collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Question about G2 Miss Teacher's Tie and G3 plastic  (Read 2238 times)

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
Question about G2 Miss Teacher's Tie and G3 plastic
« on: May 01, 2012, 02:15:58 AM »
I picked up some lovely new girls on the flea market yesterday, including my first G2, a Miss Teacher in seemingly lovely condition.
She is even still wearing the neck tie she came with. However when I tried to take it off, so I could give the miss herself a spa treatment, and her tie a good wash, I realized it was sewn together at the back, so I can't.

I'm just curious, is it supposed to be that way, or did a previous owner make sure she'd never loose it again?
The stitching holding it together does seem rather messy.

I've also got a quick question on G3 plastic.
 I also picked up my second and third G3 yesterday, and I noticed their plastic is fairly rigid, while the Strawberry Swirl I already owned is actually very squishy. Was there so much difference between some of these girls?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:36:17 AM by PandoraFox »

Offline Aienhime

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Question about G2 Miss Teacher's Tie and G3 plastic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 02:27:42 AM »
Haha lol, I also picked up a miss Teacher with a tie yesterday XD I checked mine for you, and her tie is indeed stitched together like yours, so I guess that's intended.

And yes, there's a bit of a difference in plastic quality with gen3 (like with all other gens, I suppose). Some are really rigid and hard while others are particularly squishy. I dunno, I guess some factories just use different plastic or maybe some colours are made with different plastic?

PandoraFox

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 02:40:41 AM »
Haha lol, I also picked up a miss Teacher with a tie yesterday XD I checked mine for you, and her tie is indeed stitched together like yours, so I guess that's intended.

And yes, there's a bit of a difference in plastic quality with gen3 (like with all other gens, I suppose). Some are really rigid and hard while others are particularly squishy. I dunno, I guess some factories just use different plastic or maybe some colours are made with different plastic?

Thank you! Then I guess I have to figure out if I want to try and carefully remove that tie or not.
It's gone a bit grey and grimy, so I may want to give it a wash.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 04:47:52 AM »
I love Miss Teacher....I seriously need to restrain myself from looking at G2s and their accessories...*must not collect...must not look*  :P

The "different plastics" could just be that the "harder" ponies have leached much of their plasticiser so the pliability of the plastic is no more.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »
I've never seen a Miss Teacher lol, the pain of G2s being discontinued early in the US

As for the harder G3. Some were made with harder plastic. Which G3 is it?
I love Miss Teacher....I seriously need to restrain myself from looking at G2s and their accessories...*must not collect...must not look*  :P

The "different plastics" could just be that the "harder" ponies have leached much of their plasticiser so the pliability of the plastic is no more.
That may be true for some ponies but I think this is a case of what kind of plastic the G3 was made with, I've actually bought some new from the store that had the harder plastic.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

PandoraFox

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 05:13:25 AM »

G2's grow on you don't they? I didn't like them at all when I first saw one, but I'm delighted to have my first now. >>

I've never seen a Miss Teacher lol, the pain of G2s being discontinued early in the US

As for the harder G3. Some were made with harder plastic. Which G3 is it?

That may be true for some ponies but I think this is a case of what kind of plastic the G3 was made with, I've actually bought some new from the store that had the harder plastic.

They're Desert Palm and Royalette if I'm not mistaken. I did consider the plasticiser option, but from what I remember reading those ponies are usually sticky. These girls are grimy, so they obviously haven't been washed in a while (I'll be fixing that), but they're not sticky at all.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:34 AM »
They dont have to be sticky...if the plasticiser is all gone and evaporated then it will just leave a "harder" pony

@sd_dreamcrystal...thats interesting...was it a change in manufacture during the line? So earlier ponies are one way and then later ponies the other?
Loa is my love god!

PandoraFox

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 05:21:01 AM »
They dont have to be sticky...if the plasticiser is all gone and evaporated then it will just leave a "harder" pony

@sd_dreamcrystal...thats interesting...was it a change in manufacture during the line? So earlier ponies are one way and then later ponies the other?

Ah thank you. ^^
That's something I didn't know about ponies with plasticiser issues, another thing to keep in mind.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »

It was mostly the later ponies with Turnable heads I believe, though I do have a Shell-Belle that was hard (well harder around the neck but still hard) and didn't have turnable head. I checked her hoof year just to see and she was a '04  while a Pinkie in another pose from '02 was still soft and a Soda Float from '06 (turnable) who was hard.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Gaspode

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+270)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:42 AM »
Nearly all Strawberry Swirls I have come across have been rock hard so I do think its to do with factories/batches rather than leaching anything....
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous siggy and avatar!

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gaspodesponys
Check out my web store: https://www.gaspodesponies.com

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 06:30:59 AM »
Nearly all Strawberry Swirls I have come across have been rock hard so I do think its to do with factories/batches rather than leaching anything....

Or maybe the effect on plastic from different pigments?
Loa is my love god!

PandoraFox

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

Wow, mine is the squishiest pony I own. I can bend her legs in any direction, and completely squish her body with ease, and she'll pop right back into shape.

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:00 AM »

Thank you! Then I guess I have to figure out if I want to try and carefully remove that tie or not.

Actually it's pretty easy to remove G2 heads since they aren't glued on. Maybe you could just do that to get the tie off? Just heat up the plastic (I suggest under a lamp, or you can use very hot water - you'd just have to give her a lot of time to dry) and pull it off. You'd just have to be extra careful that you don't damage the tie but other than that it would probably work...
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

PandoraFox

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 09:52:12 AM »

Actually it's pretty easy to remove G2 heads since they aren't glued on. Maybe you could just do that to get the tie off? Just heat up the plastic (I suggest under a lamp, or you can use very hot water - you'd just have to give her a lot of time to dry) and pull it off. You'd just have to be extra careful that you don't damage the tie but other than that it would probably work...

That, is actually a brilliant idea. I wasn't sure if I should risk beheading her since she's herself isn't terribly dirty, but if there's no glue to thwart my attempt I'll be sure to try it. It also reduces the risk of her not drying properly after I give the basic wash she does need. Thank you. ^^

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 12:15:05 PM »

Give in, Cat, give in to the G2 temptation!!  They have some really great accessories, which I know you'll LOVE!!  Come on, this line has a SAILBOAT playset; how cute is that?!  And the flower swing that comes with Floral & Petal is to die for!!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal