collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone else noticed quality issues with Dollyhair?  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Anyone else noticed quality issues with Dollyhair?
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:01 PM »
I got my first order from Dollyhair a little while ago.  Some of the hanks seem very nice, while others the hair is... less than perfect.  The strands are kind of kinky and uneven in diameter, giving the hair a very noticeable texture when you run it through your fingers that isn't present in the original MLP hair.  Am I alone in noticing this, is it a recent problem?

Virgin Snow - uneven
Firebird - slightly uneven
Atomic Turquoise - uneven
Electric Banana - uneven
Pussycat - uneven
Heartthrob - slightly uneven
Arctic Frost - fine
Key Lime - fine
Sugarberry - fine

The fine hanks came from (presumably) an older lot since I got them second hand through the Arena.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Anyone else noticed quality issues with Dollyhair?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:04 PM »
Some of them are like that sometimes. It's just a part of the manufacturing process. Once you actually start working with the hair most of the little "kinks" work themselves out just from handling and brushing. Other hair is sometimes a bit oily, again from the manufacturing process, but a quick shampoo fixes that easily. It's not a sign of a quality problem, it's perfectly normal.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »
So it's normal to expect uneven thickness in the hair strands?  *sad pony*
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by uneven thickness of the hair strands.. individual strands of hair are pretty consistent in size....

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:33 PM »
Mine aren't.  I doubt I could get it to show up in a photo, but all of the strands are.. lumpy. Instead of being smooth the way original pony hair is, they have a slightly variable diameter all along the strands that makes them feel textured and dull looking.

Offline JoshsPonyPrincess

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
It can also be due to colors she is getting low on - as you get closer to the inside of the spool (that is how it is stored) the hair tends to have those problems. Should be able to fix it with some boiling water.

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Hm, again, I don't think they're really uneven. If it's what I'm familiar with, it's just the slightly kinky feel to the hair. Handling, brushing, and sometimes washing or hot water generally take care of the problem. I've never had any dollyhair color or hair type not end up nice and smooth.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
I'm not really sure what I'm going to do now.  I don't really want to rehair the pony I was planning on restoring only to find out it's going to stay lumpy and weird.  :cry:

Do you think I should try boiling it first?  I've never boiled pony hair, arg.  I just wanted nice hair to fix my poor Lady Flutter with.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:16 PM »
That is odd I have never had that issue owo yes perhaps try boiling and brushing it, can't hurt to try.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
I've never had really bad issues with them. In my last order a hank of hair I got was a little tangled, but that worked right out with some gentle brushing. I've noticed that the hanks I get are typically a little uneven from time to time in strand length, but it hasn't been anything some trimming hasn't cleared right up. Normally the only thing I have issues with is static when it is first taken out of the bag! XD

I would suggest boiling it/giving it a shampoo or condition, and brush it. If anything, you could hair a few plugs on the pony and then just let it set for a few days and see what happens.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
Tried running boiling water over the hair and brushing it with my flea comb, seems somewhat improved now that it is dry. Thank you very much ladies (and gentlecolts) for your expertise. Disappointing I have to "fix" the hair before I can use it, but at least it is fixable!
 :awake:

Offline kittybethy

• Trade Count: (+266)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Life is way to precious to spend it being cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:35:30 PM »
I've never noticed that before! Yikes!  I hope it's not  a habit!

Offline natevansate

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Customs
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:49 PM »
Hey Baby Sugarberry, everyone is correct as it is to do with the manufacturing process. There is a large range of the nylon hair that has the texture, but it does come out with ease. Nate

visitors can't see pics , please
register or login

I want a Baby Ribbs army! 2 loose, 1 MIB and 1 MOC argie!

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
I have a bunch of dollyhair back home, it was my first order and I got it a few years ago (the box that comes with 50 different colors). I didn't check every lock of hair, but I did notice that each group of hair strands (hair plugs?) down the line was a different thickness. As has been said, I believe it's a manufacturing thing... even real MLPs have uneven hair in the plugs.

Not sure if this is what you meant, just thought I'd share! :p

Offline NoDivision

• Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
Disappointing I have to "fix" the hair before I can use it, but at least it is fixable!
It's a supply like any other - not everything is manufactured to be instantly up to our perfect standards, sometimes things take a little work. No harm in that ^_^  It's certainly not a "quality" issue with dollyhair, that's just the way it's made. The hair you get from DH is about the best quality hair you'll find anywhere. Try using the hair from dollar tree or some cheap kanekalon from a beauty supply and then you'll really have some fixing to do XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal