collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: understanding unicorns  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
understanding unicorns
« on: April 19, 2012, 07:45:47 PM »
Watching FIM Season 1 with my hubbie...yes he is a bronie. But he made an observation. Unicorns can move things with their horns...but why cant they move their own body. They can create force bubbles...but not fly or float. Yes they can wink/appear in another spot but no floating or flying....why?
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
Re: understanding unicorns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 07:48:04 PM »
Only Lilpip can do that. :D Hehe. I really don't know. Seems kinda impossible when you think of the physics of it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 08:13:33 PM »
Pumpkin Cake floats with her unicorn magic, actually!  I'm going to assume that some adult unicorns can do the same.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
I totally have to re-watch that episode:) so is it like the scootaloo deal ehen some peguses cant fly?
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

Offline lemontwist

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »
I would assume it is just a difficult bit of magic to do. You can tell some "spells" require a lot of effort so it's probably like that. It must be doubly hard for ponies whose special talent isn't ALL magic, lol.
Sales - Pony and Doll Wishlist!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
The Trixie episode, where Spike is making a list of the different spells Twilight can do, seems to imply most regular unicorns only have one or two particular talents (which reminds me a lot of the G1 unicorns, who each had only one special power, like making bubbles or making the wind blow or speaking mind-to-mind... well except for the ability to wink in and out, which they all seemed to be able to do). It was said that Twilight is a particularly powerful unicorn, so she can do a bunch of different things.

There's probably some unicorns out there where floating is their 'specialty' ;)

Edit: It's super late at night and I'm half asleep, I hope I'm remembering the episode right lol
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Flickerswift

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:16 PM »
They can float, if they've got enough magic power. Twilight Sparkle does it several times in the series. But she's like, the badest of the bad when it comes to magic. Most unicorns, like Dragonflitter said, are not that awesome and only get magic related to their talent. Except, they all get mage hand, apparently.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:05:29 PM »
The Trixie episode, where Spike is making a list of the different spells Twilight can do, seems to imply most regular unicorns only have one or two particular talents (which reminds me a lot of the G1 unicorns, who each had only one special power, like making bubbles or making the wind blow or speaking mind-to-mind... well except for the ability to wink in and out, which they all seemed to be able to do). It was said that Twilight is a particularly powerful unicorn, so she can do a bunch of different things.

Edit: It's super late at night and I'm half asleep, I hope I'm remembering the episode right lol
Considering Twilight's special trait is magic, it's kind of given she can do more than normal unicorns.. I think. Rarity, like most, has an ability to control objects and make them float but she has gem finding magic which we've only seen her do. Sweetie Belle seems to be in the same boat as Scootaloo... we haven't seen her use magic yet (We have seen evidence for Scoot that she really can't fly, seeing in the Gabby Gums episode :) )

Pretty much I think it depends on Skill Level with the magic bit.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 05:33:51 AM »
in episode 2 season 2 of friendship is magic(the return of harmony) twilight sparkle creates a bubble shield around the main 6 and floats them to the ground to protect them,

see this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-bNEffdkw&feature=fvsr
posted the first one i found, please excuse the extra music.

Post Merge: April 20, 2012, 05:40:14 AM

Considering Twilight's special trait is magic, it's kind of given she can do more than normal unicorns.. I think. Rarity, like most, has an ability to control objects and make them float but she has gem finding magic which we've only seen her do. Sweetie Belle seems to be in the same boat as Scootaloo... we haven't seen her use magic yet (We have seen evidence for Scoot that she really can't fly, seeing in the Gabby Gums episode :) )

Pretty much I think it depends on Skill Level with the magic bit.
not true! in the rock dogs episode twilight sparkle showed she could find gems also, she said that rarity had showed her how she does it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:40:14 AM by mlpfan »
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 05:52:35 AM »
In the original G1 My Little Pony cartoon, Unicorns could wink out (disappear) and reappear somewhere else. This was sort of they're main magic power on the original show.

And I think Twilight Sparkle has disappeared and reappeared in an episode if i remember rightly?

In the original cartoon I think I remember a unicorn having trouble winking out. So MLP Unicorn's do have a history of being able to disappear and reappear. Maybe some Unicorns are just better at it than others.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline mlpfan

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 05:57:29 AM »
In the original G1 My Little Pony cartoon, Unicorns could wink out (disappear) and reappear somewhere else. This was sort of they're main magic power on the original show.

And I think Twilight Sparkle has disappeared and reappeared in an episode if i remember rightly?

In the original cartoon I think I remember a unicorn having trouble winking out. So MLP Unicorn's do have a history of being able to disappear and reappear. Maybe some Unicorns are just better at it than others.

yes twilight sparkle can teleport herself, and with difficulty herself and spike as seen in different episodes.
"I'm too dense to get the hint about the filter" :drama: Pony H OOVES IS BEST PONY! :cool:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »
I literally squealed out loud the first time Twilight did that, and shouted "G4 Winking!" XD
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 07:22:07 AM »

In the orginal show - and it depends on how far you go back the Unicorns had one talent like Fizzy and her bubbles and the ability to wink in and out - which was limited - they could wink only short distances - and only across open space.  Baby Ribbon was the unicorn that had trouble winking - and that was only winking back in - sometimes only part of her would appear, while the rest remained invisible.

In the pilot episode -- only Twilight demonstrated the ability to wink in and out and for that she had to say "I wish, I wish, I wish" however she seemed to be able to take objects with her like the rainbow of darkness, where in the show the unicorns couldn't carry anything while winking.

On the backcards, comics and books, however the unicorns had quite a bit more magic. Moondancer cast a spell on Cotton Candy to put her to sleep until winter because she ate her bluegrass and wildflowers, she also has the ability to glow at night.

Of course, in the books, comics and backards even some earth ponies can do magic - like Toosie making lollipops appear whenever she mixes up her words...

Unicorns show related abilities
Buttons - power to levitate things
Gusty - power to blow gusts of wind from her horn
Ribbon- Telepethy
Fizzy- Bubbles
Galaxy - can make her horn glow

Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 07:53:27 AM »
not true! in the rock dogs episode twilight sparkle showed she could find gems also, she said that rarity had showed her how she does it.
It's been a while since I seen that episode so I forgot about that XD It wasn't one of my favorite episodes anyway XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
To me it seems that Twilight keeps learning new stuff as the series goes on. In the first season I think I remember her saying something about the 'winking' that she wasn't sure she could actually do it when she 'winked' herself and Spike somewhere. In season 2 she winks all of the mane 6 + Spike without any problems. She also mentions how Rarity taught her the gem finding thing. She keeps getting better at magic all the time.
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal