collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Dangers of Fad Fans  (Read 13665 times)

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: The Dangers of Fad Fans
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2012, 03:48:57 AM »
I always had a love of ponies even though I wasn't actively collecting, it's only recently I've been back into collecting barbies and grand champions and then with FiM burst on the scene... It reminded meof my love for ponies. I've always love figurines and have always picked up something that caught my attention, i wouldn't actively seek it but if it came across my path and I had the cash? I picked it up if I liked it, Uusually horses and animals. Pretty things.

But if this girl really did what she did, why was she allowed to have her opinion and you had to keep quiet? B-slap her. Verbally or physically, whatever gets your point across. If she were my child I'd have  thrown her on my lap and paddled her until the message was clear.

'Keep your hands off my STUFF'

FiM isn't so bad. In fact, I think it's good for the MLP franchise as it's been a long time since they've been this popular.

Offline OctoberFlash

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I like to eat things and brush ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2012, 04:20:32 AM »
Eeyikes that's bad. D:

I got into MLP through FiM - not kidding, if I hadn't gotten into FiM I wouldn't be posting here right now! - and I love customizing... but even I certainly know better than to cut apart a Rapunzel. My first custom was a G4 Fluttershy, and I was super careful with what I did to her because I was nervous I'd screw it up somehow. Honestly, if you're gonna do something like that... do your research :yikes:
Click here for my wishlist!

Every puzzle has an answer :)

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2012, 04:23:46 AM »
Soo sad :( I would never touch a beautiful MIB :( such a waste, I wonder if she can be saved?

Offline EmBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2012, 04:31:42 AM »
The horrors of ignorance more like...

-Em
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2012, 04:51:54 AM »
I must admit I am completely fascinated by this story. Out of all the 500+ US G1 ponies released, this mother had one of the most (if not THE most) valuable US pony, unopened in its original packaging, and her 17 year old daughter chose that one to cut open, cut her hair and superglue rhinestones to her body.

If this story did indeed happen, exactly as described, then i give my condolences to the mother as well as all the heart-broken collectors out there!

sam234uk

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:57 AM »
oh dear......... I wonder if the origanal owner of punzie is happy????? :cry: I know when I started collecting I found a powder puff? Thought her hair was old and ruined and cut it all off, we all make mistakes, Punzie would have gutted me tho, I paid £200 for mine and that was about 5 years ago xx

Lon-san

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2012, 06:46:12 AM »
I don't understand what it is with people doing no research before they dive right in to customizing something that might be valuable.

This reminds me of the people who buy (Takara) Blythe dolls for $$$ and make them "totally cool and gothic" with nailpolish and Sharpies when a brief Google would let them know that a custom job with those materials won't A) stand up to time or B) add or even maintain value if they are hoping to sell it.

Poor Punzie. Why couldn't your owner have sold you off and used the money to buy common baits and supplies?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2012, 07:12:40 AM »
I must admit I am completely fascinated by this story. Out of all the 500+ US G1 ponies released, this mother had one of the most (if not THE most) valuable US pony, unopened in its original packaging, and her 17 year old daughter chose that one to cut open, cut her hair and superglue rhinestones to her body.

This is what makes me think "Yeah, nope, no way." If the mom happened to have a MIP Rapunzel, of which there are only a handful and whice are incredibly valuable, then she'd be aware of what it was and wouldn't just have it lying around for her kid to get a hold of and customize.

I'm agreeing with "pics or it didn't happen" because this story to me just reeks of fiction. I mean it's just too perfect and extreme - it's like if you thought "what is the one pony I could think of that I could say a brony customized that would make all of the G1 fans hate bronies more?? I know, I'll pick one of the rarest and most sought after pony I can think of, oh oh and I'll say she was MIP!"

Sorry if that's cynical and I don't want to call anyone a liar but this whole thing is just so far fetched.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »

This is what makes me think "Yeah, nope, no way." If the mom happened to have a MIP Rapunzel, of which there are only a handful and whice are incredibly valuable, then she'd be aware of what it was and wouldn't just have it lying around for her kid to get a hold of and customize.

I'm agreeing with "pics or it didn't happen" because this story to me just reeks of fiction. I mean it's just too perfect and extreme - it's like if you thought "what is the one pony I could think of that I could say a brony customized that would make all of the G1 fans hate bronies more?? I know, I'll pick one of the rarest and most sought after pony I can think of, oh oh and I'll say she was MIP!"

Sorry if that's cynical and I don't want to call anyone a liar but this whole thing is just so far fetched.

I felt the same way as soon as I first read this story. At first I thought that I was just so horrified that I was trying to deny its existence, but seeing other people feeling the same way makes me feel otherwise...

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2012, 07:26:36 AM »
I don't want to make rash accusations, but I can't help being dubious as well.  It does have a sort of "urban legend" vibe to it, especially Rapunzel having been MIP.

Among other things, Rapunzel was released in 1991, 21 years ago, so how could a mom who had her in her childhood collection have a 17 year old daughter?
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2012, 07:43:16 AM »
GET OUT! *shoves*

What the...wouldn't you want to do research first? *cries*

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Iceglider

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Mommy, Artist, Roleplayer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/creaturepainter
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »
Sad, and why wouldn't it be true? I don't want to believe it, but there are worse things that have happened. Like people defacing some famous work of art because they were trying to "fix it". I've heard of things like this happening. I would rather these things have never happened, but they do. Don't get mad at the person posting.

The mom could have donated the toys to good will and some kid would have gotten her and done similarly. Painted her with nail polish and lipstick and cut her hair. It is devastating to see this kind of thing first hand, especially when the person acts like it is no big deal. Of course they will defend their actions, especially if it is an immature 17 year old who didn't do their research. I'm glad this sort of thing does not happen more often. It is sad when it does happen. Hopefully the rising popularity of ponies will actually bring some more great 80's ponies out of hiding and actually into the loving hands of expectant collectors.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2012, 07:58:44 AM »
OMG even the thought of someone doing that to Punzie...
 :faint: :faint: :faint:
agreed, pics or it didn't happen

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Reaperfox

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
    • Dream Somehow | Geek Lifestyle, Disney & Travel Blog
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »
Gotta admit, I'm siding with the "I think this is a little fabricated" side, personally. The likelihood is just too far fetched, imho. It IS a horror story, alright, just not one I believe :)

Dream Someohw // Art & Nerdy Lifestyle Blog
http://www.dreamsomehow.com

Offline Attercop

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • ~Art~
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »
I'm agreeing here. Pics or it didn't happen.  We're not mad at the person posting but she is throwing some wild accusations around about a person who is not here to defend herself. Also, the fact that she just let it go. I have a hard time believing the story to begin with but for the poster to just do nothing about it. There's something off  here.

~Originally Soull~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal