collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: USPS Customs forms  (Read 1207 times)

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
USPS Customs forms
« on: May 13, 2012, 12:54:16 PM »
After having a terrible visit to the post office this weekend where they didn't have any of the forms that I needed, I've decided that I'm going to start printing the customs paperwork at home.

Filling in the form is easy enough, but what prints out has two copies of the form.  Does anyone know which form that gets printed out is the one that actually gets attached to the parcel? 

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
Re: USPS Customs forms
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »
I dont live in the US so I'm not sure, but I'll give this a  :bump:  for you , and someone who knows more will be along to help you soon :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
I am assuming you are shipping Priority because you can not print First Class online unless it is ebay?  If so there are four copies, only one do you keep for your records.
The post office has special envelopes that you stick to your package and slide the other three copies into.  These envelopes must be used because they need access to the forms inside for customs reasons. 

I made the mistake once and taped them all on to the package.  Big mistake, I got the package back and had to void the label and start over.

Just ask your PO for International Priority Envelopes and they should know what you mean  :)
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
No, they were first class, and were not via ebay.  You can print out the customs forms, you just can't print the postage for it.  Essentially, my Post Office is run by complete morons and when I went this weekend they didn't have small customs forms, and wouldn't just let me cut in line to get the forms, forcing me to wait in line to get forms, get out of line to fill them out, then wait in line again to actually ship stuff.  I'm trying to avoid this issue in the future.

I've never used special envelopes for my customs.  I fill the form out, the woman at the counter gives me the part with the tracking number and attaches the other half.  Printing them online gives two copies of the form - one looks like it expects to be cut (half says "customer copy" and has the tracking number that they usually rip off and give you), but I just don't know if I should attach them or let them deal with it at the post office when I get there.

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:47:02 PM »
I've never done this before, and didn't know it was possible. Honestly, if no one knows, i'd just take them with you when you go in and say, "help!"

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Hmmm..I never knew you could print the labels without paying the postage before. 

The envelopes I am talking about are for Priority, not first class.  I am assuming if you only got two copies then one is for your records and the other is to be attached to the package.   I wouldn't see any need to have to wait to get to the PO to attach it.  They will probably just weigh the package, scan your number that's on your slip and charge you the postage.  It would not be any different then filling out the small customs and attaching that to your item.  But I would look maybe on USPS's site to be sure or ask the next time your at the Post Office.  If I remember correctly those forms you fill out have three parts and the post office keeps one.

I apologize for not knowing anymore, I print most of my labels straight from ebay so it's been awhile since I had to deal with those forms.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Glacia471

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:43:41 PM »
I keep a stock of the small customs forms at home with me (obtained via my local post office), so I've never had to print them online. If your post office allows it, I'd recommend stocking up on 5-10 of the small customs forms so that you can fill them out before you go to the post office :) It sounds like it would save you a lot of time in line.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:43:54 AM »
I also keep a small stack of those forms at home. Also, I think you can order them online for free at the usps.com website and they will deliver them to you.

If you find out the answer to your question, I would love to know what it is though!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:52:02 AM »
I keep a stock of the small customs forms at home with me (obtained via my local post office), so I've never had to print them online. If your post office allows it, I'd recommend stocking up on 5-10 of the small customs forms so that you can fill them out before you go to the post office :) It sounds like it would save you a lot of time in line.

This is an awesome idea and I'm going to try this! ^_^b
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:18:01 PM »
My mom usually ends up shipping my packages for me when she's running errands, so she usually fills out the customs forms. On Saturday, she went to send out a package for a trade I'm doing that needed the customs form, and the lady at the counter ended up giving my mom a stack of the forms to take home since she's noticed her coming in quite often and filling them out. (I guess I trade too much) I actually like this better anyway since now I can just fill them out instead of telling my mom what to write for contents and value, when she may possibly forget.

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:05 PM »
I've done the online forms before. It's super easy and you just keep the half that says "customer copy" and the other copy you can tape directly to the package. Just make sure you sign it or whatever before you tape it. The first time I did this I just took both copies to the post office with a roll of packing tape and asked to make sure and they just told me to tape it to the package and keep my half.
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »
I've done the online forms before. It's super easy and you just keep the half that says "customer copy" and the other copy you can tape directly to the package. Just make sure you sign it or whatever before you tape it. The first time I did this I just took both copies to the post office with a roll of packing tape and asked to make sure and they just told me to tape it to the package and keep my half.

That's exactly what they told me when I stopped into the local office to get more forms this morning - which is AWESOME, since those forms are tiny, and my writing is big and girly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal