads about stuff I don't own or have little/no experience with (I stalked the Brave dolls thread, and I'm hoping to get her Disney Store version soon!). Like I'd make a Liv chat thread, but I don't feel qualified to do so so I won't. That's not anyone's fault but upbringing and me not being over those issues yet. I read every single thread at least once though, even if I don't keep up with new posts. I know I'm contributing to the problem and I hope to start contributing to the solution.
Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 07:39:17 PM

I'm sort of on the same page. I am always thinking of threads to make (not just here but over on the corral, nirvana, WYP, etc) but never do because I'm... Too hesitant. I'm afraid of it dying, or being a complete failure. At least I'm helping with reviving POTD but that's only because I was asked to. I'd be too shy to do that on my own.. ):
I had an idea for something simular to Tuney's ANTM except more of a weekly "challenge" that OTHER people post pictures of their BJDs with whatever the theme is. I just feel like it wouldn't work out..
I at least try to post around, even if I'm not making many threads. ;~;
Still LF: Blue-haired G2 Ivy..Help me find my childhood friend!
Have you seen her? :awake:

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »

I must raise my hand because I do the exact same thing. Sometimes I'm too hesitant also to post a new thread. Like Chi said. XP

I do lurk and see everyone's threads, and one thing I notice when I do: I want to comment, but I don't know how to relate to or what else to say keep the conversation going. >,<;

It'll take effort from all of us to spread the love of all kinds of dolls. If you don't see a thread about your favorite line, don't wait for it to magically appear, take the initiative and make the first step! That first step can possibly spread the love or get others interested!
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline okapishomapi

• Programming Pony
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • NERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »

I had an idea for something simular to Tuney's ANTM except more of a weekly "challenge" that OTHER people post pictures of their BJDs with whatever the theme is. I just feel like it wouldn't work out..
I at least try to post around, even if I'm not making many threads. ;~;

I think this is a wonderful idea - but maybe allow all types of dolls, not just BJDs? That way the MH people can participate, too, and we can have a united Dollhouse once more *cue national anthem and fireworks* Plus some of us Dollhouse regulars (myself included) haven't gotten to the BJD step yet and would prefer to use our Pullips/Livs/whatever. *shrug* of course it's all up to you and I would thoroughly enjoy seeing photos of everyone's dolls!

Ooookay apparently I need to go to bed :accomplished:

edit: typo and clarity

edit 2: okay really, okapi? Learn to express yourself without having to edit a bazillion times  :yikes:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:09:41 PM by okapishomapi »

Thank you, taxel and Antlercat!
Okapi's Want List ~ Fishmeal Ref ~ Shomapi Ref

Offline Flaileigh

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2012, 09:11:10 PM »
I don't see any of it as an issue. (Regards to the MH sales stickie) The forum was even more flooded before it was put up. If the thread was posted as a general dolls sales, there would still be complaints because MH threads would take over there, as well. The problem is people not being pro-active about talking about other dolls, which has been proven by those that are too shy/discouraged to post... Be active peoples! No one will bite!

Truthfully, I was sick to death of Pullip threads. *zips lip*  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal