collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tail Washer Size?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline babystarz

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Tail Washer Size?
« on: April 25, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
Can someone please tell me the size of pony tail washers? I'm thinking of getting something like this, but want to be sure to order the right size :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nylon-Washer-5-30mm-11-00mm-Thick/dp/B000FN13WQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335401141&sr=8-1
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Tail Washer Size?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 06:16:07 PM »
Hm, Dunno, can't find one to measure at the moment. How exactly do you plan to use these? I mean, in conjuction with what to hold it is place?

Offline babystarz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
Hm, Dunno, can't find one to measure at the moment. How exactly do you plan to use these? I mean, in conjuction with what to hold it is place?
I was thinking I would use a little plastic ziptie around the tail to replace the metal clamp, then I would fold the tail in half and pull it through the washer and body. Do you think that would remain in place without glue?

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
I was thinking I would use a little plastic ziptie around the tail to replace the metal clamp, then I would fold the tail in half and pull it through the washer and body. Do you think that would remain in place without glue?
Most people get rid of the washers and just replace them with two zip ties. Seems to be easier that way ^^;
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:39:29 PM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline babystarz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:46 PM »
Most people get rid of the washers and just replace them with two zip ties. Seems to be easier that way ^^;
Oh great, there's less hassle for me that way!

Offline okiegurl1981

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://okiegurl1981.deviantart.com/
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
Yep. I quit using washers after my third or fourth custom.  I just use two zip ties now. :)
Facebook | Deviantart | Etsy

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:52:04 AM »
If you are referring to replacing tail washers in a G1, then you want 1/2 inch size washers for adult ponies, and #10 size washers for baby ponies.  Just make sure the pony and tail is entirely dry before using to prevent any rust from being able to form. 

I think using nylon replacement washers is a great idea btw! 

Offline babystarz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
If you are referring to replacing tail washers in a G1, then you want 1/2 inch size washers for adult ponies, and #10 size washers for baby ponies.  Just make sure the pony and tail is entirely dry before using to prevent any rust from being able to form. 

I think using nylon replacement washers is a great idea btw! 

Thank you! I'm kind of waffling between "as original as possible" by just replacing the metal with materials that won't degrade as quickly or damage the pony, and the ease of using two zip ties :P Ideally I want to start making some tails for the pony donor registry (I would have to charge for them, enough to cover the materials so they wouldn't be more than $3 or $4). I think it would be neat if people could buy tails with a zip tie and a nylon washer. But if they fall into the pony as easily as the metal ones, maybe 2 zip ties are the way to go.

Post Merge: April 26, 2012, 11:14:41 AM

Oh great, there's less hassle for me that way!
http://www.mlparena.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=262864.html <-- this should help ;)

This is great, thanks!

Lavender_Lace

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

I was thinking that a zip tie and nylon washer would be great too, especially if you're getting a donor tail that has a clamp that is so rusted it's crumbling or just straight up making a tail out of new nylon.  I like the stability that a washer provides.  The reason why the metal washers would fall into ponies was because of the way the clamp is.  It's small enough to fit through the hole, so after the pony's tail had be brushed a bazillion times, it would wiggle sideways and pop! there went the washer.  Whereas if you were to use a zip tie, you'd have to thread the folded tail through the washer first, then zip tie it.  The zip tie wouldn't fit through the hole so the issue of the washer slipping off wouldn't be there anymore.

Offline babystarz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:59:53 PM »

I was thinking that a zip tie and nylon washer would be great too, especially if you're getting a donor tail that has a clamp that is so rusted it's crumbling or just straight up making a tail out of new nylon.  I like the stability that a washer provides.  The reason why the metal washers would fall into ponies was because of the way the clamp is.  It's small enough to fit through the hole, so after the pony's tail had be brushed a bazillion times, it would wiggle sideways and pop! there went the washer.  Whereas if you were to use a zip tie, you'd have to thread the folded tail through the washer first, then zip tie it.  The zip tie wouldn't fit through the hole so the issue of the washer slipping off wouldn't be there anymore.

Oh great idea, I didn't even think to offer them for old donor tails that need the rusty metal removed! And what you're saying makes a lot of sense, I guess all people would have to do with a nylon washer/ziptie tail is thread the tail through "backwards" as compared to the tutorial :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal