collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stupid me fell for Ebay phishing scam - HELP:S  (Read 1969 times)

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Stupid me fell for Ebay phishing scam - HELP:S
« on: May 12, 2012, 11:28:15 PM »
So late last night at around 1 AM here, I was stupid enough to fall for a phishing scam that notified me of a cancelled bid and stupidly was trying to figure out which item by linking in through the item number mentioned. I then "logged in" to a fake site that looked exactly like the Ebay sign in page :shocked:

This morning at around 8 AM I checked the now suspicious email on the net and found out it was definitely a phishing scam and checked my account. Everything looked fine so I did as Ebay suggested on their site and changed my password and secret question right away. That was around 8:20 AM.

I am so nervous about this and need to know if anyone thinks I still might have a problem or have I avoided a huge problem by reacting now :huh:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline StarFaerie

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid me fell for Ebay phishing scam - HELP:S
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 12:53:42 AM »
Do you use the same email address and password used for anything else (eg Paypal, the Arena, facebook)? If you do you should change those passwords and secret questions ASAP too.

Otherwise sounds like you are OK.
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a woman in possession of disposable income, must be in want of a pony.

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
What do they even do when they get your account info like that? Buy out their own auctions?

Offline ponybabe

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 03:06:41 AM »
Do you use the same email address and password used for anything else (eg Paypal, the Arena, facebook)? If you do you should change those passwords and secret questions ASAP too.
Otherwise sounds like you are OK.

The only one I use both that email and password is Facebook, I'll check and see if that looks ok too. Luckily Paypal is with an entirely different email and password so that should be fine :)

What do they even do when they get your account info like that? Buy out their own auctions?

I've read that the scammers can, if you're a seller (I'm not), contact anyone who asked questions about your items or bid on an item and make fraudulent second chance offers. Also they can change your profile information and list fake items to scam people out of their money. They can also sell your account to other people for misuse. Especially an account like mine with over 800 positive feedbacks would be ideal since it makes it easier to scam others since the account looks very trustworthy.

So keep on your toes if you get a message that looks like it's from ebay notifying you of a bid cancellation and if you're unfortunate enough to click on the item number, check that the URL is the correct one for the real Ebay sign in if you click first and think to question it afterwards. I was bidding on a couple of items so I fell for it and also didn't think to check the URL because I was tired :zzz: Usually I don't fall for those scams and promptly delete the message or mark it as a phishing scam. I can see it now since they didn't use my account name in the greeting amongst other things that looked wrong about it.

It looked a lot like this one I found as an example on the net:

Dear eBay Community Member,
The bid that you entered for the item (
200351371549) has been cancelled. You can view the reason provided for the cancellation by selecting the (bid history) link from the individual item page.

Regards,
eBay

Many thanks to Nence for my adorable sig with my cat Chani in it and Btd for my lovely avatar!

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:18:48 AM »
Weird, I got one saying I didn't win SW Buzzer.  Which I don't recall bidding on.  Does not show up on my bids page.  Also weird, e-bay is saying the last thing I looked at was a Barbie case and clothes.  Uhh, nope!   
:socks:   :frog:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:35:26 AM »
I think you should be ok, as long as you changed those passwords.

I had it happen several years ago and ebay actually caught it.  I had received an email similiar to the one you got, panicked and hit the link in the email and signed in.  Ooopsie!! The reason ebay caught it was because whoever was on the other end of that email started listing stereo equipment with my account.   I oviously didn't list anything of that sort ever so it raised a red flag.   

I would just keep an eye on your account both ebay and Paypal for awhile.  I am pretty sure ebay will also since it was compromised and they are pretty good about that, despite what some think.   Now when I get those emails I send them right over to ebay   [email protected]

Hopefully everything will be ok since you caught it right away but like I said just keep an eye on it.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

hikari_amaya

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
This is why we dont check emails half awake. :( Im glad everything seems fine now though :)

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
:hug:  Hopefully you avoided any problems since you acted quickly and changed your password etc, but its best to keep an eye on your account anyways and report the fake ebay email as Ponylady suggested.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 07:58:19 AM »
*hugs* That can be so scary! I know the feeling, I've fallen for one of these as well, just not thinking even though I knew better and it hit me right afterward. >.<

I think you're good with changing your password. Although... is your Paypal account accessible from your ebay account? (I haven't used ebay in years and years so I dunno what the practice is now.) If they can access your Paypal and it's connected to your bank account, you might want to disconnect your Paypal for the time being... I dunno though, just thinking out loud. lol. I'm not really sure the specifics of how ebay works. But I wouldn't want anyone to be able to get your bank routing number or something nasty like that. >.<
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »
My mom got something similar in her email, though instead of eBay, which we don't go on, it was Amazon. The email said something about an order being successfully cancelled and it listed what looked like a book title. The transaction number was hyperlinked, probably to go to the phishing site, as well as the Amazon link at the bottom of the email, but luckily my mom didn't click on them (I had to train her since she tends to get lots of viruses and spyware from clicking things) and just printed the email out and asked me if I had ordered something. Of course, she was worried someone had access to our Amazon account so I went on my computer, logged into the Amazon account and checked the order history and checked her Kindle orders as well. Everything was fine. Just for the heck of it, I searched for the book that supposedly was cancelled, and it apparently doesn't exist. I did a bit more searching around and found a blog talking about Amazon phishing emails and it had a nearly identical worded email on the site. I told my mom to just delete the email and make sure never to bother with it.

It's weird, though, that I never get those types of emails, at least I haven't in the few years since I've switched to using a Gmail account. Back when I used Yahoo (which is what my mom uses) I'd get so many Nigerian scam emails and one time I got one supposedly from Blizzard about World of Warcraft (it said my account has been banned and had a link where I could find out why) when I've never played that game or any other Blizzard game in my life.

Offline RockinPrettyBeats

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »
Those fake emails look pretty real. Don't be too hard on  yourself.

Now that you changed your password and caught the problem quickly I wouldn't worry. Even if they managed to log into your account they can't stay logged in. You know how Ebay is with asking that you log back in when you start doing things.

Speaking of spammers...these people need to get a life. So how does getting into someone's account and sending second chance offers and placing fake bids help them exactly? It's like people that send out viruses. It's hard to imagine how totally pathetic you must be to want to randomly do things like that.

Offline kayveryn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 08:14:27 PM »
I got one years ago telling me if i didn't pay $12,000 for the backhoe i won, my account would be suspended....what on earth would i do with a backhoe? 

kayveryn

RedheadedBeauty

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 12:35:40 AM »
I got one years ago telling me if i didn't pay $12,000 for the backhoe i won, my account would be suspended....what on earth would i do with a backhoe? 

kayveryn

I'm sorry but that's to fun! Who writes up these stupid fake emails?

I'm sorry that happened to you. Hopefully you caught on quick enough that no damage was done.

Offline Jemofirongate

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Sorry to hear the phishers got to you in a moment of weakness :huh: genuine emails will always address you by name rather than something generic so thats a quick way too tell and hopefully foolproof even at 1am! :lovey:
Most Wanted! Megans Place Accessories, Please PM me if you want to sell :-)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »
I always log into Paypal from its secure https:// URL and verify that they sent the message... if they did, there are pop-ups and flashy icons and so on to let you know that Paypal is trying to get your attention. 

If all is well... it's another email scam to forward to their phishing prevention department!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal