collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever Think Ponies Will Go the Way of Beanie Babies?  (Read 9298 times)

Betelgeuse

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Ever Think Ponies Will Go the Way of Beanie Babies?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:11 AM »
I'd agree with the "ponies were never collectables they were toys theory"
But I have a disturbing theory I have to get off my chest.
How long will G1 ponies physically last? With things like cancer, plastic decomposition and unnatural factors it will get harder and harder to find, restore and preserve ponies as the year goes by.
Sadly even plastic decomposes, it's a good thing when thinking about litter and garbage but heartbreaking when it comes to ponies. I'd like my grandchildren to have G1s.
I am going to say with what i have seen happen to old plastic. if you take good care of the g1 ponies they should last 100 years under ideal conditions (so we have like 70 years left). the plastisizers slowly evaporate out of the plastic and they become brittle ,crack,discolor. and pretty much self destruct no matter what you do.(this is why i have recomended armor-all in the past to try and preserve them and at least slow down the aging process
This topic is going down a very disturbing road... Knowing I'll probably live for around 70 more years (if I'm lucky) I really don't want to see my ponies deteriorate like I do... hopefully Hasbro will make some sort of commemorative release of the most popular G1s.
I'll definitely get this "armor-all" stuff

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:59 AM »
No. They made waaaay more beanie babies than they should have for them to hold their value for collectors, which wasn't what the company was making them for anyway. And the big problem was that all of the middle-aged and up women of the world who didn't otherwise collect toys started hoarding them like mad to make money. Ponies aren't as appealing to people who don't otherwise collect toys and their value is kinda secret from most people. The value of beanie babies was told to the whole world in a short period of time so people started buying up all of them and then they crashed. Stuffed animals don't typically hold their value well anyway. Ponies are no longer available retail (not counting G4) whereas beanie babies still are.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:39:55 AM by HavACrumpet452 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gingerbread

• Gingerbread Junkie
  • Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • TwinkleEyeTastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2012, 10:42:38 AM »
Beanie Babies were just a mahoosive fad that were marketed in a particularly brilliant ( slightly questionable ethically) way.

What better way of making money than making copious amounts of cute cuddly toys, small enough and cheap enough so you can justify collecting them yet numerous and diverse enough to appeal to more or less everyone? then turn around and predict these cuddly toys are the collectibles of the future and - voila - profits upon profits with people screaming for more and fighting each other for the newest releases.

Looking for Newborn Cutie Rainbow Dash set blanket, Lanard Party Ponies pony & dolls sets, and any odd fakies!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal