collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

How do you feel about a time travel swap? (up to 2 votes)

Great!! I'm in!
5 (11.1%)
I'm in as long as it's in fall or later...
19 (42.2%)
I don't think I have the skills for this.
8 (17.8%)
Maybe.
13 (28.9%)
Sorry, not interested.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Gauging Interest: Time Travel Ponies (start mid- October?)  (Read 3124 times)

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
Re: Gauging Interest: Time Travel Ponies (start mid- October?)
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 03:15:43 PM »
Hope so!  : D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
Man, just in case you ever wondered, writing rules is a pain! I'm even reading a bunch of the rules from passed swaps for help. I am about 1/2 way done with first draft.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:51 PM »
How much feedback will be required...I should have 10 by then.

Offline Tinker

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Bwahahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 11:31:15 PM »
Ooo sounds like my kind of swap. I leave myself open to try it in October. I'm writing myself a lil reminder as I type.

I love the idea of a pony that represents a time period. There are so many different styles and eras to choose from. I can picture a whole bunch of lil photographic scenes in my head.

1920s flapper in a speakeasy, a debonair gent in an Edwardian English pub, 1960s hippie protester from Woodstock, retro 1939 World's of Tomorrow come true, or a lady dancing in an 18th century French Rococo ball.

That just off the top of my head... that maaaaay be on a list... if this swap goes forward...

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
Squee!  This is going to be so much fun!

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
Sounds great, I simply must join this  :lovey:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
Ooo sounds like my kind of swap. I leave myself open to try it in October. I'm writing myself a lil reminder as I type.

I love the idea of a pony that represents a time period. There are so many different styles and eras to choose from. I can picture a whole bunch of lil photographic scenes in my head.

1920s flapper in a speakeasy, a debonair gent in an Edwardian English pub, 1960s hippie protester from Woodstock, retro 1939 World's of Tomorrow come true, or a lady dancing in an 18th century French Rococo ball.

That just off the top of my head... that maaaaay be on a list... if this swap goes forward...

I know, they all sound so fun. I also think a pony in a poodle skirt would be super adorable. I am almost done with an '80's pony and she was SO fun. SO tacky, but SO fun. ;) WWII Era stuff is fun, like the G-Rated pin up girl art or a boy officer :) My husband wants me to make him a WWII airborne pony sometime. Ooh, Elizabethan would be hard but FUN as would Renaissance.

While I work on rules, etc.. y'all are welcome to post ponies in historical/futuristic themes (make sure you have permission if they are not yours).

Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 09:29:59 AM

Here's a victorian era sort of themed pony. My Katie Scarlett, now owned by bluemoondreams. However, most people don't work with fabric costumes, so don't get too excited. I also have another period pony I am finishing for a swap that I'll post here when her owner gets her.

Post Merge: May 23, 2012, 09:34:55 AM

I'm also a fan of MacabreDarling's pony Elizabeth Bennett  http://macabredarling.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=168#/d1cv85v
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:34:55 AM by Salli »

Bongine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
This sounds like SO MUCH FUN, I am a huuuuge history buff  :nerdy:
Overloading a pony with era-correct stuff would be SO awesome 8D (research is fun,yay! 8DD)
Hopefully I'll be able to participate ^^

WWI artillery horses anyone? :happy:

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2012, 11:02:48 PM »
This sounds like SO MUCH FUN, I am a huuuuge history buff  :nerdy:
Overloading a pony with era-correct stuff would be SO awesome 8D (research is fun,yay! 8DD)
Hopefully I'll be able to participate ^^

WWI artillery horses anyone? :happy:

I love history too, and I'm all about the accuracy when people are doing living history, having said that I have to say that I'm thinking this will be more of a 'ponies having people experiences' like instead of a pony dressed like a medieval charger, he'd be dressed as a knight. A WWI horse would have a uniform on and a pie-plate hat. Like this-ish [size=78%]http://www.brusselspictures.com/wp-content/photos/WWI-uniforms/USA-WWI.jpg[/size]

You may want to take that into consideration. I do think sending a little cannon/howitzer along with the artillery-man pony would be super awesome! My husband would be super jealous.

So many great themes to choose from! Just a thought to get your mind humming: I am leaving a mere 3 choices of time-period for your partner to choose from along with a kind of 'character-type' description for each one, so be thinking of what you want. ( Like if you chose the Wild West as one of your three time periods, you would then say Saloon Girl or Outlaw or Gunslinger, etc...)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:07:20 PM by Salli »

Offline hyenacub

• Storm Chaser
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hyenacub on Deviantart!
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
I am looking forward to this!  Though...you might not want to limit people too much or they might not have as much interest.  You want to leave people with creative freedom, after all!  Might I suggest that you have people choose three time periods, as you said, and then maybe a choice of three different character suggestions...or the option to let the customizer decide. 

To me, a historically-accurate horse would be as cool as a "human" or "sentient pony character" C:  If that made any sense.

Just some suggestions.  XD

I need pics for my MLP site--go here for info!  http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,384452.0.html

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25:51 AM »
I am looking forward to this!  Though...you might not want to limit people too much or they might not have as much interest.  You want to leave people with creative freedom, after all!  Might I suggest that you have people choose three time periods, as you said, and then maybe a choice of three different character suggestions...or the option to let the customizer decide. 

To me, a historically-accurate horse would be as cool as a "human" or "sentient pony character" C:  If that made any sense.

Just some suggestions.  XD

True, that would be limiting. I just didn't want someone who is a girlie girl picking Wild West and getting a gold miner with a handlebar mustache. Three different character suggestions is a great idea.

A historically accurate horse would be cool but I'm standing by the pony experiencing a kind of human culture or what ponies wold have done in a supposed 1960's Equestria. They don't have to have a person-like costume necessarily, like if you chose the 60's, they could have a flower-power theme. Although I don't even plan to list this in the rules, I think most people's minds are automatically going to go there. There aren't many time periods when a historically accurate horse would be interesting as far as a time-travel swap goes. Like, a historically accurate horse circa 1980.

It would be cool to do a swap with historical representations of horses like Egyptian chariot horse, Medieval chargers, war horses, etc... but that's not this swap, sorry :( Unless you want a war-horse experiencing a war in kind of a human way.

So, is having 3 time periods with 3 character suggestions too limiting and is there a different way to express what your pony might do back in time?

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
Just adding to the warhorse (etc.) discussion, this was supposed to be a persona (or Hasbro pony of choice) swap, wasn't it? Like the vacation swap. So in that sense it might be a bit funny anyway, trying to turn your persona or say Lickety Split into a warhorse. :D An option of course, but perhaps limited to ponies of certain kind of personality. If that's what your persona would like to do should s/he travel in time, I say go for it & mention that in your form, otherwise we'll probably take the human route like Salli mentioned.

I think 3 time periods + 3 character suggestions (or possibly scenes/events? like "My persona visiting the 1969 Woodstock" or something like that...) sound great.   

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

VincentVJ

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
I am interested in this, it sounds like fun.

reyl

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
I love the idea for this! Period costumes are a love of mine, and translating that to pony should be fun. Hopefully I'll have enough feedback by then :)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will go the 3x3 route and Reyl, sign-ups start in September and I'll require 5 feedback, you should be fine :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal