collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So what do you call a collector of my little ponys?  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Saiko

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: So what do you call a collector of my little ponys?
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
Being me, a complete nerd who loves language, I think we do need a scientific name! Other collectors get them for classical things like stamps and coins :P Why not us?
So I looked up the meaning of arctophilist, as the hobby most similar to ours on bluemoondreams' list;
Origin:
< Greek  arkto-,  combining form of arktós  bear + -phile

So that just means bear + phile, but there's really only one type of toy that depicts bears. I think our name would have to to be more specific, something that relates only to MLP. Another interesting observation is that the root word is always in Greek.

(I'm keeping the suffix as -philist, rather than -ologist, because that implies a scientific branch, and we don't really study ponies, just love them :P)

So I found a scan of a Greek pony backcard to find the Greek for 'My Little Pony', and this is where my translation failed. Reading the Greek letters, they seem to be a romanisation of the English words, so in effect it's still pronounced 'My Little Pony'? I really need someone who speaks Greek to help me right now! Please help me translate! Once we've done that I guess we just add the suffix -philist and we're done?

Yes I am overthinking this.
:heart:

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »
Y'all don't wanna know what my husband accused me of the other day.  He said I was addicted to internet "pony"ography.  I said, "What, you think I look at pictures of naked ponies all day??"  And then we both just laughed.  'Cause it's true... what can I say?  LOL.

Sounds like something that would happen in our house :silly:

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • Just a little globe-trotting pony. :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:10 AM »
Being me, a complete nerd who loves language, I think we do need a scientific name! Other collectors get them for classical things like stamps and coins :P Why not us?
So I looked up the meaning of arctophilist, as the hobby most similar to ours on bluemoondreams' list;
Origin:
< Greek  arkto-,  combining form of arktós  bear + -phile

So that just means bear + phile, but there's really only one type of toy that depicts bears. I think our name would have to to be more specific, something that relates only to MLP. Another interesting observation is that the root word is always in Greek.

(I'm keeping the suffix as -philist, rather than -ologist, because that implies a scientific branch, and we don't really study ponies, just love them :P )

So I found a scan of a Greek pony backcard to find the Greek for 'My Little Pony', and this is where my translation failed. Reading the Greek letters, they seem to be a romanisation of the English words, so in effect it's still pronounced 'My Little Pony'? I really need someone who speaks Greek to help me right now! Please help me translate! Once we've done that I guess we just add the suffix -philist and we're done?

Yes, you ARE overthinking this... but hey, someone's got to! ;-) I collected MLPs when I was growing up, but have only recently gotten back into it.  One thing I've quickly discovered is that the My Little Pony community isn't just a bunch of overgrown girls in pigtails... we is smart people!!  So you have my full permission to go ahead and rethink this, lol.  I think it's wonderful.  And I would be more than happy to call myself a fellow Mylittleponyphilist. ;-)

~Lochness~

Post Merge: May 13, 2012, 04:56:27 AM

Y'all don't wanna know what my husband accused me of the other day.  He said I was addicted to internet "pony"ography.  I said, "What, you think I look at pictures of naked ponies all day??"  And then we both just laughed.  'Cause it's true... what can I say?  LOL.

Sounds like something that would happen in our house :silly:

LOL. 

P.S. Where do you get those cut animated pony emoticons?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by the amazing SDS; signature by Jennifer2004 -- thank you both!! ^.^

~Pony Wish List~

Offline StarZetRaven

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Your average G2 collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:48 AM »
The Greek name for MLP is sounded out like "Mikro moo poni", translated to "Little/small my pony" referring to a little pony that is mine. Someone correct me if I am wrong.  :silly:
ladywaterfall.tumblr.com

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
Oops.  That should read "cute," not "cut." :-P

Post Merge: May 13, 2012, 05:02:22 AM

That "Ponography" joke was to much. Omg XD . I feel like I should make little underwear for my ponies now.

I always refer to myself as a "My Little Pony Mummy" personally. I'm loving the idea of the scientific names, but they are definitely tongue twisters.

It's kinda fun to come up with scientific-sounding names for our hobby, but yeah... maybe a bit too technical for such a fun group of people. :-)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:02:22 AM by lochnessmomster »

~Pony Wish List~

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
I LOVE the idea of having a name like that- every other collector gets one, we deserve one, too! We're just as serious about our hobby- even if ours is WAY more fun than the others. I call everyone pony people, but come on- if a stranger asks you about your hobbies, wouldn't you love to see the look on their face when they try to figure out what the huge name means? And again when you tell them that it means collecting My Little Pony? I bet it would be hilarious.  :silly:

If you go to "reply" and click on [more] under the regular smileys, you get a TON of adorable ponies to choose from in another window. I wish we could use them everywhere!   :lovey:

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »

I imagined her there  :biggrin:  hehe

*is being silly because EmberBright beat me to it* lol :P

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 05:43:32 AM »

(I'm keeping the suffix as -philist, rather than -ologist, because that implies a scientific branch, and we don't really study ponies, just love them :P )

This was my first thought as well (another nerd linguist here to overthink things with you), however, if you go to the nirvana page, or even Pony Corral you will just see that many people truly do study ponies :) I mean, we´ve even had experiments regarding cleaning and such :D I would say that it's pretty fair to say that both -philist and -ologist can fit here :D

We just need someone with the knowledge of greek or old greek. Google translate also yielded "mikro pony" (μικρό πόνυ) so I guess we could stick to that and have mikroponyologist or mikroponyphilist ^^
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 05:49:20 AM »
I LOVE the idea of having a name like that- every other collector gets one, we deserve one, too! We're just as serious about our hobby- even if ours is WAY more fun than the others. I call everyone pony people, but come on- if a stranger asks you about your hobbies, wouldn't you love to see the look on their face when they try to figure out what the huge name means? And again when you tell them that it means collecting My Little Pony? I bet it would be hilarious.  :silly:

If you go to "reply" and click on [more] under the regular smileys, you get a TON of adorable ponies to choose from in another window. I wish we could use them everywhere!   :lovey:

Ha, that WOULD be hilarious!!  It would make me feel like I had a proper job instead of just a hobby, lol.   :accomplished:

Thanks for letting me know where to find those emoticons.  I'm fairly basic when it comes to chatting on the internet.  A simple avatar and basic keyboard winks, etc. are usually good enough for me.  But those teeny tiny ponies are just so irresistible!

~Pony Wish List~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 06:06:34 AM »
My Little Pony Mommy  ;) 

I say thee neeeeeigh!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 06:11:57 AM »
Wouldn't it still be Plangonologist because mlps still kind of fall under the category "dolls"? I know they are not humans but they are close to being dolls in a sense that you can brush them and play with them like dolls XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:03 AM »
My Little Pony Mommy  ;) 

I say thee neeeeeigh!

Having read all the options and first siding on the Ponyologist side - I like this classic "My Little Pony Mommy"...and I now have the tune going around and around my head lol!

When I asked this question in my house hold..."what do you call a My Little Pony collector"...both my mum and brother answered "broke"....
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline lochnessmomster

• Star of the Sea
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2012, 06:44:26 AM »
My Little Pony Mommy  ;) 

I say thee neeeeeigh!

Having read all the options and first siding on the Ponyologist side - I like this classic "My Little Pony Mommy"...and I now have the tune going around and around my head lol!

When I asked this question in my house hold..."what do you call a My Little Pony collector"...both my mum and brother answered "broke"....

"Broke!"  That's the best answer I've seen yet!!!!   :drunk:

~Pony Wish List~

Offline BrightSide

• Fairy Floss
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • There is a world inside of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:04 AM »

:lmao: Brilliance! :lmao:

I actually tend to use 'ponyfolk'. Though I will be referred to as a pegasister by friends, and really do not mind that at all. I quite like it. :)
Fight like a girl..

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »

It's not our fault we don't clothe all our ponies! There's just not enough clothing to cover them all!  :drunk:
Here, I made her decent. c:

I love you guys:)

And I vote for Chad.
:silly:
You guys are awesome :P

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal