collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cleaning a Styling Star Catcher  (Read 1049 times)

KiwiSquirtBottle

• Trade Count: (0)
Cleaning a Styling Star Catcher
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:42:48 PM »
I've recently come across one of these ladies who was owned by an 8 year old. She's covered in marks (dirt, crayon? and something sticky) but the cool thing is that her colour changing still works just about flawlessly. I would like to avoid ruining that if at all possible.

So what's your advice? Will Oxy clean do horrible things? I'm assuming Acetone would mess it up as well, but I could be wrong. Will too long in hot/cold water mess it up? Could even scrubbing too hard damage it?

Offline Candy_Bang

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Have a happy, colourful day! <3
    • View Profile
    • Looking for WaePonies on Facebook?
Re: Cleaning a Styling Star Catcher
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Hey :] I'm not an expert on this but until someone else comes along at least you'll have some information :]
It's definately possible to wreck and scratch the color-changing lacquer on these ponies. I rescued a 'bait' one too and her colour-changing coating is pretty ruined in places, so be gentle and avoid acetone. I'm not sure what my girl has been through but she doesn't seem to have been played with roughly, so I think the coating is just delicate. I did wash her with Cif/Jif when I got her (mainly to make sure she was disinfected, she didnt look 'dirty') and that didn't seem to do her any harm. I dunno if Oxy is similar stuff?
I've also got a minty girl that I deboxed myself; I've put her in pretty hot water once to make her fully coloured and that seemed fine. My room gets unbearably cold sometimes and that doesn't seem to have had adverse effects on her/them either. I'd probably wait until someone can tell you for definate what damages the lacquer though before you expose yours to anything other than lukewarm water.
Hope this has helped you a bit :]
I'm in search of my childhood Princess Serena/ Aquamarine with blue and gold tinsel. Have you seen her? <3

WIP Wish List here: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,298148.msg227145.html#msg227145

WaePonies! Please like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WaePonies

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »
I just know that some people have been using acetone to take the colour changing layer off, so i would definitely not use that!
first thing I´d recommend for marks is Magic eraser but that might damage her as well :S
Personally, I´d just try light scrubbing with soap and see where that gets you.

good luck!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
Baby wipes! Weird...suggestion but there is nothing in them that should cause issue but they are good at removing dirt...hopefully that will get rid of the "something sticky" and "dirt"...as for the crayon thats a tough one..acetone or boiling water will damage the coating...hopefully someone has a different suggestion
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
I saw somewhere that baby oil (dab it on and let it sit a couple minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel) works to remoe crayon from plastic. I have no clue what it would do to the color changing laquer, though. Seems a gentle enough idea, othwerwise,

KiwiSquirtBottle

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
I'm fresh out of babies to wipe. Any ideas of what the solution they're soaked in is made of?

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:04 PM »
Are you on pintrest? I saw a post on there a few weeks ago about homemade baby wipes. I'm gonna hop on there and see if I can find the link for you... From what I remember its some pretty basic stuff, and nothing that seems like it would be damaging...

EDIT: FOUND IT! Here is the link to the blog its on!! Hope this helps!

http://theehingers.blogspot.com/2010/10/homemade-baby-wipes.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:29:06 PM by Cate_Dartfinger »

KiwiSquirtBottle

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
Truthfully, I'm not sure what pintrest is, really, so I've stayed away. Thank you for the link though! I'll check it out.

And thank all of you for your advice. I'll be sure to post before and after shots, and what did/didn't work.

Offline Candy_Bang

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Have a happy, colourful day! <3
    • View Profile
    • Looking for WaePonies on Facebook?
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 03:06:50 AM »
I'll be interested to see. Good luck!  ;)
I'm in search of my childhood Princess Serena/ Aquamarine with blue and gold tinsel. Have you seen her? <3

WIP Wish List here: http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,298148.msg227145.html#msg227145

WaePonies! Please like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WaePonies

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 03:51:13 AM »
I'm fresh out of babies to wipe. Any ideas of what the solution they're soaked in is made of?

Lol...I dont have any babies to wipe either but for some reason in my house baby wipes are used for EVERYTHING!

The tutorial looks very cool for make your own.

Cant wait to see how you get on fixing her up.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal